Whaley is an idiot.

I don't agree with a lot of the posts on here, it is indeed pretty ridiculous that Whaley thought that they wouldn't draft a QB because they had Alex Smith on the roster - his age and middling play spoke for itself, and a trade of that magnitude giving up a future first round pick wouldn't be for a wide receiver or something...oh wait

The minute KC moved up with us, who here didn't expect them to get Watson or Mahomes? Not me that's for sure

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Whaley is doing great in the NFL 2019 based on his Buffalo performance; oops, sorry, my bag, not in the NFL anymore! 

He's not in the NFL anymore!?  Well, whattayaknow.  Thanks for pointing that out.

27 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

I’m not even going to bemoan that he passed on Mahomes but it never ceases to amaze when I hear him say publicly that he didn’t know. It’s almost comical.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26561055/drafting-patrick-mahomes-how-chiefs-outmaneuvered-nfl?platform=amp

The real idiot is the people that think Whaley was calling any shots in this Draft. 

Read EXACTLY what I said. Whaley publicly saying that he didn’t or doesn’t know should be embarrassing for him. He is SUPPOSE to know and if he doesn’t then at least shut your mouth about it, don’t confess that you didn’t know!

1 minute ago, Tipster19 said:

Read EXACTLY what I said. Whaley publicly saying that he didn’t or doesn’t know should be embarrassing for him. He is SUPPOSE to know and if he doesn’t then at least shut your mouth about it, don’t confess that you didn’t know!

Wow.

A) He's out of the NFL.

B) He's acknowledging something he knows doesn't paint him in a flattering light WITHOUT throwing McDermott under the bus.(It's HIGHLY likely that he was not even given the opportunity to draft a QB)

C) Strange flex.

32 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

McD was calling the shots that draft, not Whaley.  Been discussed many times before.

The fact it was discussed doesn't make it true.  All the scouts worked for Whaley.   The entire scouting process was under Whaley's control. 

Why would McD make the actual picks?  The supposition defies logic.  

I think a lot of teams were skeptical about QB's coming out of the Big 12---the spread offenses, high scoring games, less defenses, & some previous Big 12 QB's not panning out. I think the majority of this board wanted Mahomes as did I----but I do like Josh.

I can’t believe how much hate Whaley gets on here sometimes. How can you not respect a guy who swings for the fences? The only thing he didn’t do, and what cost him his job was land a quarterback. If he got anywhere near close to a top 15 quarterback he’d still be here and this team would of been riding the playoffs. We can point out all the silly moves, like Bryce brown from philly or whatever his name was.. But Whaley made some absolutely amazing moves here and some questionable ones too, all in all that defense under Schwartz was lethal and one of my favorite seasons to watch ever of buffalo football. That front 4 was the nastiest I have ever seen on a field. Every play they hit the quarterback it was lovely. It was time to move on so I didn’t have a problem with the firing but I would of preferred fans to show him a little more respect, was a complete sh** show for that guy here. From marrone bailing, to ortons retirement, to the stupid Rex show and a team being sold with uncertain future and then the new owners. It was a job doomed to fail. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Gugny said:

An idiot who built a top 5 NFL defense, only to be torn down by Kim Pegula hiring Rex Ryan.

And everyone on earth was surprised that the Chiefs traded up to get Mahomes.  Don't act like it was a given.  Far from it.

The top ten defense was built with all but two players brought in under Buddy Nix. And the two acquired by Nix were neither standouts. Preston Brown and someone else. Lorax, maybe? I forget, but that's not the heart of that defense.

Agreed on Mahomes.

Edited by Thurman#1

I'm always confused by the discussion of the 2017 offseason and draft. When Whaley was still with the Bills, they brought in Hyde, Poyer and Hauschka. They drafted White, Milano, Jones and Dawkins. Seemed like a pretty good offseason to me, but everyone is trying to bash Whaley for whatever his part in it was. Strange.

Edited by vincec
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, QCity said:

Whaley worked on that trade with Dorsey for weeks.

Being on the phone isn't being in charge. I can assure you of that from many times when my boss had me negotiate things over the phone after telling me what he wanted. I wasn't the one with the power or the decision maker.

McDermott was in charge.

IMO, it's far too strong to say that Whaley is an idiot. He's not. But he wasn't as good as either McDermott or Beane. He didn't have an overarching plan. And he left us screwed on the salary cap when we were a mediocre team. Our cap looked like a team at the end of a Super Bowl window and we didn't have the wins to make that kind of a fiscal problem necessary. And he didn't draft very well, though his pro personnel decisions were good.

7 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

The top ten defense was built with all but two players brought in under Buddy Nix. And the two acquired by Nix were neither standouts. Preston Brown and someone else. Lorax, maybe? I forget, but that's not the heart of that defense.

Agreed on Mahomes.

Whaley was there for those drafts and he was part of them.  His scouting history supports that.  I'll never say Whaley was a "great" GM.  But he did a good job in Buffalo during a time where there was absent ownership, at best; and he was ridiculously and disrespectfully undermined by new owners who had no effing clue what they were doing.  The guy was set up to fail from beginning to end, in my opinion.