New Turf at New Era Field - Question? ** ANSWER!!

PUNT750

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...sorry bud, I screwed up...pics are from 2011...new turf is slated for install during May 2019.........

Regardless lol, i was looking at the banner at the top of the page w/the 60th logo. THAT is what caught my attn - so thanks!

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Because Ralph was cheap. 

I think they've always gone for a very tough, low cost, hard surface turf that would last for years in our harsh weather.  I can't believe they actually factored in player acceptance.  The turf installed in 2011 was new to the NFL market from a local manufacturer maybe looking for his 1st major customer?  Cheap?  I don't know.  Erie County is actually buying the turf this year under a $3 mil budget which includes paint and minor concrete repair work. 

4 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

I think they've always gone for a very tough, low cost, hard surface turf that would last for years in our harsh weather.  I can't believe they actually factored in player acceptance.  The turf installed in 2011 was new to the NFL market from a local manufacturer maybe looking for his 1st major customer?  Cheap?  I don't know.  Erie County is actually buying the turf this year under a $3 mil budget which includes paint and minor concrete repair work. 

Gov't paying means lowest bidder wins. Anyone that has spent time in the military or Gov't work knows how that goes.

On 4/20/2019 at 9:38 PM, PUNT750 said:

Does anyone know what brand of turf is going down on the field?  

** I just found out the answer to my own question.   

Shouldn't you just delete the thread, since you found the answer to the question that was behind creating the thread in the first place?

53 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Shouldn't you just delete the thread, since you found the answer to the question that was behind creating the thread in the first place?

Nope - I think he should start a new thread complaining about his answer.  

LOL - look exactly what was done - ??

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/20/2019 at 7:47 PM, Misterbluesky said:

The turf is being replaced because the concrete foundation has severe cracks and holes in it.Too late to put a new drainage system in $$$,this must be the third field they have put in within the past decade?

FYI: Artificial turf doesn’t depend on the concrete underlayment for its drainage. Almost all of these products have an impermeable layer beneath them. They don’t drain into the concrete or the ground at all for that matter.

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Now this is cool.  The Cap will now support pylon cameras!  That's an important addition for our upcoming home playoff games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

I wish they would use an in-fill other than rubber.  It smells and there is a concern that there is some nasty chemicals in that stuff. 

No doubt!!  The only reason I don’t attend home games is that ghastly rubber smell!!

• Haha (+1) 5

38 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

I wish they would use an in-fill other than rubber.  It smells and there is a concern that there is some nasty chemicals in that stuff. 

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No doubt!!  The only reason I don’t attend home games is that ghastly rubber smell!!

I vote they use the Styrofoam beads inside of bean bag chairs. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

Now this is cool.  The Cap will now support pylon cameras!  That's an important addition for our upcoming home playoff games.

Cool indeed. Get to see lots more of this from now on:

TDTCHx9.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/20/2019 at 9:38 PM, PUNT750 said:

Does anyone know what brand of turf is going down on the field?  

** I just found out the answer to my own question.   From the A-Turf website:

A-Turf Plays 2 Roles In Buffalo Bills Extreme Makeover

Posted April 18, 2019

"A-Turf will be completing the turf playing surface replacement at New Era Field just in time for the NFL season. In the meantime, Terry & Kim Pegula (team owners) and Bills players are celebrating the opening of a brand-new, world-class, 41,000 s.f. Sports Performance Center. It seamlessly links the club’s athletic training, strength and conditioning, and sports science departments. A-Turf installed a turf area for warm-up, post-workout, and flexibility work."

Our current turf, A-Turf Titan, was manufactured locally and it was rated #29 in the League by Sports Illustrated as to player acceptance.  Arizona was #1 with Tifway #419 Bermuda grass.  Many NFL stadiums use Bermuda grass but in Arizona the entire playing surface is retractable in a giant tray and is rolled and maintained outside the stadium. It's only used for NFL games.

A-Turf is NOT used in any other NFL stadiums but is the turf at UB Stadium, St. Bonaventure and Niagara Falls HS.  It is headquartered in Williamsville NY and the owner is a long-time Bills season ticket holder.  The A-Turf Titan features rubber pellet infills as part of the artificial surface.

Twelve (12) teams in the NFL will use artificial turf in 2019 with the Rams & Chargers coming on board in 2020. 

...rated #29?....so Erie County cheaps out with a lousy toupee'?.....so we're greasing their palm because of season tix for a remnant surface?......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy