Whaley is an idiot.

35 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

You can't coach 50 TD's and left handed passes. The kid is a stud and would have been a stud anywhere. There's no reason to suspend belief in order to suit a narrative.

If Josh is the real deal, it won't matter.

Here is how people rated Mahommes prior to the draft.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/patrick-mahomes-a-case-in-the-complexity-of-draft-scouting

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/patrick-mahomes?id=2558125

What I was saying was that the combination of Mahommes,  Reid and the Chiefs offense were a Match made in heaven for the young QB to blossom and he truly did...Congratulations to him.   

His scouting  reports are very similar to that of Josh Allen.  Hopefully Josh will have the same succcess with McDermott

Know what pains me the most about that trade, that we traded with the wrong team. Who knows if the Houston deal was on the table, but would have been nice to get lucky and have taken the Houston deal. 4th overall+ a 1st (around 25 I think Houston had) in the current draft sure sounds a lot better than 27th overall+22nd overall in the next draft. 

56 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Leading up to the draft the were rumblings that Whaley liked Deshaun Watson.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2017/04/buffalo_bills_gm_doug_whaley_in_love_with_clemson_qb_deshaun_watson_report.html

If true and the Bills were drafting a QB they probably would have went with Watson over Mahomes anyway.

And we never would have heard the end of passing on Mahomes in that situation. 

Hindsight is a wonderful gift.  Unfortunately, it is unavailable to everybody until it's too late.  KC had better insight into Patrick Mahomes than everybody else in the league.  It would have been nice had Buffalo been the team that possessed that insight, but I'm not going to single Buffalo out.  There were other QB needy teams that were also clueless about his elite potential and the steep learning curve that Mahomes would be able to manage.  It should also be noted that KC changed their playbook to incorporate a lot of the stuff Mahomes did in college.  That is another item that is to their credit.  I don't think Buffalo had the offensive coordinator who  was capable of doing the same thing at that point.

Moving ahead to the last draft, I think Buffalo did much the same thing with Josh Allen that KC did with Mahomes.  Buffalo saw upside where other QB needy teams saw a project.  Lots of people thought Buffalo "settled" for Josh Allen, where Brandon Beane thought he was getting a gem.  Allen is still not a finished product, and it's still possible he could disappoint in his second year, but it's also possible he could blossom into a great one.

No way that Whaley and his staff were going to call the shot on the Bills' next attempt at a franchise QB.  Trading down and getting more ammo for the 2018 draft was all about deferring the QB choice to the next GM.  That is typically a selling point to the next GM hire.  The pool of prospective GMs that would be ok with not being able to select the HC  nor the QB would be tiny.  Whaley was a lameduck, Beane was lined up and the QB choice was deferred.  Makes 100% sense to me.

1 minute ago, Bills2ref said:

Know what pains me the most about that trade, that we traded with the wrong team. Who knows if the Houston deal was on the table, but would have been nice to get lucky and have taken the Houston deal. 4th overall+ a 1st (around 25 I think Houston had) in the current draft sure sounds a lot better than 27th overall+22nd overall in the next draft. 

From what I have read, the Texans, who were also all over Mahomes, didn't think Mahomes would go early.  Once Trubiksy AND Mahomes had come off the board, it was reported that Texans owner Bob McNair told GM Rick Smith to do whatever it took to get Watson.  Houston, as many will recall, had been a playoff team with a very good roster that had always been missing the QB since the franchise began.  Even though the draft room wasn't especially excited about it...they were forced into it by the owner......and given that they had missed the first 2, and even not really liking Watson...Watson has in fact been the franchise QB Houston was lacking.  Not a bad consolation prize.  

Here is the Houston War Room as they were drafting Watson....Rick Smith either just farted.....or he's the only happy guy in the room about getting Watson.

RickSmith.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

I think Tipster owes Whaley an apology 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cbd247d516b724d41

Actually, I'm surprised Rico hasn't stopped by to take his usual dump on Whaley.  He usually never misses an opportunity 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

You can't coach 50 TD's and left handed passes. The kid is a stud and would have been a stud anywhere. There's no reason to suspend belief in order to suit a narrative.

If Josh is the real deal, it won't matter.

Exactly, I’m more concerned with Josh Allen than any of this. If he continues to progress, we’ll have our guy. At that point none of this will matter. This topic only allows the inexplicable amount of Whaley fanboys to come out of the woodwork. I’m quite pleased with Beane so far, and totally over Whaley. 

Not surprising that Whaley didn't expect a QB; he was from the school of thought that you don't draft a QB until you absolutely have to.  He may have expected them to take a WR, but Davis & Williams were already off the board and the next WR taken was Zay Jones.

plenty of Red Raider 'Air Raid' system QBs put up numbers in college and flopped in the NFL (Colt McCoy).

An earlier poster noted Reid tailored a system to Mahomes, and has the clout and background to get the most out of QBs.

Mahomes and Reid is a terrific match that maximizes both. It's wonder twin powers joined together.

I'm pretty happy with the Bills future despite this flub. KC was already loaded on offense for Alex Smith. Josh Allen is the right guy to grow with the Bills IMO.

Edited by RocCityRoller

2 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

plenty of Red Raider 'Air Raid' system QBs put up numbers in college and flopped in the NFL (Colt McCoy).

An earlier poster noted Reid tailored a system to Mahomes, and has the clout and background to get the most out of QBs.

Mahomes and Reid is a terrific match that maximizes both. It's wonder twin powers joined together.

I'm pretty happy with the Bills future despite this flub. KC was already loaded on offense for Alex Smith. Josh Allen is the right guy to grow with the Bills IMO.

Yep, I was completely uninterested in Mahomes coming into the draft. I thought he had bust written all over him. I’ll also admit to being completely wrong. No one should talk as if he were a sure thing. Keep in mind it was common knowledge that the 2018 QB class would be one of the strongest in years. Waiting a year to draft a franchise QB didn’t seem like a bad idea if you weren’t sold on Mahomes in 2017. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

Give credit to Andy Reid for coaching up  Mahommes in  the NFL.  For all you might know, Mahommes may not have flourished in Buffalo.  Remember he was projected as the 3rd or 4th best QB that required a kong time holding the clipboard.  

Let's pass judgement after we see what Mahommes does this season. I'm sure there have been plenty of QBs that had a good (in this case awesome) early season and then... RG3 and Krap come to mind, but I'm sure there are many, many others.

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Let’s not forget that it was the front office’s ‘twin devils of deception’ (Brandon and Whaley) lobbying to not let Rex out of the building.  

Thanks, and a tip of the hat to Johnnie Cochran for that gem of a phrase.

I will never believe that Whaley, in any way, endorsed Rex Ryan coming on as HC.  Rex's presence instantly negated nearly everything Whaley had done with the defense.  And it showed.  Thanks, Kim!!