New Turf at New Era Field - Question? ** ANSWER!!

PUNT750

23 hours ago, Doc said:

People pay money for all sorts of things that others think are useless.  And when I get it I'll let you know if  the underside is stamped with the Bills logo or comes with a certificate of authenticity or something or that nature.

I would be shocked.  You're buying it from a guy who bought the turf and is just cutting it up and reselling.

Essentially you are just buying a used piece of turf.  The guy could have bought a different set of turf and is cutting that up too and selling it.

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

I would be shocked.  You're buying it from a guy who bought the turf and is just cutting it up and reselling.

Essentially you are just buying a used piece of turf.  The guy could have bought a different set of turf and is cutting that up too and selling it.

I bought it from “The Buffalo Turf Company.”  I suppose they might be giving me turf from somewhere else but I seriously doubt it. 

On 6/28/2019 at 10:29 AM, Logic said:

As has been stated before: The red paint fades too fast into a pinkish color. For that reason, and also because blue is clearly the primary color with which the Bills want to identify, I don't see the red end zones coming back any time soon.

With any luck, the NFL will change the dumb "only one color helmet allowed" rule, and we'll get 90s throwbacks some day. End zones, though? It ain't happenin'.

I heard the red also doesn't show up well in HD for the game broadcasts.

On 7/1/2019 at 6:24 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...is this really the 3rd field surface in 11 years?.........

Technically yes, but according to the manufacturers, the turf is only supposed to last between 8-11 years I believe. You have to figure these fields take a lot of wear and tear, and with the harsher weather conditions here they would wear a little quicker and need to be replaced sooner. You don't install carpeting in your house (if you actually have carpets) and expect it to last a lifetime, it needs to be replaced after a while.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

I bought it from “The Buffalo Turf Company.”  I suppose they might be giving me turf from somewhere else but I seriously doubt it. 

I just read an article about this, that may have been the guys company name, but he has had some failed businesses before and this is his current venture. He bought the field cheap at auction from the county and had to have the rolls removed quickly to a warehouse he rented, then had a couple guys working with him to cut it up and sell, mostly in small patches but some custom sizes were also done for people. Said he will auction a few off for charity, there some people mad because the county was going to donate the money from the auction to a charity to help kids with disabilities to play sports and they said the county didnt properly advertise the auction so few actually knew about it and that's why he got it so cheap. It just went up on their public auction website that sells government surplus. I thought I read he spent more on trucking and the warehouse then the actual field itself. He also wants to continue to do this buy buying other sports teams fields, some of his previous businesses were selling seats and other parts of old stadiums and arenas that were being torn down (they mentioned the Aud).

17 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I heard the red also doesn't show up well in HD for the game broadcasts.

Technically yes, but according to the manufacturers, the turf is only supposed to last between 8-11 years I believe. You have to figure these fields take a lot of wear and tear, and with the harsher weather conditions here they would wear a little quicker and need to be replaced sooner. You don't install carpeting in your house (if you actually have carpets) and expect it to last a lifetime, it needs to be replaced after a while.

...looks like Bflo uses A-Turf Titan product from a home grown Williamsville, NY company.......not many positive comments about it.....21 teams use Field Turf's "Easy Turf" product from California...so are we getting a high quality surface or did Erie Count nepotism/"hometown discount" win out?.................

20 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Hope we got it for free, should have a 12 year warranty:

https://www.aturf.com/turf-titan-first-proven-12-year-turf-warranty/

...LOL....the 'ol "peace of mind warranty".......fine print prolly reads "12 years or 1,200 yards rushing, whichever comes first".......so we still could be okay, right??......

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LOL....the 'ol "peace of mind warranty".......fine print prolly reads "12 years or 1,200 yards rushing, whichever comes first".......so we still could be okay, right??......

you would think they would want to keep their only NFL client happy 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/4/2019 at 8:23 AM, Doc said:

People pay money for all sorts of things that others think are useless.  And when I get it I'll let you know if  the underside is stamped with the Bills logo or comes with a certificate of authenticity or something or that nature.

It came with a certificate.  And was surprisingly light and without the infill.  As for the "grass," it felt like fake pine needles.

13 hours ago, Doc said:

It came with a certificate.  And was surprisingly light and without the infill.  As for the "grass," it felt like fake pine needles.

So you got a piece of paper and a square piece of "grass"?

That's cool, I guess.

17 hours ago, Doc said:

They are apparently donating the infill sand and rubber to schools and playgrounds.

I believe it's the same stuff or similar to what's in the Rogers Centre in Toronto. I remember when they first installed it players having issues because the infill rubber pellets would fly up into the air when balls hit the turf and could get in your eye. They said it would take some time to break the field in and have that stop.

Edited by apuszczalowski

17 hours ago, Doc said:

Cool. 

4 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

So you got a piece of paper and a square piece of "grass"?

That's cool, I guess.

Not cool.

I apologize if this has been discussed already.

Our old turf seemed to be very slippery.  Watching games, players were always falling down, even on hot September days.  I don't have any specific sources, but I recall players from both the Bills and other teams making passing comments about this.

Does anyone know if the new turf will be made of different material and hopefully reduce all the falling?