Easter Meal

BUFFALOKIE

I love food threads on OTW, so I am wondering what yall have planned for your Easter.

We are going to Moms house and my Step Dad is smoking ribs and bologna. I am wondering what to bring as a side...something holiday specific that goes well with the main entree. Any suggestions?

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Never thought about smoked bologna sounds good. 

It is kind of an Okie thing, I think. All BBQ restaurants here serve it, and it is delectable.

We are smoking a 5lb block along with the ribs.

20 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I love food threads on OTW, so I am wondering what yall have planned for your Easter.

We are going to Moms house and my Step Dad is smoking ribs and bologna. I am wondering what to bring as a side...something holiday specific that goes well with the main entree. Any suggestions?

A box of cigars??

21 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Good rye bread from the bakery.  

• Like (+1) 2

Ham. It always starts with a ham at our house. 

We are hosting 12-14 tomorrow and always enjoy getting together. Besides the ham there will be shrimp salad, and big and small croissants to go with both. Shrimp salad was a spring time fixture when we were young in Hilton Head. It will be the last round of the Heritage golf tournament from Hilton Head tomorrow, so it seemed fitting.

We have a lovely vegetarian attending (son’s GF) so we have some sides to make and a boatload of stuff we just picked up at Whole Foods. I rarely take a short cut like that, but I never stop my wife from doing it!  ?

Ham and Polish sausage. I am not cooking, my SIL is, and that was all I was told.  I think they went down to the Broadway market today (nuts!) so whatever they see and buy will be added to whatever they are cooking. 

I am bringing three desserts including panna cotta (Hubby is making it) and carrot cake (baked and awaiting frosting tomorrow).  

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Ham and Polish sausage. I am not cooking, my SIL is, and that was all I was told.  I think they went down to the Broadway market today (nuts!) so whatever they see and buy will be added to whatever they are cooking. 

I am bringing three desserts including panna cotta (Hubby is making it) and carrot cake (baked and awaiting frosting tomorrow).  

Among this mornings errands was going to a special bakery to pick up a carrot cake. We have gluten and dairy issues attending, plus one guy with a deadly egg allergy. For only the low, low price of $60, you can get a carrot cake that eliminates all those concerns, and actually tastes great! 

Popsicles might have worked too.......

?

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

Among this mornings errands was going to a special bakery to pick up a carrot cake. We have gluten and dairy issues attending, plus one guy with a deadly egg allergy. For only the low, low price of $60, you can get a carrot cake that eliminates all those concerns, and actually tastes great! 

Popsicles might have worked too.......

Hmmm I could probably have overnighted to you for less...

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Should we FedEx you a ‘butter lamb’ to go with that?

People outside of Buffalo (Catholics even) don't know anything about Butter Lamb's...I've asked several over the years.

Ok here's a question....how many people here took food to get blessed the day before Easter?  That was a big tradition when I was growing up.

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Ham. It always starts with a ham at our house. 

We are hosting 12-14 tomorrow and always enjoy getting together. Besides the ham there will be shrimp salad, and big and small croissants to go with both. Shrimp salad was a spring time fixture when we were young in Hilton Head. It will be the last round of the Heritage golf tournament from Hilton Head tomorrow, so it seemed fitting.

We have a lovely vegetarian attending (son’s GF) so we have some sides to make and a boatload of stuff we just picked up at Whole Foods. I rarely take a short cut like that, but I never stop my wife from doing it!  ?

Little OT...but i keep hearing these "impossible Burgers" are the real deal for vegans. Nutrition wise no a who;e lot better for ya than a beef patty, but just thought I would mention.

Think Whole Foods carries them

https://impossiblefoods.com/food/

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

People outside of Buffalo (Catholics even) don't know anything about Butter Lamb's...I've asked several over the years.

Ok here's a question....how many people here took food to get blessed the day before Easter?  That was a big tradition when I was growing up.

It’s called a baranek.  We usually got ours at Broadway Market, along with our Easter ham, kielbasa, horseradish, polish bread, herring, smoked fish, etc., but they are so popular here that you can get them at any supermarket...

http://www.buffalobutterlambs.com/

Back in the day, when my mom, my brother, jaja, aunts and uncles were alive and we had a big old house with a big old dining room, we used to go thru this elaborate ritual every Easter...

https://www.thespruceeats.com/easter-food-baskets-blessing-tradition-1136995

Wesolego Alleluja!!!

7F1AC601-CAE0-437E-AD5E-69DD67FBD4AE.jpeg

Edited by The Senator
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

Butter lambs are common in Upstate NY. We will have one.  My son briefly dated a girl who worked at the little Polish market, and she mass produced them as part of her seasonal family responsibilities. 

• Like (+1) 1