2019 Wonderlic scores/Bob McGinn

This account has a lot of tweets today about The reports from Bob McGinn (former Packers beat writer/bobmcginnfootball.com who talks to a lot of scouts and then writes a report every year). Also dropped some scores fwiw 

QB scores (according to NYG board)

Ryan Finley 43
2. Gardner Minshew 42
3. Daniel Jones 37
4. Easton Stick 32
5. Clayton Thorson 32
6. Will Grier 30
7. Brett Rypien 28
8. Jarrett Stidham 27
9. Drew Lock 26
10. Tyree Jackson 25
11. Dwayne Haskins 25
12. Kyler Murray 20

https://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=581991

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Wonderlic only matters when it comes to QBs.  All of these QBs scored well.

I would be interested in the wonderlic score for a C and a MLB.

edit: I looked up ours for fun

Morse: 29

Edmunds: 22

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would be interested in the wonderlic score for a C and a MLB.

The bar is much lower for a kick returner, but Leodis reminds us that it’s not irrelevant. 

• Haha (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Wonderlic only matters when it comes to QBs.  All of these QBs scored well.

It matters if it's crazy low.

If it's like Leodis McKelvin or CJ Spiller low then it will most likely surface as it did with them.

A lot of what people perceive is "instinctive" reaction are movements sped up by the ability to process seemingly basic info and be in better position to make plays.

Like as a RB being able to recognize where the hole is going to be on a run play based on an observation of the defensive alignment when you already know the play and line calls.     CJ clearly never knew where he was going until he got the ball.........which *sometimes* resulted in defenses over-pursuing to the expected point of contact and CJ running to daylight for huge gains somewhere else entirely.........but more often resulted in some seemingly inexplicable runs into his OL backs while the hole was on the other side of the field in All-22.

Leodis was the same way in coverage.    His elite speed wasn't enough to cover for his inability to recognize where the ball was going in time to react "instinctively".  

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 6

I always love reading this stuff, and I'm sure there are plenty of kernels of truth. On the other side of the coin, though, is this:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/172974292/nfl-draft-anonymous-scouts

The Psychology of the Anonymous Scout

One may wonder why scouts speak anonymously to the media in the first place. What's in it for them? Some believe that it's to drive draft prospects down for the benefit of their teams, though any general manager or head coach putting his draft board together based on what a bunch of guys said in a newspaper or online should probably be looking for alternate employment....

More to the point, Jeremiah believes, is the gradual diminishment of the scout in most front offices. It's not like it used to be, when super-scouts like 
Jack ButlerJack Vainisi and Bill Nunn drove so much of the personnel pipeline to teams that drifted on their evaluation talent and were recognized as such. Nowadays, scouts are primarily well-traveled clerks, whose work is mere fodder for the alleged bigger brains higher up the food chain.

"The media and the general public ... a quote will come out from an anonymous scout, just ripping a player, which I totally don't agree with," said Jeremiah. "I don't think that's your place to trash a kid. I don't believe in that. And the second part is, they'll get railed at for not putting their name on it. And I'm thinking, 'You do realize that if any scout puts his name on something like that, he's done. He's fired. It's over.' And he might be shut out around the league, because he has a reputation as a guy who talks to the media. So, that's not even feasible. It's not happening."

It would be extremely valuable for media and fans to hear from scouts on a regular -- and regulated -- basis. It would add to the discussion of player value and projection, and it would allow those scouts who have seen their roles diminish to have a more prominent voice.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

JJ Arcega-Whiteside is a guy who, if he was there in the third, I’d be happy with. Just seems like a poor mans AJ Green where you know you’re gonna get 50-60 catches, 800 yards, and a couple great contested TDs each year. Seens like a perfect fit for what we have right now.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Augie said:

The bar is much lower for a kick returner, but Leodis reminds us that it’s not irrelevant. 

if not at draft time, then certainly after involvement in 40 or so kick returns