Bills History of Past Drafts from early 2000

If you have ever wondered (which we know why now for many obvious reasons) why our Bills had such a long drought of no playoffs look no further than our draft results during that span.  The link below shows only through the 2010 draft but sums up the early 2000 decade.  Some of those drafts which looking back you clearly see how bad we drafted and had no chance to compete when choosing players that didn't contribute.  Some really sad drafts especially 2010.  It's got to be hard to draft so poorly (absolutely pathetic)! 

My confidence now is really starting to grow with McD and Beane.  Here's to them hopefully having a great draft!  I'm trusting The Process!!  Go Bills!!

https://syndication-bleacherreport-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/659451-nfl-draft-history-grading-the-past-10-buffalo-bills-drafts.amp.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

Keep it positive for the future!!

• Like (+1) 1

I'd temper the enthusiasm over the current regime if I were you until we see some real results, ie more drafts and the maturation of the players from 2017 and 2018.  A year or two out from any draft, many high picks looed much better than they turned out to be.  In the case of the Bills drafts in the article, prior to the 2004 season, Mike Williams was still a promising LT, and prior to the 2009 season, the 2007 draft looked like a great draft with Marshawn Lynch, Paul Posluszny, and Trent Edwards in the first three rounds.

So far, Beane has been here for 1 draft.  McDermott has been here for 2.  The rookies from last year, most noticeably Allen and Edmunds, look promising but you can't say more than that at present.  The 2017 draft  produced one actually good NFL player -- Tre White.  Last season LB Matt Milano emerged as a solid defender but LT Dion Dawkins, who looked promising as a rookie, took a big step backward.  After a horrific rookie season, Zay Jones improved but he's unlikely to be a regular starter this season.   All of these players could yet go on to become better but they might also never get any better or even get worse.  

• Like (+1) 1

Wow .. way to dig into the archives and allow me to relive draft misery (sans 2007 draft) and the Kyle Williams pick.   That said, I'm all in on "the process kool-aid" .. I trust this regime much more than prior regimes in evaluating talent and making smart choices ... Zay Jones jokes aside ... at the time given record breaking college production and NFL parent pedigree .. you can understand the pick .. UDFA talent additions (Foster & Wallace)  .. round 5 picks (Milano and Teller).  Can't wait for what they do this coming week/weekend.

Go McBeane!!!

There is no way you can form a 10 year plan while dumping head coaches every 2 years.

Every coach hired dumped highly drafted players, brought in their style running back then switched back and forth from a 34 to a 43

Its was madding to watch. We even lost valuable wide screen TVs and pool tables

Stability is the key. The Best NFL teams make very few changes.

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

If you have ever wondered (which we know why now for many obvious reasons) why our Bills had such a long drought of no playoffs look no further than our draft results during that span.  The link below shows only through the 2010 draft but sums up the early 2000 decade.  Some of those drafts which looking back you clearly see how bad we drafted and had no chance to compete when choosing players that didn't contribute.  Some really sad drafts especially 2010.  It's got to be hard to draft so poorly (absolutely pathetic)! 

My confidence now is really starting to grow with McD and Beane.  Here's to them hopefully having a great draft!  I'm trusting The Process!!  Go Bills!!

https://syndication-bleacherreport-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/659451-nfl-draft-history-grading-the-past-10-buffalo-bills-drafts.amp.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

Keep it positive for the future!!

It's mostly a cavalcade of mediocrity with 2001 and 2007 (and 2009 after the obvious first pick swing-and-huge-miss) as decent drafts. I'll be honest, I don't see the 2010 draft as "pathetic" as you do. C.J. Spiller never fulfilled pick 9, but he was an expected top 10 pick and did have at least one star season at a skill position. Torell Troup was an absolute head scratcher even at the time, though. Carrington had his moments (mostly blocking kicks), but was definitely not worth a 3rd. Marcus Easley would have been a good value if he didn't have the worst luck staying healthy. Ed Wang was a bad pick at the time and proved to be. Arthur Moats had his moments and at least played as well as you expect a 6th round pick to play. The rest did nothing, but most late day 3 picks don't do much. I do agree that they have been a below average drafting team, and that the last two drafts have been very hopeful. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Its was madding to watch. We even lost value wide screen TVs and pool tables

Those were probably used as ‘lovely parting gifts’ / ‘hush money’ to disaffected distaff staffers.  (And no, that isn’t a typo.)

1 minute ago, thurst44 said:

It's mostly a cavalcade of mediocrity...

Now there’s a nicely turned phrase!  ?

Honestly I'm tired of all the Zay Jones jokes and negativity. I believe in the 3 year rule for the WR position. Some guys catch on quicker that but it's common for a guy to really breakout in year 3. If you compare Zay to a certain former Bills great he's on track for an impressive 3rd year as a pro.

image.thumb.png.8c0e0290bd246890219f9794c3d89d9f.png

Edited by ProcessAccepted
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Looking at drafts from 2001-2010 is futile on the eve of the 2019 draft.

It's about Beane and McDermott and their staffs now.

I say,  Let the dead bury the dead.

teams develop an image over they years

fans LOVE to say that a franchise is a total loser, sitting ducks for the po-lice man...

bills got that stink about them

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

teams develop an image over they years

fans LOVE to say that a franchise is a total loser, sitting ducks for the po-lice man...

bills got that stink about them

That stink was bone deep during the Rex years.

That's why the new OBD has changed everything,  including almost all the players,  to go forward.

Forward.  It may not succeed but I can see what they are trying to do.

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

That stink was bone deep during the Rex years.

That's why the new OBD has changed everything,  including almost all the players,  to go forward.

Forward.  It may not succeed but I can see what they are trying to do.

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

i'm on board and will stay the course, just keep Josh healthy....

i won't jump out and tell Pats and Steelers and Cowboys fans the Bills are going to totally kick ass and easily win 10 games until they actually do...

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

2010 draft says incomplete, but its an F-

It was listed as incomplete since the report was from 2010 so they didn't know how those players would turn out.  Your F- is absolutely spot on as it's one of the worst drafts in Bills history!

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

It was listed as incomplete since the report was from 2010 so they didn't know how those players would turn out.  Your F- is absolutely spot on as it's one of the worst drafts in Bills history!

i want to be able to get to sleep tonight, i better not refresh my memory on a horror show like that

• Haha (+1) 1