With the 9th pick the Bills take MLB Devin White

19 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Simmons.

Maybe, but he tore his ACL prior to the combine and would not help this year.  We are thin at DT and need some contribution this year.   I would not take Simmons except in the 3rd round.    Even today, recovery from a ACL is not 100%.  Too much risk of a partial recovery in my minds.  https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/11/acl-injuries-sports-athletes-careers

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The only thing that I’ll say to that is that if those were your LBs you’d play less nickel. White is an absolute monster he’s going to be a great pro.

I have no doubt. We need a LB like White. I still remember missing out on Patrick Willis and Von Miller.

• Like (+1) 1

White won't be there at 9 and if this were 1989, I'd be on board. But nowadays there are only 2 linebackers on the field most of the time. Zo, when he's in, often lines up on the line or with a hand in the dirt in lieu of a D-lineman. We already have 2 LBs who can stay on the field for 3 downs, there's no room for another in today's NFL or our current defense unless they were an elite edge rusher who would take snaps from the DEs. White, nor our current two 3-down backers have shown that they are great edge rushers so this has zero chance of happening, even if by some miracle White fell to 9. To me this makes as much sense as grabbing a Center or QB at 9.

Just now, Eddiegoofball said:

White won't be there at 9 and if this were 1989, I'd be on board. But nowadays there are only 2 linebackers on the field most of the time. Zo, when he's in, often lines up on the line or with a hand in the dirt in lieu of a D-lineman. We already have 2 LBs who can stay on the field for 3 downs, there's no room for another in today's NFL or our current defense unless they were an elite edge rusher who would take snaps from the DEs. White, nor our current two 3-down backers have shown that they are great edge rushers so this has zero chance of happening, even if by some miracle White fell to 9. To me this makes as much sense as grabbing a Center or QB at 9.

Yes, but he is no ordinary LB. White can get to the QB and stop the run.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

I agree and have been saying this for a while. I would love it. Unless Q. Williams drops to us, White should be the pick.

These are the type of players that we need. Play makers, disruptive...total chaos!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

My only issue with drafting White is nickel defenses are practically base defenses at this point. We're not going to have 3 LBs on the field often enough to take a LB high.

Edmunds is a lot more versatile then he is getting credit for. He can rush the passer and cover te's, rb's. If we're mimicking what Carolina did on defense, it was the lb's that were the stars and impact players. This would be perfect. Harrison and Star will be fine in the middle, plus we can find another dlineman later or via cuts/fa to handle the dirty work.

• Like (+1) 2

If White is there, I 100% want him.  As you stated, there are DT's who are available later who are good fits.  I'd add WIse from Kansas, who is my draft sleeper along.  Guy was very-productive for Kansas, likely he was double teamed often.  

You get White, take a WR/TE in 2, or trade back into 1st, then grab a DT from your list and a RB later.  

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Edmunds is a lot more versatile then he is getting credit for. He can rush the passer and cover te's, rb's. If we're mimicking what Carolina did on defense, it was the lb's that were the stars and impact players. This would be perfect. Harrison and Star will be fine in the middle, plus we can find another dlineman later or via cuts/fa to handle the dirty work.

Yes...Edmunds is very versatile. He is an excellent athlete and still very teachable. I had Carolina on my mind as well. Edmunds and White would be a force...probably play very well together.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

if the top DL (Bosa, Allen, Williams, Oliver) are off the board, White is a top 5 talent and great value.

Because he is good and there is not depth at that position, he will be gone by 9.

Yeah, seems to be the consensus. We never know though. 

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

How many 9th picks do we have? Seems like we're gonna end up with about 10 top prospects with one draft pick!

We can try.  Maybe after we announce our pick at #9, we run another guy up to the podium with a false mustash and announce our 9-b pick.  Worth a try.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

We can try.  Maybe after we announce our pick at #9, we run another guy up to the podium with a false mustash and announce our 9-b pick.  Worth a try.

Yes! Sean Mcdermott! 

13 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

if the top DL (Bosa, Allen, Williams, Oliver) are off the board, White is a top 5 talent and great value.

Because he is good and there is not depth at that position, he will be gone by 9.

Darn right he is "Value"

I believe all of this discussion to be moot, because I believe White will be off the board before the Bills pick.

If he IS still on the board, the Bills ought to trade down with a team that wants White. The Bills, with Edmunds and Milano, simply don't have room to give White the amount of snaps he deserves. And to those citing 'Zo's usage: White is not 'Zo. they have different body types, play different positions, and there is no evidence to be found in White's history to show that he's capable of playing a part-time edge-rushing role.

I'm not denying he's a great player and that the Bills should be in the business of acquiring great players. I'm just saying that finding snaps for a middle linebacker when you already HAVE a starting middle linebacker can be difficult, and the Bills probably shouldn't use such a premium pick on a player who will be on the bench so often.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I believe all of this discussion to be moot, because I believe White will be off the board before the Bills pick.

If he IS still on the board, the Bills ought to trade down with a team that wants White. The Bills, with Edmunds and Milano, simply don't have room to give White the amount of snaps he deserves. And to those citing 'Zo's usage: White is not 'Zo. they have different body types, play different positions, and there is no evidence to be found in White's history to show that he's capable of playing a part-time edge-rushing role.

I'm not denying he's a great player and that the Bills should be in the business of acquiring great players. I'm just saying that finding snaps for a middle linebacker when you already HAVE a starting middle linebacker can be difficult, and the Bills probably shouldn't use such a premium pick on a player who will be on the bench so often.

That is what training camp is for...may the best man win!

In my opinion spending significant draft capital on a linebacker is ill-advised. We have 2 great linebackers in Edmunds and Milano. Perhaps Edmunds still needs some refining but I believe greatness is right around the corner.

The concept of the Bills running a base 4-3 isn't really accurate despite it being thrown around by the media and posters on this board. In the current era our base defense is a 4-2. 

The base offense in the NFL is 3 WRs. And by base I mean the configuration that is on the field more than any other configuration.

If an offense puts 3 WRs on the field, the defense puts 3 corners on the field. Hence a base 4-2.

So it makes little sense to me to draft White which will mean one of Milano, Edmunds or White are riding the pine for portions of the game.

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

You're right about White and Zo, but I was thinking Edmunds being used like Zo. Edmunds would have no issue with switching over.