OL Jonah Williams takes it to another level.

Interesting. Teams will love that about him. The way he prepares like that at such an early time in his career, teams will eat that up. Be interesting to see where he lands.

1 minute ago, Tipster19 said:

If the Bills’ were to trade for Gerald McCoy then draft Williams at #9 then that wouldn’t be too hateful, filling/strengthening 2 areas of DL/OL.

That would be good, then somehow trade back into the 1st, maybe somewhere in the 20's and get the TE or WR they like. I'd be happy with that myself.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

2 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

My realistic list is still:

1. Ed Oliver

2. Jonah Williams 

3. TJ Hockenson 

Would be be very happy with any of the three. All are instant starters, process guys who will be a huge upgrade at their position. 

This is probably my exact , realistic list. I do think if Beane and Co fell in love with a likely top 5 pick, I don't see him hesitating If the price is right.

Also TJ is also becoming more and more intriguing the more I watch of him. Looks like he could be an elite ,top 3 TE for a long time. Elite blocker as well, would just be a matchup nightmare

40 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

1. Ed Oliver

2. Jonah Williams 

3. TJ Hockenson 

Would be be very happy with any of the three. All are instant starters, process guys who will be a huge upgrade at their position. 

I would agree, but I don’t see Oliver as a “process guy” at all. In fact, I think he’s kind of the opposite. However, McD recognizes his talent and apparently would like to have him. I would say Risner and Wilkins are more process than Oliver. 

36 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

This is probably my exact , realistic list. I do think if Beane and Co fell in love with a likely top 5 pick, I don't see him hesitating If the price is right.

Also TJ is also becoming more and more intriguing the more I watch of him. Looks like he could be an elite ,top 3 TE for a long time. Elite blocker as well, would just be a matchup nightmare

Bingo. Holy heck I want Hockenson to be a Bill in the worst way.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

1. Ed Oliver

2. Jonah Williams 

3. TJ Hockenson 

This could be the selections when the Bills pick without moving up.  I would swap 2 and 3 but this is splitting hairs.  The main reason is that will equal grades, TJ will make a larger impact.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I guess I was wrong, I thought Jawaan Taylor was the OL to get in this draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/21/jonah-williams-takes-preparation-to-the-next-level/

That depends , if you want a Tackle or a Guard , 

I would still take  J Taylor and I’m pretty sure he’s of the board before our pick at 9 

Wouldn’t surprise if Williams falls to middle of the first round 

Question with Jonah Williams is has he already maxed out?  He already has top level technique and top notch preparation.  Is he already a good NFL OL and, if not, can he improve his strength and overcome his lass-than-ideal size and arm length to be a good NFL OL?

I do think that his floor is high - at least a competent starting OG, but I’m not sure that he can be a top 1/3rd of the league OT given his size and strength.  Does anyone think that Alabama does not have a top level strength and conditioning program and incredible facilities?

I could understand why a team would consider him early, but he isn’t a favorite of mine.  Is he John Fina reincarnated?  Fina was a good, not great, LT for a long time.  They could do worse than that at 9, but I suspect that they could do better as well.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I'm just gonna say this and it's okay if I'm totally in the minority:

I'm fine with the Bills taking Williams at 9. 

A decade+, high quality starting offensive lineman that will set the tone along the o-line with his work ethic and study habits.

We could do a lot worse.

A decade...only if he re-signs 

So I'll probably get killed for this, but I don't think playing left tackle is so much about analytics. Yes you should study your opponents and their moves but this seems a bit much for me. If I'm coaching offensive linemen I want guys who can initiate with strength and react with agility. I never want guys anticipating a move, because when you cheat, and you are wrong, you've lost. Playing left tackle is about quick reaction, great feet, long arms, and a strong, quick punch. If you can do that at a high level you can be a great left tackle and be dumb as a doorknob. Centers need to be the thinkers. Left tackles needs to react, be dancing bears as Mike Mayock used to say. So I think it's  cool that Jonah works as hard as he does and studies the way that he does. But his arms are still short and he does struggle with speed rushers. Perhaps studying gives him the edge he needs because he lacks length and things, but I think it's overkill, and I don't think it will help much in the NFL. A guy like Jerry Hughes would embarrass him no matter how much he studies. Just my 2 cents. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So I'll probably get killed for this, but I don't think playing left tackle is so much about analytics. Yes you should study your opponents and their moves but this seems a bit much for me. If I'm coaching offensive linemen I want guys who can initiate with strength and react with agility. I never want guys anticipating a move, because when you cheat, and you are wrong, you've lost. Playing left tackle is about quick reaction, great feet, long arms, and a strong, quick punch. If you can do that at a high level you can be a great left tackle and be dumb as a doorknob. Centers need to be the thinkers. Left tackles needs to react, be dancing bears as Mike Mayock used to say. So I think it's  cool that Jonah works as hard as he does and studies the way that he does. But his arms are still short and he does struggle with speed rushers. Perhaps studying gives him the edge he needs because he lacks length and things, but I think it's overkill, and I don't think it will help much in the NFL. A guy like Jerry Hughes would embarrass him no matter how much he studies. Just my 2 cents. 

My concern is if there's room for growth if he's already studying tape in an NFL manner. If he's maxed out both mentally and physically it's possible that his floor is extremely high, but he'll just be an above average starter from day 1 till retirement.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/21/jonah-williams-takes-preparation-to-the-next-level/

This doesn't surprise me one bit. Anyone who listens to this kid in an interview will hear that he is a very smart kid.

17 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

excerpt:

Williams devised his own methods of tracking tape study, watching the defensive linemen he’s preparing to line up against, categorizing each move they make, and entering all the data into a spread sheet to hep analyze what he can expect to see on game day.

Former Browns left tackle Joe Thomas took a look at the way Williams prepares and told ESPN it’s “genius,” and that Williams is far ahead of most young linemen mentally.

“It just shows you his level of preparation,” Thomas said. “It says a lot about the success he will have at the next level, because that is the type of preparation you need to have to be able to gain an advantage over your opponent. I wasn’t that advanced when I was in college.”

Dare I say sound like a "process guy" to me.

Absolutely!  His coach invented this term when our coach was in college, or perhaps high school. Seriously.

17 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

People complain about his athleticism but watching the tape shows he is an exceptional pass blocker and aggressive run blocker. A couple years in the Bills strength program he would be elite.

I hope so BB but the strength program he comes from might be second to none. I still think that the possibility of him playing guard, at least initially, is real.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

This doesn't surprise me one bit. Anyone who listens to this kid iyn an interview will hear that he is a very smart kid.

Absolutely!  His coach invented this term when our coach was in college, or perhaps high school. Seriously.

I hope so BB but the strength program he comes from might be second to none. I still think that the possibility of him playing guard, at least initially, is real.

At his age he has plenty of room for size and strength. That said we have one of the best S&C development systems in the league, so whatever the Bills think he needs to improve he will get.

• Like (+1) 1

Good job by his agent.  Trust me, I’m not questioning his work ethic but there’s a reason this got out.

19 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Question with Jonah Williams is has he already maxed out?  He already has top level technique and top notch preparation.  Is he already a good NFL OL and, if not, can he improve his strength and overcome his lass-than-ideal size and arm length to be a good NFL OL?

I do think that his floor is high - at least a competent starting OG, but I’m not sure that he can be a top 1/3rd of the league OT given his size and strength.  Does anyone think that Alabama does not have a top level strength and conditioning program and incredible facilities?

I could understand why a team would consider him early, but he isn’t a favorite of mine.  Is he John Fina reincarnated?  Fina was a good, not great, LT for a long time.  They could do worse than that at 9, but I suspect that they could do better as well.

Good post and it’s a good question.  Do want solid or superstar but bust potential?  I think at worst Williams becomes a solid to good G.  Alabama o linemen are so hard to predict because they play next to 5 star recruits every where.

Before free agency, Jonah Williams was at the top of my board(assuming Q Williams, Josh Allen, Bosa, and Devin White were gone). I’ve been quoted here and on Twitter as saying the Bills should run to the podium if Jonah is available.

Now after free agency, while I’d still be extremely happy with Jonah, I think DL has a glaring hole and I would like the Bills to do what it takes to get Q. Williams or Ed Oliver, or if they take Jonah Williams, trade back up for Christian Wilkins.

I can’t wait until Thursday to see how this plays out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

At his age he has plenty of room for size and strength. That said we have one of the best S&C development systems in the league, so whatever the Bills think he needs to improve he will get.

You don’t think Bama isn’t top of the line for this?

23 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I knew nothing of this when months ago I started calling for the Bills to take Jonah Williams, but I feel even more strongly about him after reading this.

He’s ready to start at LT.  Move Dawson inside.

JMO

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You don’t think Bama isn’t top of the line for this?

not over us, besides like i said hes young and its easy to get stronger. Most guys in Worlds Strongest Man are in their mid 20-40s so this is the one area that can keep gaining throughput ones career.

8 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

There is only one black mark against Jonah Williams. Clelin Ferrell appeared to schooled him in the national championship game.

And Williams schooled him the year before. The whole line had a rough night so if everyone is struggling then its hard for one guy to stand out. It was basically one first rounder and a bunch of guys versus 4 first rounders.