With the 9th pick the Bills take MLB Devin White

55 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The only thing that I’ll say to that is that if those were your LBs you’d play less nickel. White is an absolute monster he’s going to be a great pro.

I'm not as high on White as others, I think he projects more like a top end CJ Mosley than Roquon Smith which is the comparison I keep seeing. His tackling technique is highly suspect. I just don't see the fit in a modern NFL defense that already has 2 very talented LBs. If White is still there at 9 I would see what Pittsburgh is willing to give to trade up for him.

6 minutes ago, Dopey said:

You're right about White and Zo, but I was thinking Edmunds being used like Zo. Edmunds would have no issue with switching over. 

Fair enough. I'm of the opinion that Edmunds shouldn't be moved from his current spot, but if White WERE to be drafted, then what you say would definitely be the way to go.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not as high on White as others, I think he projects more like a top end CJ Mosley than Roquon Smith which is the comparison I keep seeing. His tackling technique is highly suspect. I just don't see the fit in a modern NFL defense that already has 2 very talented LBs. If White is still there at 9 I would see what Pittsburgh is willing to give to trade up for him.

I guess that I’m on the other end. I’ve seen a ton of him and the game that he played against Auburn in 2017 was arguably the best game that I’ve ever seen a defensive player play live. I have him well above Roquan and Edmunds in my projections. IMO, he will be the best ILB in the game in 3 years. His game has no holes on or off the field.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

And then what happens to the guy who DOESN'T win? He languishes on the bench. 

I believe that the Bills have to employ the best players that they can. If this in fact a rebuild, or rebuild on the fly, we do not have the traditional time of yesterday to wait on players to realize their potential. We need good players that are relentless and healthy. If White would be available, I would take my chances and plug him in. No amount of deduction or intellectual exercises or percentages are necessary. The man can play football...all I need to know.

3 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Good for 100+ tackles. 

I don’t know if mcd was there for lukes first year but he played outside while beason played inside.  So edmunds moving outside wouldn’t be unprecedented. Plus olbs get paid more.  Take dexter Lawrence in second.  Tight end in third. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, aristocrat said:

I don’t know if mcd was there for lukes first year but he played outside while beason played inside.  So edmunds moving outside wouldn’t be unprecedented. Plus olbs get paid more.  Take dexter Lawrence in second.  Tight end in third. 

I bet that Edmunds would adjust well. With his talent, and the fact that he is what? 20-21? The transition would be nearly seamless. I don't know about Lawrence. I like him, but am I hearing now that the Bills are more interested in a more active, less two gap DT to compliment Star? Lawrence is potentially a force with a mean streak...we need guys like him.

14 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I believe that the Bills have to employ the best players that they can. If this in fact a rebuild, or rebuild on the fly, we do not have the traditional time of yesterday to wait on players to realize their potential. We need good players that are relentless and healthy. If White would be available, I would take my chances and plug him in. No amount of deduction or intellectual exercises or percentages are necessary. The man can play football...all I need to know.

I don’t believe that answers the question. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t believe that answers the question. 

I believe that White is superior to Milano. Milano sits. Thats it. The Bills would have to draft White first for this to happen. This is a business...not Pop Warner or Mayberry.

I agree with the OP...if there is elite talent there, you take it and find a way to make it work...I believe there are ways of keeping Milano, Edmonds and white on the field at all times

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I believe that White is superior to Milano. Milano sits. Thats it. The Bills would have to draft White first for this to happen. This is a business...not Pop Warner or Mayberry.

Who said it was? I was just wanting to hear your answer. Do you move Edmunds outside? Milano (if healthy) is a pretty good player to take off the field. I realize we’d keep 3 LB’s on the field more, with less nickel, but still...

I don’t really have a position here, I’m just thrilled with the idea that somebody who is a terrrific player will be there at #9. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

We can try.  Maybe after we announce our pick at #9, we run another guy up to the podium with a false mustash and announce our 9-b pick.  Worth a try.

Is Minnesota drafting after us? I believe they slept on a pick once...

2 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Shocker?  Not really.    Beane has said and shown last year, that he wants to get impact players from the draft. Not nice and good starter but impact players.   The Bills can let the draft come to them this year and they are in the position, where moving up gets real expensive. Move up one spot and it cost 50 points but every step up from that costs 100 points.   In this scenerio, Oliver, the 3 technique DT is already taken and the Bills build a linebacker corp that is awesome.  No weak links, all fast and hard-hitting stars, good in pass coverage and something that will give opposing offensives fits.  Let's look at what they have now.

Starters:            Milano     Edmunds     L.Alexander                quite a good start.                                 L.Alexander is sort of a DE/LB type with 13 years on the clock.

Backups;   M.Alexander(5)- a sort of safety/LB      Deon Lacey(3)           Juilus Stanford(6)       corey Thompson(2)                  Really, have you heard of these fellows?

Edmunds plays SAM  , Milano plays WILL and White plays MIKE.   All three are 3 down players.  Edmunds and White are threats to rush the passer.  Yes, we often played with 2 LB last year on 3rd down.  With different players, the scheme can change.  Now what about White?  ( http://walterfootball.com/draft2019ILB.php)

OKAY.   we draft 1st round linebackers in two successive years and with Milano have the best LB group in the league.  What did so scouts say about Devin White?

Here is how one of the National scouts summarized White:  (same Walter football piece)

"

OKAY,  he is a difference maker and there will be no weak spots in the linebacker corp.  With our good defensive backs the defense should be outstanding.

Now, what about defensive tackle?     I would want Oliver but if he is gone, we will be down a tier in defensive tackles and there are a lot of high ceiling 3-technique guys with decent floors available later in the draft that we don't have to reach for.  For example:  (comments copied from walter football)

I see no reason why he couldn't move to the interior.

::

We could get a short term 1 year rental of a veteran while these DT develop or just go with the Phillips and some rookie DT's.    About defensive tackles, please look at     who try to but a value on "disruptive value"   a.k.a.  (sacks + tackles for loss) per game.  Oliver, Saunders, and Zack Allen look pretty good there.https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/4/10/18300761/finding-the-superior-athlete-impact-defensive-tackles-in-the-2019-nfl-draft

Say it with me everyone. It's 2019. We need to, as a fanbase, make sure everyone knows:

?

STOP USING WALTER FOOTBALL AS A SOURCE.

He is one of us, but with money sunk into a website. He is not good.

Onto the real meat of the post. Edmunds - White - Milano sounds great but how often were the Bills actually in their base 4-3 last year? Who comes off the field when they go to nickel or dime? 

Edited by JM57

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Who said it was? I was just wanting to hear your answer. Do you move Edmunds outside? Milano (if healthy) is a pretty good player to take off the field. I realize we’d keep 3 LB’s on the field more, with less nickel, but still...

I don’t really have a position here, I’m just thrilled with the idea that somebody who is a terrrific player will be there at #9. 

I just want to see an improved Bills defense. We all do, but we need the proper personal...we need to get after people.

As much as I like White, I don't see this happening even if he somehow gets past Detroit.

I don't believe Beane/McDermott made that enormous investment into Edmunds only to shift him outside nor do I see them taking a MLB in the top ten and moving HIM outside.