OL Jonah Williams takes it to another level.

10 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

There is only one black mark against Jonah Williams. Clelin Ferrell appeared to schooled him in the national championship game.

For only like 3 plays.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-draft-2019-inside-the-battle-between-clemsons-clelin-ferrell-alabamas-jonah-williams/

18 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

The consequences of a Dlineman win vs. Olineman win are very asymmetric. It only takes one bad play by the Olineman to send the QB to the hospital.

That said, I do like Jonah Williams. He is one of the top 3 Olinemen in the draft. Just that I would prefer Jawaan Taylor or a Cody Ford over him. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/21/2019 at 3:43 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yep , Williams would be a good get !

Except he has physical limitations that might make him better in the interior in the NFL. I say no on Williams or any OL at pick 9 unless all the quality DL are gone as well as Hoch.

Edited by The Jokeman

I can see the draft falling where no elite players are available at 9. If that's the case, Jonah could be a nice solid guy there, along with Dillard, Taylor,Hock, Wilkins, or Ferrell/Burns. Nothing spectacular, but solid for years to come.Hate to spend a 9th overall on such a pick, but whatyda do....

I dont know how much upside Jonah Williams has left. Alamaba coach the Oline well.  He already seems to get it mentally, physically he is not dominating and plays with good technique and footwork.  He sounds like a guy who has reached his ceiling to me.  What  does that looks like as an NFL lineman?  Idk probably ok most the time but can get overwhelmed by the elite guys.  That is not the kind of pick I want in the top 10.  

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I can see the draft falling where no elite players are available at 9. If that's the case, Jonah could be a nice solid guy there, along with Dillard, Taylor,Hock, Wilkins, or Ferrell/Burns. Nothing spectacular, but solid for years to come.Hate to spend a 9th overall on such a pick, but whatyda do....

I’m with you, but would add that the 9th pick in round 1 is in no way destined (nor really expected) to be a super star.  Finding a good starter at a key position is a win - anything better is gravy.

23 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I dont know how much upside Jonah Williams has left. Alamaba coach the Oline well.  He already seems to get it mentally, physically he is not dominating and plays with good technique and footwork.  He sounds like a guy who has reached his ceiling to me.  What  does that looks like as an NFL lineman?  Idk probably ok most the time but can get overwhelmed by the elite guys.  That is not the kind of pick I want in the top 10.  

I’d hope for better than that, but realistically, getting a good starter is good at 9th overall.  At that point, you have to weigh what position he is a good starter at and if that is worth it vs other options.  If Williams can be a good, not great, starting LT then by all means he is worth the 9th pick (IMHO).  BUT, if he is only a good OG who won’t likely be resigned after his first contract, then look for other options.

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m with you, but would add that the 9th pick in round 1 is in no way destined (nor really expected) to be a super star.  Finding a good starter at a key position is a win - anything better is gravy.

I hear ya bud...but if there ain't 10 possible elite players available in a draft, its a pretty weak year IMO. And IMO this year, the top 5 is solid, but drops considerably after that. Of course, there's always a 6th rd Brady to be had...just gotta match up the value, and hope for the best. C'mon Thursday!

Spreadsheets are great. I've made a career out of them. But he won't be a top draft pick because of that. It will be contingent upon his physical abilities. If he is physically dominant already and able to translate that to the NFL, that's when the extra stuff comes into play like game prep and spreadsheets. That could take him to another level, but only if the physical ability is already there.

I'm sure there have been a lot of smart players that prepared in innovative ways that washed out of the league because they couldn't match up physically.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, BuffAlone said:

I hear ya bud...but if there ain't 10 possible elite players available in a draft, its a pretty weak year IMO. And IMO this year, the top 5 is solid, but drops considerably after that. Of course, there's always a 6th rd Brady to be had...just gotta match up the value, and hope for the best. C'mon Thursday!

I think we are saying the same thing - it might be the case that a good, not great, OL is BPA.  In that situation, I might prefer Christian Wilkins at DT because he fits a bigger need than a good OG or maybe OK OT, but Williams is younger than Wilkins and *might* therefore have more upside.  I think I prefer a DT over an OG, but both fit the character profile that the Bills are looking for.

12 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think we are saying the same thing - it might be the case that a good, not great, OL is BPA.  In that situation, I might prefer Christian Wilkins at DT because he fits a bigger need than a good OG or maybe OK OT, but Williams is younger than Wilkins and *might* therefore have more upside.  I think I prefer a DT over an OG, but both fit the character profile that the Bills are looking for.

Yup, I think we agree

13 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Except he has physical limitations that might make him better in the interior in the NFL. I say no on Williams or any OL at pick 9 unless all the quality DL are gone as well as Hoch.

“I think that it’s a small portion of what it takes to be a tackle at the next level,” Williams said. “I think if you look at a lot of the really successful tackles over the past 10 years from Joe Thomas, Joe Staley, Jake Matthews, Jason Peters, La’el Collins, Riley Reiff, Ryan Ramczyk -- just a couple of guys off the top of my head that have short arms -- I don’t think that that’s necessarily a huge deal.

“I think I’m proud of the way that I play, my approach to the game. That’s what makes me a great player. So, if my fingers were an eighth of an inch longer, it might be good enough.

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/2019-NFL-Draft-Alabama-Football-OL-Jonah-Williams-responds-to-questions-about-his-arm-length-129586064/

20 hours ago, The Senator said:

I knew nothing of this when months ago I started calling for the Bills to take Jonah Williams, but I feel even more strongly about him after reading this.

He’s ready to start at LT.  Move Dawson inside.

JMO

We cant move Dawson inside until we track him down and sign him.?

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Haha (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Strange, I thought Dion Dawkins was under contract thru 2020.

In fact, I’m sure he is.

Lol You typed Dawson bud not Dawkins.  I forgot my sarcasm emoji but if you actually read both post you shoulda have been able to figure that out.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

22 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good job by his agent.  Trust me, I’m not questioning his work ethic but there’s a reason this got out.

Good post and it’s a good question.  Do want solid or superstar but bust potential?  I think at worst Williams becomes a solid to good G.  Alabama o linemen are so hard to predict because they play next to 5 star recruits every where.

Agreed, scares me with guys who play on a dominant Dline like Clemson, its easier to make an impact when you're not the lone player everyone is watching out for.  But hasnt J.Williams been a 4 year LT starter at Bama?  Thats a pretty good floor to me. And everyone using his maxed out his potential already as a negative because other players have room to grow blows my mind.  This guy seems to have no wholes, other than short arms?, but is as well rounded and experienced as you will ever find in college.  Taylor might be more athletic but JWill seems incredibly safe

Edited by BillsMafia13