New Turf at New Era Field - Question? ** ANSWER!!

PUNT750

Does anyone know what brand of turf is going down on the field?  

** I just found out the answer to my own question.   From the A-Turf website:

A-Turf Plays 2 Roles In Buffalo Bills Extreme Makeover

Posted April 18, 2019

"A-Turf will be completing the turf playing surface replacement at New Era Field just in time for the NFL season. In the meantime, Terry & Kim Pegula (team owners) and Bills players are celebrating the opening of a brand-new, world-class, 41,000 s.f. Sports Performance Center. It seamlessly links the club’s athletic training, strength and conditioning, and sports science departments. A-Turf installed a turf area for warm-up, post-workout, and flexibility work."

Our current turf, A-Turf Titan, was manufactured locally and it was rated #29 in the League by Sports Illustrated as to player acceptance.  Arizona was #1 with Tifway #419 Bermuda grass.  Many NFL stadiums use Bermuda grass but in Arizona the entire playing surface is retractable in a giant tray and is rolled and maintained outside the stadium. It's only used for NFL games.

A-Turf is NOT used in any other NFL stadiums but is the turf at UB Stadium, St. Bonaventure and Niagara Falls HS.  It is headquartered in Williamsville NY and the owner is a long-time Bills season ticket holder.  The A-Turf Titan features rubber pellet infills as part of the artificial surface.

Twelve (12) teams in the NFL will use artificial turf in 2019 with the Rams & Chargers coming on board in 2020. 

Edited by PUNT750
more info

I don’t care what the surface is although it’s widely known New England plays worse on grass than a turf surface of any kind. 

On a side note the problem I have with the Bills stadium isn’t the turf, it’s the proximity of the corner endzone to the wall that is the danger. 

7 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

I don’t care what the surface is although it’s widely known New England plays worse on grass than a turf surface of any kind. 

On a side note the problem I have with the Bills stadium isn’t the turf, it’s the proximity of the corner endzone to the wall that is the danger. 

I was in a rugby game in college when a guy went into a tight corner like that and fractured his skull. I was at midfield on the opposite side of the field, and you could hear his skull cracking. Multiple ambulances, lots of blood, the rugby day ended right then and there. I saw a lot of nasty stuff in rugby, but that was the worst. 

Edited by Augie
  • Sad 4

20 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Why is that a problem to you, are you on the field? From a fans perspective they always want to be closer

25 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

The turf is being replaced because the concrete foundation has severe cracks and holes in it.Too late to put a new drainage system in $$$,this must be the third field they have put in within the past decade?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

Gillette had grass - they replaced it the something called FieldTurf, supposedly the most technologically advanced stuff.

I used sit in row 3 on the 20 - there’s room in the corner of the end zone.

39 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

The turf is being replaced because the concrete foundation has severe cracks and holes in it.Too late to put a new drainage system in $$$,this must be the third field they have put in within the past decade?

So you’re saying the place is in crumbled ruins ?

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

The current A-Turf was installed in 2011 - 8 years ago.  So, yes 3 different artificial turfs in 10 years!

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Third field in ten years? I don't think so. I believe there was drainage work done to the field last time a new turf was installed. 

7 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Our old turf, A-Turf Titan, was manufactured locally and it was rated #29 in the League by Sports Illustrated as to player acceptance.  Arizona was #1 with Tifway #419 Bermuda grass.  Many NFL stadiums use Bermuda grass but in Arizona the entire playing surface is retractable in a giant tray and is rolled and maintained outside the stadium. It's only used for NFL games.

Twelve (12) teams in the NFL will use artificial turf in 2019 with the Rams & Chargers coming on board in 2020.  The Raiders in Vegas will make 15 by 2021. 

...are they using FieldTurf?....seems to be the predominating brand...

installation is underway.....

https://www.buffalobills.com/photos/new-turf-installation-5158913#0a134c07-b689-48ef-8573-e56c2d153b81

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Our old turf, A-Turf Titan, was manufactured locally and it was rated #29 in the League by Sports Illustrated as to player acceptance.  Arizona was #1 with Tifway #419 Bermuda grass.  Many NFL stadiums use Bermuda grass but in Arizona the entire playing surface is retractable in a giant tray and is rolled and maintained outside the stadium. It's only used for NFL games.

Twelve (12) teams in the NFL will use artificial turf in 2019 with the Rams & Chargers coming on board in 2020.  The Raiders in Vegas will make 15 by 2021. 

Vegas will have the same set up as Arizona with the retractable field. No artificial turf here. 

7 minutes ago, Estro said:

I believe those are old.pictures from 8 years ago when they did the last installation

...my apology...think you're right based on this.......

"The field is expected to be installed in May. A spokesman for Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz said bids are out for the project. "

12 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...are they using FieldTurf?....seems to be the predominating brand...

installation is underway.....

https://www.buffalobills.com/photos/new-turf-installation-5158913#0a134c07-b689-48ef-8573-e56c2d153b81

Thanks for the link. Field looks cool

My biggest takeaway from it however was i noticed at the top of the page that there was a new logo for the 60th anniversary.  Man the 50th year w TO doesnt seem like 10 yrs ago, but it makes me wonder if theyll sport that as a patch on the shoulder this year as well!

6 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Thanks for the link. Field looks cool

My biggest takeaway from it however was i noticed at the top of the page that there was a new logo for the 60th anniversary.  Man the 50th year w TO doesnt seem like 10 yrs ago, but it makes me wonder if theyll sport that as a patch on the shoulder this year as well!

...sorry bud, I screwed up...pics are from 2011...new turf is slated for install during May 2019.........