Whaley is an idiot.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Allen wasn't acquired with capital from the Mahomes trade.

They got Tre White and the pick they traded up for from Tremaine Edmunds out of the Mahomes trade.   So White and like 3/4 of Tremaine Edmunds for Mahomes.

There is zero chance those two will ever justify passing on a stud franchise QB if Mahomes remains that.    None whatsoever.    That's just the value of the position it dwarves every other position in value and impact on a franchise.

The hope is that passing on Mahomes to (a year later) choose Allen works out like passing on Marino to select Jim Kelly did.    

Yeah Marino is remembered as the greater QB in league scope and has the much greater stats and the longer NFL career that Kelly didn't...........but Kelly was ALSO a HOF'er and his team owned Marino for most of Kelly's NFL career.   

so you are telling me honestly you didn't think it was a good trade when it happened? I agree Mahomes is  a stud franchise qb but no one thought he would be this good right away. If anyone says they did then they are lying. I loved Mahomes coming out of college and wanted buffalo to draft him but i wasn't all that upset when the trade came through. Getting another #1 was huge. I was more upset we passed on mahomes to draft a CB. They didn't love Mahomes there is nothing we can do about it. He came out of nowhere last year and put up huge stats, so whats to say Allen doesn't do that this year and Edmunds becomes an all pro MLB. We have no clue

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Marino vs. Kelly is how I can see Mahomes vs. Allen playing out. The one guy had all the great stats, especially in his first year as starting QB, but the other guy is the one you want on your team in a big game. 

i agree! I'm so sick of all this we should've had mahomes talk, we are stupid for not taking him. We should've had Tom brady too but passed on him . We passed on jj watt , we passes on aj green , we passed on a whole bunch of other guys too. Everything is easier to complain about after we see them play ion the nfl for a while.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wsam4031 said:

so you are telling me honestly you didn't think it was a good trade when it happened? I agree Mahomes is  a stud franchise qb but no one thought he would be this good right away. If anyone says they did then they are lying. I loved Mahomes coming out of college and wanted buffalo to draft him but i wasn't all that upset when the trade came through. Getting another #1 was huge. I was more upset we passed on mahomes to draft a CB. They didn't love Mahomes there is nothing we can do about it. He came out of nowhere last year and put up huge stats, so whats to say Allen doesn't do that this year and Edmunds becomes an all pro MLB. We have no clue

It was absolutely a bad trade in real time.   The franchise was in desperate need of a franchise QB.    Punting on QB decisions on draft day is what the Bills had always done prior to Josh Allen.   Always.  Never been all-in on a QB prospect and selected him.  Allen is the first QB picked by the Bills with their first first round pick...........or traded up for with their first first round pick in ANY draft since 1960.   Shocking but true. 

Really comes down to this:

The organization dropped the ball by not hiring Beane in January.    Made no sense.  Two record setting young franchise QB's were subsequently selected in the first round after the Bills traded back.   Billsy.   The proper move as always was to fire the old GM(Whaley), hire the new one(Beane) and keep the scouts until after the draft and then there are no excuses.   Keeping Whaley as a shackled GM was Peguliulous.  Your ownership can't allow that to happen.   Get your staff in place and attack the offseason.

And bear in mind.........I love Tre White.   People were underwhelmed with him because he had little draft buzz but he was the complete package and my top CB in the draft.   Loved the Edmunds pick too.......just not as a MLB.    Fan of the Allen pick as well.   But QB trumps all and Mahomes and Watson are what we hope Allen can become.      

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/22/2019 at 12:01 PM, BillsfaninSB said:

I find it difficult to target any one person for missing Mahommes.   It was a time of transition.  Easy for things to get missed.  I was lukewarm on Mahommes and Watson and didn’t think much of it at the time when we didn’t draft them. 

If anything, blame ownership for not getting the new GM in place prior to the draft.  But maybe that was out their control.

i think the lesson here is don’t trade down a top 10 pick.  Also, I think the mantra of always picking BPA in the top 10 - 15 is ridiculous.  You understand your biggest weakness and address it.   Keep your pick and get the guy who can make a great impact where you need it.  Unfortunately, the Bills have a lot of places to get much better this year. 

Agreed and if Mahommes and Watson were to be hyped, they would have gone 1 and 2 in that draft.  The fact that no one traded up for them in the top 5 meant that several NFL teams did not think much about them. 

On 4/21/2019 at 7:24 PM, Tipster19 said:

I’m not even going to bemoan that he passed on Mahomes but it never ceases to amaze when I hear him say publicly that he didn’t know. It’s almost comical.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26561055/drafting-patrick-mahomes-how-chiefs-outmaneuvered-nfl?platform=amp

Yes, he is; most folks here thought he was a great GM when he actually was our GM, however.

That's how this place tends to work.