Whaley is an idiot.

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

"How can you not respect a guy who swings for the fences?"

Um, with great ease? With very little effort and for obvious reasons? I could come up with more.

Swinging for the fences and striking out isn't something a decision-maker should be cheered for. A home run hitter who leads the league in HRs and strikeouts? Maybe. But an executive who leaves the team with a career record under .500? Not hardly. The Watkins trade was a swing for the fences, but it looked awful from minute one.

For execs, swinging for the fences means squat. Building an excellent team is what you should be judged on. He didn't do that.

And again, that front four you're going on about were all Nix gets.

I would disagree. He built a very good team minus quarterback. If he could of landed one he’d still be here. He made bold moves to improve the team. I’ll take that any day over a GM scared to make the wrong move and stands around with his hands in his pockets all offseason. Every GM job in the league hinges on having a quarterback and that was his downfall. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Ive said that before. But they know their team better than us. It's possible they didn't feel like the offensive staff was in position to develop a QB. They were right about that. Mahomes would be on his 2nd offense already.

An intelligent response, thank you

18 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I would disagree. He built a very good team minus quarterback. If he could of landed one he’d still be here. He made bold moves to improve the team. I’ll take that any day over a GM scared to make the wrong move and stands around with his hands in his pockets all offseason. Every GM job in the league hinges on having a quarterback and that was his downfall. 

The Bills were minus not just the quarterback. They were also minus precious cap space and draft picks.

Whaley had the discipline of a 7 year old alone in a candy store.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, jahnyc said:

It is hard to forget the Whaley era when the NFL Network rebroadcasts recent drafts, including the 2014 draft where we traded up to the fourth pick in the first round to select Sammy Watkins, giving up our first round pick in 2015.  We could have selected Mack or Mike Evans with that pick, or stayed at our original spot and selected Beckhan or Donald.  In the second round, Whaley selected Cyrus Kouandijo.  Still painful.

Exactly. All the Whaley defenders like to gloss over his absolutely ABYSMAL draft record in favor of his UDFA/FA pickups.

47 minutes ago, WRONG JOSH said:

The real head scratcher here is that the Bills passed on a strong armed QB with accuracy and footwork issues whose AMAZING passing numbers made you wonder if it would translate to the NFL... and INSTEAD 1 year later took a strong armed QB with accuracy and footwork issues who had terrible passing stats. Look at Mahomes' college stats vs Allen's and it's clear who they should have bet on if they were going to try and develop someone with a big arm. Mahomes had as many passing yards as Allen's senior season in 3 games!

Hey, welcome back little buddy!

How's "right josh" looking these days?

From the 2017 draft, 4 out of the 6 chosen are on the roster. (No Peterman or Vallejo)

Tre White and Matt Milano, I am sure everyone is happy with.

Question marks remain over Dawkins and Zay.

Dawkins was drafted as a Guard if I recall correctly. Is he truly our franchise LT?

If Beane decides to draft back to back OL in the 2019 draft with the 1st 2 picks (e.g. J. Williams and Risner), will he even start?

Beasley appears to be an immediate upgrade over Zay in the slot, some people believe he won't make the final 53 man squad.

We could start 2019 with only 3 of the 6 picks from the 2017 draft, irrespective of who was calling the shots.

What I would like is the the buck to stop with Beane. Friendship or not the GM should be higher up the pecking order than the Head Coach.

5 minutes ago, quincy said:

This imo is not true. It is about the team winning, not about having a "good" corner for a few years. The Bills did not have a good quarterback. They walked away from an already great one as well as another very promising qb (Watson) and drafted a cornerback. There can be no justification in this.

Stupidity like this is reminiscent of the Levy/Jauron years.....an almost unmatched era of idiocy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Whaley is an idiot for passing on Mahomes but McD is a genius for drafting Tre White...

Do people really believe Whaley was calling the shots in a draft where he would immediately be fired upon its completion?

Yes... I'm told as much when I say this is McD and Companies third draft this year.  Can't tell you how often I'm told it's only the second. 

6 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

This imo is not true. It is about the team winning, not about having a "good" corner for a few years. The Bills did not have a good quarterback. They walked away from an already great one as well as another very promising qb (Watson) and drafted a cornerback. There can be no justification in this.

Stupidity like this is reminiscent of the Levy/Jauron years.....an almost unmatched era of idiocy.

I wanted the Bills to draft Watson. I thought it was what we needed, a player who I thought would bring a national exposure to the Bills and solve the quarterback problem.

We have the earlier post saying after Trubisky and Mahomes were gone, the Texans owner instructed the GM to get Watson.

Pegula could have given similar instructions. Why did he cede so much power to a rookie head coach? 

In time I think McDermott will face further heat regarding the 2017 draft, as time elapses it will get worse especially if Zay and Dawkins continue to be average at best.

• Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, quincy said:

From the 2017 draft, 4 out of the 6 chosen are on the roster. (No Peterman or Vallejo)

Question marks remain over Dawkins and Zay.

Dawkins was drafted as a Guard if I recall correctly. Is he truly our franchise LT?

If Beane decides to draft back to back OL in the 2019 draft with the 1st 2 picks (e.g. J. Williams and Risner), will he even start?

Beasley appears to be an immediate upgrade over Zay in the slot, some people believe he won't make the final 53 man squad.

We could start 2019 with only 3 of the 6 picks from the 2017 draft, irrespective of who was calling the shots.

What I would like is the the buck to stop with Beane. Friendship or not the GM should be higher up the pecking order than the Head Coach.

Not sure why people question Dawk. That was a solid draft. 

pathetic thread. never understood why some people are so obsessed with the man. move on. he has. if he was as incompetent and horrid as people say, then why continue to post about the man? he's now 2 years removed from the organization. just weird.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

The real idiot is the people that think Whaley was calling any shots in this Draft. 

Dude, why do you have to be offensive?

I think Whaley was calling the shots and several people who know me don't think I'm an idiot.

I don't think McD had the time or resources to control the draft.  He was immersed in his new job and didn't have a bunch of scouts on his staff.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

The Bills were minus not just the quarterback. They were also minus precious cap space and draft picks.

Whaley had the discipline of a 7 year old alone in a candy store.

Same can be said for New Orleans.. Dallas.. Plenty of teams are constantly at the cap and give out bad contracts and reworking deals to get under. Plenty of teams throw away future picks on questionable moves. The saints traded up to grab Davenport or whatever his name was last year and gave away a first to do it. I’m not a Whaley homer or nothing but people judge him unfairly was the whole point of my original post. 

The winding road of our franchise history is literally littered with poor decision making, personnel moves and flawed organizational direction plans. If we took the time to highlight each of those architects and enabling folks who were involved, we wouldn't then have time to do another mock draft, criticize the analysis of who will be drafted at #9, or figure out the for sure wins and losses in our recently released schedule!! And that, at this time of year, would be a travesty of epic proportions.;)

However, I haven't seen a Pats themed thread posted anytime within the past 48 hours, so I'm good either way.:P

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Dude, why do you have to be offensive?

I think Whaley was calling the shots and several people who know me don't think I'm an idiot.

I don't think McD had the time or resources to control the draft.  He was immersed in his new job and didn't have a bunch of scouts on his staff.  

Ahhh the typical I am ok to call someone an idiot, but then again when it is thrown right back in my face I get offended.

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Same can be said for New Orleans.. Dallas.. Plenty of teams are constantly at the cap and give out bad contracts and reworking deals to get under. Plenty of teams throw away future picks on questionable moves. The saints traded up to grab Davenport or whatever his name was last year and gave away a first to do it. I’m not a Whaley homer or nothing but people judge him unfairly was the whole point of my original post. 

I hear ya bro and I don't want to appear harsh with you.

If Whaley produced wins, I would soften my tone wrt his ability as a GM.  That said, I doubt that he will ever again work in that capacity.

Jmo.

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

I hear ya bro and I don't want to appear harsh with you.

If Whaley produced wins, I would soften my tone wrt his ability as a GM.  That said, I doubt that he will ever again work in that capacity.

Jmo.

I agree his time here ended in failure and he deservedly lost his job, but it was an impossible situation for any GM to succeed in. Just a little shocking so many people hate him to me. 

7 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

I'm going to need oven mitts for your scorching hot take. RGIII and Kap's successes are nowhere near compared to what Mahomes accomplished this year with his arm.

That's why I made the distinction between RG3's and Kap's good seasons and Mahomes awesome season. That way no one would get confused...

The point was that those 2 were heralded to be the next great QBs in the NFL, yet they fell off the Earth because neither was nearly as good as many people thought. Therefore, we should wait to see if Mahomes can duplicate his success.  

Whoever ran that draft for the Bills was an idiot.  We handed the Chiefs their franchise QB for peanuts.  We swapped down to 27, got their 3rd pick at 91, and their 2019 first round pick.  Don't give me draft points and all that crap.  We needed more picks to let them move up 17 spots in the first round.  And if the Bills didn't know that the Chiefs were picking Mahomes, then shame on them.  The Bills ***** up, clearly.

• Awesome! (+1) 1