Popovich, Food and Wine ... and McDermott

Shaw66

If you're interested, take a look at this long piece on ESPN.com about Greg Popovich's job, basketball, and his passion, food and wine. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26524600/secret-team-dinners-built-spurs-dynasty

Turns out Pop is a great connoisseur, and he regularly organizes really high end dinners at the best restaurants around the league. Three to four hour dinners, 8 or 10 courses, all kinds of wine.  The meals are legendary.   Pop arranges all the details; what food is served, what wine, where the tables are set up, who sits where.  

And here's what's interesting.   He does it as a team building activity.   All his players say they've never been on a team that did this, and it was a lot to do with their success.  Ray Allen drops a miracle three on the Spurs in game 6 of the NBA finals, the team is crushed, and Pop's reaction was "we're all going out to dinner.  Tonight."  And off they went.  

Pop believes that building relationships over meals is important.   And it's part of what makes his players love him.

I think McDermott wants his team to have really strong relationships.   Can't do it the same way with a football team - just too many guys to take them all to an intimate dinner at some super restaurant in Seattle, but that's the kind of environment he's trying to build.   

• Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

If you're interested, take a look at this long piece on ESPN.com about Greg Popovich's job, basketball, and his passion, food and wine. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26524600/secret-team-dinners-built-spurs-dynasty

Turns out Pop is a great connoisseur, and he regularly organizes really high end dinners at the best restaurants around the league. Three to four hour dinners, 8 or 10 courses, all kinds of wine.  The meals are legendary.   Pop arranges all the details; what food is served, what wine, where the tables are set up, who sits where.  

And here's what's interesting.   He does it as a team building activity.   All his players say they've never been on a team that did this, and it was a lot to do with their success.  Ray Allen drops a miracle three on the Spurs in game 6 of the NBA finals, the team is crushed, and Pop's reaction was "we're all going out to dinner.  Tonight."  And off they went.  

Pop believes that building relationships over meals is important.   And it's part of what makes his players love him.

I think McDermott wants his team to have really strong relationships.   Can't do it the same way with a football team - just too many guys to take them all to an intimate dinner at some super restaurant in Seattle, but that's the kind of environment he's trying to build.   

I think in one of the Bills embedded last year he talks about a team dinner and putting phones in a basket or something so they're paying attention to each other.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I read this article on Pop yesterday and absolutely loved it. Food and wine can link people from any background. It brings people closer. Just so interesting to see how the Spurs have managed to keep that family mentality in good times and in bad.

There was a story about when Tim Duncan was becoming a free agent, at the top of his game.   He hadn't decided whether he was going to stay in San Antonio or try his luck someplace else, a move that probably would get him more money than San Antonio was going to give him.

Pop called him and said "let's go out to dinner."   Three hour meal, and they did not talk about basketball once.    No once.   The next morning, Duncan called his agent and told him to negotiate the best deal he could get in San Antonio, because he wasn't leaving.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Shaw66 said:

There was a story about when Tim Duncan was becoming a free agent, at the top of his game.   He hadn't decided whether he was going to stay in San Antonio or try his luck someplace else, a move that probably would get him more money than San Antonio was going to give him.

Pop called him and said "let's go out to dinner."   Three hour meal, and they did not talk about basketball once.    No once.   The next morning, Duncan called his agent and told him to negotiate the best deal he could get in San Antonio, because he wasn't leaving.  

So good!!

44 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Pop understands human beings, not just players.  McD has the same gene.  That's why I am brimming with optimism about the Bills.

• Like (+1) 3

Great read.  Thanks for posting.  Despite the fact they reached out to Popovich for input, the best part about this to me is he declined and it's all from the perspective of those who've experienced it.  He seems to have a unique insight into human connection... almost like Parts Unknown or No Reservations meets the NBA.

• Like (+1) 1

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports/bills-mcdermott-excited-about-draft-possibilities/article_695d2fc6-e11c-514e-bd6f-16728f59e012.html

"There’s a lot of teams, over the years, that have put talent in the locker room, but haven’t been able to develop that talent or bring them together. No. 1, the challenge is on our players to get together and for us to get to know them, and then also for us to do different things to try and build that team, that bond, that chemistry that so embodies good teams.” -McDermott

We have a coach who gets it. I havent felt so confident about the future of our team in a loooong time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McD says things that are uncomfortable to a lot of men. He talks about the players on the team loving each other and he means it. If we ever get the right combination of talent on this team they’ll be unstoppable. 

• 1 month later...

My boss had passed this to me a while back and I FINALLY just read it - what a fantastic article!  Pop is the freaking man, how do I join the Spurs staff?

I might have to link to this every time someone on TBD goes off on how culture and chemistry mean nothing in pro sports.  Pop would disagree, as would plenty of current and ex-Spurs I'm guessing.  Pro sports are as much of a mental game, as physical and bringing people close, forming those bonds, can only make a squad better...

Too bad my boss read this and knows that Pop pays for all the meals (and YUGE tips), I was going to ask for a "team building expense account", for a few $20k wine dinners with my team! :D :beer:

Edited by Heitz

On 4/20/2019 at 6:36 PM, Shaw66 said:

supposedly that dinner happened here in Orlando when orlando had the inside track. the GM did not want Duncan to leave town without a deal and Pop came here. i have heard the dinner was at about 10 different restaurants so I am less certain it is true.

Pop is an amazing coach. One of if not the best coaches in NBA history. I hate his politics side of stuff (hate all politics no need to think I hate it cause he represents a certain side) but he’s an amazing coach. And seems to be a super cool guy. I have a lot of respect for what he’s done in the league with the talent on his teams. Definition of team sports there in San Antonio