Whaley is an idiot.

An idiot who built a top 5 NFL defense, only to be torn down by Kim Pegula hiring Rex Ryan.

And everyone on earth was surprised that the Chiefs traded up to get Mahomes.  Don't act like it was a given.  Far from it.

• Like (+1) 20
  • Thank you (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

I’m not even going to bemoan that he passed on Mahomes but it never ceases to amaze when I hear him say publicly that he didn’t know. It’s almost comical.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26561055/drafting-patrick-mahomes-how-chiefs-outmaneuvered-nfl?platform=amp

The facts show he was good as a scout but not a GM.

except:

Whaley said last week that he didn't know the player the Chiefs were after and didn't suspect it was a quarterback, despite the steep move from 27 to 10.

"Not at all," said Whaley, who was fired shortly after that draft for reasons not having to do with the Mahomes trade. "The Chiefs played it right. With Alex Smith on their roster, we didn't think they were coming up for a quarterback.

"From our standpoint, we had a new coach, and we thought the trade gives us a chance to drop down and still get a really good player and still have two [first-rounders] the next year. At the time, it was something we thought was very beneficial for the Buffalo Bills. In our situation, we thought it was a win for us and a win for them. They got the guy they wanted. We got the guy we wanted and an extra first-round pick the next year."

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

I’m not even going to bemoan that he passed on Mahomes but it never ceases to amaze when I hear him say publicly that he didn’t know. It’s almost comical.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26561055/drafting-patrick-mahomes-how-chiefs-outmaneuvered-nfl?platform=amp

McDermott made the draft decisions in that draft. Whaley established the board and then was neutered when the picks were made. After the draft all the scouts were dispatched. 

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

The facts show he was good as a scout but not a GM.

except:

Whaley said last week that he didn't know the player the Chiefs were after and didn't suspect it was a quarterback, despite the steep move from 27 to 10.

"Not at all," said Whaley, who was fired shortly after that draft for reasons not having to do with the Mahomes trade. "The Chiefs played it right. With Alex Smith on their roster, we didn't think they were coming up for a quarterback.

"From our standpoint, we had a new coach, and we thought the trade gives us a chance to drop down and still get a really good player and still have two [first-rounders] the next year. At the time, it was something we thought was very beneficial for the Buffalo Bills. In our situation, we thought it was a win for us and a win for them. They got the guy they wanted. We got the guy we wanted and an extra first-round pick the next year."

I don't believe Whaley had the latitude to draft a QB based on the reporting I've seen. Not sure it would matter who the Chiefs were targeting. According to the article, there were several teams interested, but nobody was willing to outbid the Chiefs. It's also possible that a few GM's would want to retroactively have been all in on Mahomes.

• Like (+1) 1

If Allen goes on to have a productive career, this trade with the Chiefs won't mean as much.

But if Mahomes goes on to be the next Brady & Allen somehow busts (even though i highly doubt he will), this coulda woulda shoulda passing on Mahomes will go down as another chapter in the big book of Bills mistakes imo. Regardless of who was making the draft decisions that day.

• Like (+1) 6

It is also the unwritten rule that you do not ask when a team rings you to trade up "who you taking?" And even if you do ask the other team won't tell you. 

When the trade flashed up I was pretty sure KC were picking a Quarterback. Didn't know whether it was Mahomes or Watson. 

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't believe Whaley had the latitude to draft a QB based on the reporting I've seen. Not sure it would matter who the Chiefs were targeting. According to the article, there were several teams interested, but nobody was willing to outbid the Chiefs. It's also possible that a few GM's would want to retroactively have been all in on Mahomes.

I agree that most thought of Whaley as a lame duck.

The reason he was on the way out and no one has picked him up as a GM since is what I was talking about.

Great talent evaluator not so good in team building and savvy GM stuff.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Do people really believe Whaley was calling the shots in a draft where he would immediately be fired upon its completion?

Well, unless he REALLY screwed up; that wasn't the case.  Whaley's departure was a foregone conclusion prior to the draft.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Well, unless he REALLY screwed up; that wasn't the case.  Whaley's departure was a foregone conclusion prior to the draft.

I’m sure Pegula knew he was going to fire Whaley before the draft. Given how much power McD was given right away, there’s no chance he let Whaley make that move on his own.

If you want to be mad at someone for passing on Mahomes then point the finger at McD. Hopefully his pick of Allen makes us forget all about it.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

McD was calling the shots that draft, not Whaley.  Been discussed many times before.

Whaley is doing great in the NFL 2019 based on his Buffalo performance; oops, sorry, my bag, not in the NFL anymore!