With the 9th pick the Bills take MLB Devin White

Shocker?  Not really.    Beane has said and shown last year, that he wants to get impact players from the draft. Not nice and good starter but impact players.   The Bills can let the draft come to them this year and they are in the position, where moving up gets real expensive. Move up one spot and it cost 50 points but every step up from that costs 100 points.   In this scenerio, Oliver, the 3 technique DT is already taken and the Bills build a linebacker corp that is awesome.  No weak links, all fast and hard-hitting stars, good in pass coverage and something that will give opposing offensives fits.  Let's look at what they have now.

Starters:            Milano     Edmunds     L.Alexander                quite a good start.                                 L.Alexander is sort of a DE/LB type with 13 years on the clock.

Backups;   M.Alexander(5)- a sort of safety/LB      Deon Lacey(3)           Juilus Stanford(6)       corey Thompson(2)                  Really, have you heard of these fellows?

Edmunds is 6-5 236 and was projected as primarily as a OLB.  Walter Football said:

Tremaine Edmunds*, OLB, Virginia Tech
Height: 6-5. Weight: 236. Arm: 34.5. 40 Time: 4.54.
Projected Round (2018): Top-16 Pick.

4/25/18: Edmunds totaled 109 tackles with 5.5 sacks, 14 tackles for a loss, two passes batted and three forced fumbles in 2017.
He is a fast and physical linebacker who can help defenses in a variety of ways. Edmunds has the speed and size to rush off the edge in passing situations, yet also can play as a physical run defender in the tackle box. In the NFL, he could develop into being able to play middle linebacker as well as the outside. Edmunds should be a good fit as a 3-4 outside and inside linebacker. He is a very versatile player who could be adapted to a variety of positions in the NFL.
9/1/17: When watching the Hokies last year, Edmunds was impossible to ignore as he was all over the field for them. He recorded 106 tackles with 18.5 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, three passes broken up, one forced fumble and one interception last season. Edmunds is a quick, instinctive linebacker with good length

Edmunds plays SAM  , Milano plays WILL and White plays MIKE.   All three are 3 down players.  Edmunds and White are threats to rush the passer.  Yes, we often played with 2 LB last year on 3rd down.  With different players, the scheme can change.  Now what about White?  ( http://walterfootball.com/draft2019ILB.php)

Devin White*, ILB, LSU     Height: 6-0. Weight: 237. arm 32.13. Hand: 9.75.       40 Time: 4.42. Three Cone: 7.07.       Bench: 22. Vertical: 39.5. Broad: 9-10.   Projected Round (2019): Top-10.

4/20/19: A number of teams picking in the top 10 have White in contention for their selection, so he should go off the board quickly. As far as pure football players go, White is one of the five best players in the 2019 NFL Draft.   At the combine, White solidified his standing for the top half of the first round with an excellent workout, including a faster than expected 40 time. He is your quintessential linebacker who is a physical force against the run, covers ground in pass defense, and is a team leader who sets the tone for a violent, intimidating defense. White is worthy of being a top-16 pick in any draft class because he looks like a future difference-maker as a three-down starter in the NFL. He is a good fit for either a 4-3 or a 3-4 defense. White should be a starter quickly in his NFL career and could be a Pro Bowler early on.   White totaled 123 tackles with 12 for a loss, six passes broken up, three sacks and three forced fumbles in 2018. The junior was rock solid for LSU, showing excellent run-defense skills with the ability to contribute in coverage. White is also effective at generating pass pressure when blitzing. He is extremely instinctive and has a big-time presence.
Here is how one of the National scouts summarized White.

OKAY.   we draft 1st round linebackers in two successive years and with Milano have the best LB group in the league.  What did so scouts say about Devin White?

Here is how one of the National scouts summarized White:  (same Walter football piece)

"

This kid could end up being similar to Ray Lewis. I'd take White over any of the linebackers this year. He's unbelievable. Unless he gets hurt or completely shuts it down to protect himself, he'll be the first linebacker drafted next year. He's the complete package. Great character. He's the signal-caller of the defense with a super football IQ. He's big, study, and stout enough for Mike - middle linebacker; swift enough for Will - weakside linebacker -, great athlete and coverage instincts. Stacks up the stat boxes, all of them. He's fast, an explosive tackler, and [has] elite reactionary quickness.

"Right now, he's among the best, and maybe the best, I've scouted. Better athlete and versatility than [Dont'a] Hightower. More explosive, violent, and bigger than C.J. Mosley; same level of instincts. Better than Jerod Mayo at Tennessee. Bigger than Jonathan Vilma while being more violent and instinctive than D.J. Williams, same kind of freak athlete explosiveness-wise. [A] thumper like Sean Weatherspoon. Basically, he's a bigger version of Roquan Smith in the 240-250-pound range. He's FUN to watch. Unbelievable stamina and motor. He could be the best linebacker ever to come out of LSU."

OKAY,  he is a difference maker and there will be no weak spots in the linebacker corp.  With our good defensive backs the defense should be outstanding.

Now, what about defensive tackle?     I would want Oliver but if he is gone, we will be down a tier in defensive tackles and there are a lot of high ceiling 3-technique guys with decent floors available later in the draft that we don't have to reach for.  For example:  (comments copied from walter football)

Dre Mount Jones OSU   6-2 280    LATE 1st to 2nd round   "...Jones has ton of physical talent with speed at the point of attack. He is very fast with an excellent burst off the snap to fire his gap and cause disruption in the backfield. In the NFL, he would be a great fit as a three-technique in a 4-3...."

Chris Slayton, , Syracuse   6-3   307  2-3 round
4/20/19: Slayton was probably the best player at the East-West Shrine. He dominated in the pass-rushing one-on-ones, using speed, leverage, and strength to consistently get the better of the offensive linemen. Slayton also showed the ability to play a variety of techniques on the defensive line with versatility to fit any NFL defense. The athletic Slayton does a fantastic job of staying low and playing with good leverage while also utilizing the length that comes with his frame.

Khalen Saunders, Western Illinois     6-0  324  2,3 4 round
4/20/19: Every year, the Senior Bowl is a great opportunity for some small-school prospects to show they are legit NFL prospects, and Saunders was the small-school star of the 2019 Senior Bowl. He was very quick at the point of attack, showing the speed to dart by guards and pressure the quarterback. Saunders also has strength with a short, quick, thick build that makes him tough to block. He would be a good fit as a three-technique tackle in a 4-3 defense. S

Zach Allen, DE, Boston College     6-4  281    rounds 2,3
4/20/19: .....He played well for Boston College despite extra attention. Allen is a tough run defender and steadily puts pressure on the quarterback. He has good instincts and feel, and is a well-rounded player who has versatility for a 4-3 or 3-4 in the NFL. Allen is very strong and a bully on the field. He had a decent week at the Senior Bowl that displayed his strength to bully offensive linemen, but he also showed some limitations in terms of speed and athleticism. Allen would fit best as a five-technique defensive end.                 

I see no reason why he couldn't move to the interior.

::

We could get a short term 1 year rental of a veteran while these DT develop or just go with the Phillips and some rookie DT's.    About defensive tackles, please look at     who try to but a value on "disruptive value"   a.k.a.  (sacks + tackles for loss) per game.  Oliver, Saunders, and Zack Allen look pretty good there.https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/4/10/18300761/finding-the-superior-athlete-impact-defensive-tackles-in-the-2019-nfl-draft

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Shocker?  Not really.    Beane has said and shown last year, that he wants to get impact players from the draft. Not nice and good starter but impact players.   The Bills can let the draft come to them this year and they are in the position, where moving up gets real expensive. Move up one spot and it cost 50 points but every step up from that costs 100 points.   In this scenerio, Oliver, the 3 technique DT is already taken and the Bills build a linebacker corp that is awesome.  No weak links, all fast and hard-hitting stars, good in pass coverage and something that will give opposing offensives fits.  Let's look at what they have now.

Starters:            Milano     Edmunds     L.Alexander                quite a good start.                                 L.Alexander is sort of a DE/LB type with 13 years on the clock.

Backups;   M.Alexander(5)- a sort of safety/LB      Deon Lacey(3)           Juilus Stanford(6)       corey Thompson(2)                  Really, have you heard of these fellows?

Edmunds plays SAM  , Milano plays WILL and White plays MIKE.   All three are 3 down players.  Edmunds and White are threats to rush the passer.  Yes, we often played with 2 LB last year on 3rd down.  With different players, the scheme can change.  Now what about White?  ( http://walterfootball.com/draft2019ILB.php)

OKAY.   we draft 1st round linebackers in two successive years and with Milano have the best LB group in the league.  What did so scouts say about Devin White?

Here is how one of the National scouts summarized White:  (same Walter football piece)

"

OKAY,  he is a difference maker and there will be no weak spots in the linebacker corp.  With our good defensive backs the defense should be outstanding.

Now, what about defensive tackle?     I would want Oliver but if he is gone, we will be down a tier in defensive tackles and there are a lot of high ceiling 3-technique guys with decent floors available later in the draft that we don't have to reach for.  For example:  (comments copied from walter football)

I see no reason why he couldn't move to the interior.

::

We could get a short term 1 year rental of a veteran while these DT develop or just go with the Phillips and some rookie DT's.    About defensive tackles, please look at     who try to but a value on "disruptive value"   a.k.a.  (sacks + tackles for loss) per game.  Oliver, Saunders, and Zack Allen look pretty good there.

Simmons.

I love White...Could be a devastating and disruptive force. A good DT can still be found in late 1st or second. I am all for him if he is there. White, DT and Burns would be a great scenario. Zach Allen!

Well...I wish!

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WMDman said:

hes not getting past the Bucs

I think you are right. I have a feeling that the Bills like White...one of those under the radar players. If it were me, I would try to get him.

White is just one of those players that bring it. There is no doubt.

• Like (+1) 1

Great player but what are we doing with Edmunds? Milano is awesome at WLB so that would move either one of them to SLB where its a far less impactful position...I dont disagree that he is worth the pick but I dont see how this makes sense in a 4-3...in a 3-4 hell yeah...you'd have Edmunds and Bush running sideline to sideline...in a 4-3 it doesn't really seem to fit as well.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WMDman said:

hes not getting past the Bucs

Maybe maybe not. If 2 QB's are taken in the top 8,,,,,and,,,,,Bosa, Q.Williams, & Josh Allen also go,,,,, then that is 5 guys gone.   If 3 of the 6: Gary, Oliver, Burns, Sweat, Taylor (OT)  go, then we got our shot.    I would be more worried about Detroit, who have poorer linebackers.

Just now, IgotBILLStopay said:

Devin White is good and may even go Top 5. But he is not in a superior draft grade category to Q. Williams, Ed Oliver or even Montez Sweat. Bills are not taking him when impactful Dline BPAs are available.

What about a combination of White and Zach Allen? Edmunds may thrive on the outside.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Great player but what are we doing with Edmunds? Milano is awesome at WLB so that would move either one of them to SLB where its a far less impactful position...I dont disagree that he is worth the pick but I dont see how this makes sense in a 4-3...in a 3-4 hell yeah...you'd have Edmunds and Bush running sideline to sideline...in a 4-3 it doesn't really seem to fit as well.

Edmunds plays the SAM.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

My only issue with drafting White is nickel defenses are practically base defenses at this point. We're not going to have 3 LBs on the field often enough to take a LB high.

We have no idea how Milano will respond after this injury. Lorax is in his twilight. Bring in White based on his impact alone. I would find a way to accomodate him, or assimilate him in this defense.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

My only issue with drafting White is nickel defenses are practically base defenses at this point. We're not going to have 3 LBs on the field often enough to take a LB high.

But we have better than average DB's and all three of these linebackers are fast and good in coverage.  They could expand the coverage of the shallow zones or be a threat to blitz, which would help the defensive ends or EDGE players. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The only thing that I’ll say to that is that if those were your LBs you’d play less nickel. White is an absolute monster he’s going to be a great pro.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

But we have better than average DB's and all three of these linebackers are fast and good in coverage.  They could expand the coverage of the shallow zones or be a threat to blitz, which would help the defensive ends or EDGE players. 

Yes! Also, White is an excellent athlete as well. I do not believe that he or the system employed is so rigid that he cannot adapt. White is the kind of player that we need. A combination of White and another disruptive type DT. We need to get after people...convincingly!

Edited by Rocket94
  • Haha (+1) 1