With the 9th pick the Bills take MLB Devin White

14 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Well,  I wonder if you think that "because Buffalo didn't play the base 4-3 last year that much (I haven't looked it up), they will HAVE TO DO THE SAME THIS NEXT YEAR".  With different players?  We add a couple of new great players, but have to cram them into a system that got us a bad record last year?   We got a difference of opinion here !

Heh?    I don't know what you mean.  Not being snarky, but fill me in one what you mean by this.

I'm fairly positive the trainwreck of an offense was way more to blame than the defense. Yeah, the defense had bad games too, but usually those coincided with the offense not doing anything either.

As far as one guy coming off the field last year (usually Lorenzo Alexander coming off, or sliding to DE and a DL coming off), if in this scenario we are set on playing in the base set all the time, which one of Edmunds, White or Milano is going to be covering the slot WR when there's not enough DB on the field to cover the opposing receivers if they go to a 4+ WR set or have an athletic TE that gets split out?

As far as changing to a 3-4 just to think outside the box, let's recall that McDermott and Frazier have extensive experience coaching the 4-3. Are we firing them both just to draft Devin White? Are we letting them just implement and learn how to coach it on the fly? Just nothing about it makes that much sense to me, that's all. 

Edited by JM57

What the hell, let’s just use all ten draft picks on defense.  We signed Brown and Beasley!!  Oh, and Frank Gore.  Our offensive troubles are over!

Edited by mannc

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

As much as I like White, I don't see this happening even if he somehow gets past Detroit.

I don't believe Beane/McDermott made that enormous investment into Edmunds only to shift him outside nor do I see them taking a MLB in the top ten and moving HIM outside.

Heh?   Cornelius Bennert was  a waste at OLB?   Do your really thinkg that an "enormous investment" in the following players would be a real STUPID waste?   https://fortonsports.wordpress.com/2015/01/27/top-10-outside-linebackers-of-all-time/  

4 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

I believe that White is superior to Milano. Milano sits. Thats it. The Bills would have to draft White first for this to happen. This is a business...not Pop Warner or Mayberry.

Funny how we are hearing NOTHING from the posters who say "BPA" regardless of what your needs might be.  Somehow having the best LB group in the NFL is lost on them. But they get their panties wet with the thought of having a surplus good player at position X, if he is the (whatever is) BPA.   Ask the Rosen QB fans how that all worked out!

23 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

The Bills already have two, three down backers. In a league where having more than two LBers on the field is getting more rare by the year, that would be an awful pick.

Just my opinion.

Do you want an solid starter or a chance at a gold jacket? Because you're going to get a potential gold jacket with Devin White. And when you're picking in the Top 10 that's the kind of players you need to get. At least in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

What I’ve seen of him, he’s sensational. Where would he fit? Who goes to 2nd string? 

Well I think we just play 3 LB more and also have some very high quality depth.  Maybe we can trade Milano  for a veteran 3-technique DT or a future draft pick.

41 minutes ago, mannc said:

What the hell, let’s just use all ten draft picks on defense.  We signed Brown and Beasley!!  Oh, and Frank Gore.  Our offensive troubles are over!

...well let not use our FA money on the offence either.    Let's draft college guys, who know everything about a spread, stretch offense blocking, but NADA about nfl blocking.   (sarcasm)

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

4 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Do you want an solid starter or a chance at a gold jacket? Because you're going to get a potential gold jacket with Devin White. And when you're picking in the Top 10 that's the kind of players you need to get. At least in my opinion.

If he has the potential you claim he will not be around at 9. Plain and simple.

6 minutes ago, Rampage said:

You GET IT !!!!  Get the STUDS and then good things happen. Get a lot of safe average players and you wind up 8-8, and maybe two games better in a good year.    IT IS THAT SIMPLE !!

30 minutes ago, mannc said:

Please have a discussion with the BPA club.

5 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

If he has the potential you claim he will not be around at 9. Plain and simple.

Yep, I agree that he will probably not be available to use we if stay at #9.    I posted,  previously in this thread, the following:

Maybe maybe not. If 2 QB's are taken in the top 8,,,,,and,,,,,Bosa, Q.Williams, & Josh Allen also go,,,,, then that is 5 guys gone.   If 3 of the 6: Gary, Oliver, Burns, Sweat, Taylor (OT)  go, then we got our shot.    I would be more worried about Detroit, who have poorer linebackers.

I would probably, SLIGHTLY take Oliver over White with our pick (55:45) if both were there (fat chance!!).  If Oliver is taken early, also White would be taken early.  Most likely this is going to happen.  But strange shiess happens.  Some fans and maybe organizations get starrey-eyed over EDGE RUSHERS and other saveours.  He could drop to us.  If that happens, run to the podium.

18 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Biscuit was a MLB at Alabama? Had no idea. 

No he was a OLB, get your stuff together.

5 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

No he was a OLB, get your stuff together.

So if he didn't have to transition to a new position in the NFL, what's the deal with the comparison to White? Bennett was 6'3 and built to play OLB. White is 6'0 FLAT and built to play in the middle.

If I were the GM, I would have no problem taking White and shifting Edmunds outside. My original statement which I stand by is that they will not make such a move. Edmunds is their MLB and that isn't going to change any time soon. 

15 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

So if he didn't have to transition to a new position in the NFL, what's the deal with the comparison to White? Bennett was 6'3 and built to play OLB. White is 6'0 FLAT and built to play in the middle.

If I were the GM, I would have no problem taking White and shifting Edmunds outside. My original statement which I stand by is that they will not make such a move. Edmunds is their MLB and that isn't going to change any time soon. 

Why would you not put Edmunds and White in the best positions for each one?  Do the stars fall out of the sky and the oceans rise and submerge all the dry land?

4 hours ago, mcdamit said:

Devin Bush might be a better fit.  he can play the big nickel and help out on a ton of match up issues.   If the Oliver to the Jets thing is true a trade up a few picks to get Q williams might be the play 

We can argue during the season if we drafted the "Wrong Devin" if they are both available at #9.

5 hours ago, JM57 said:

Say it with me everyone. It's 2019. We need to, as a fanbase, make sure everyone knows:

?

STOP USING WALTER FOOTBALL AS A SOURCE.

He is one of us, but with money sunk into a website. He is not good.

THANK YOU!!!

Do people not realize that Walter Cherepinsky is nothing more than a buffoon?

Walter Cherepinsky...

6CF7C7C1-62BD-4333-BBA2-AFC315F92BE3.png

Edited by The Senator
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Why would you not put Edmunds and White in the best positions for each one?  Do the stars fall out of the sky and the oceans rise and submerge all the dry land?

You'd have to ask Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott because the ENTIRE premise of my response if the belief that they have Edmunds pegged as their MLB. 

I think Devin White is going to be an outstanding middle linebacker in the NFL.  I also think that when McBeane traded up to pick Edmunds last year they knew exactly what they were doing and intended that Edmunds was going to be their long term answer at middle linebacker.  I don't think Edmunds did anthing or failed to do something that has dissuaded them of the convictions they had about Edmunds last year.  Given that there are some other areas of need and the possibility of some outstanding prospects at those positions, I just don't think the Bills are going to pick White.  If I'm wrong, they I will be surprised and amazed, but until then I will continue to have that opinion of the Bills' draft plans.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billspro said:

White and Edmunds could be the best LB duo in the league.

Very true...

But Edmunds and Milano is pretty damn good already, and the snaps after them at pure LB fall off dramatically...?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Maybe, but he tore his ACL prior to the combine and would not help this year.  We are thin at DT and need some contribution this year.   I would not take Simmons except in the 3rd round.    Even today, recovery from a ACL is not 100%.  Too much risk of a partial recovery in my minds.  https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/11/acl-injuries-sports-athletes-careers

We would be fine fielding the team we have today without the draft.