Christian Wilkins

Bakin

On 4/21/2019 at 2:05 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Also, can I suggest if you look closely at Star’s contract he is here for another two years... Doesn’t make sense to me to cut him after this season for $8M dead money to save $2M... could you honestly say he could be replaced for $2M?

Who said anything about cutting Star? Star plays the 0-technique position. Wilkins would start alongside him at the 3-technique position. We are one quality defensive tackle short of a full rotation at this point, and McDermott loves his d-line rotation.

35 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

If we are definitely going DT, I’m all for giving up next years 1st to move up and get Quinnen Williams, but if not, Wilkins is a solid backup plan.

We didnt give up future 1sts for Josh Allen for a reason........and if Beane isnt going to do it for a QB.....he is not doing it for ANYBODY

21 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I like this young man, but as others have stated boy is the film unimpressive.

I know he is quick, but it just looks like very single guy he is lined up in front of just plain doesn't try. 

I mean really looks like that is highlight really isn't as much as anything special he does, but just an indictment of how bad the guy he is playing against is.

He is a universally rated 1st round pick, in one of the most exclusive professional sports leagues in the world, for a reason.  I hate the lead up to the draft because players get picked apart so much it leaves people down on players when they really shouldn't be.

I'd prefer Williams or Oliver too, but Wilkins is no booby prize.  If the Bills take him you will be happy soon enough.  He's an excellent player and has been for quite a while.

Edited by purple haze
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

When I first say Wilkins rumored to be a possibility @ 9 I was underwhelmed (mainly due to being focused on Oliver or Williams), but I have been seeing there is a lot interest in other teams in the Top 10 and him even going as high as 6 to the G-Men in a couple of mocks.

I took a look at some prospect lists and he is considered a top ten talent in this class and would fill a major need of 3 tech DT for McD and I am warming to him being a very viable pick for Beane at 9 or move back a couple of spots. At least he wouldn't be a reach and would help give pressure presence on the D-line.

Gil Brants Top 150

# 10 Christian Wilkins, DT

School: Clemson | Year: Senior 
Wilkins had a very good pro-day workout. At the combine, he ran a 5.04 40 at 315 pounds. The very disruptive player won the William Campbell Trophy, a.k.a. the academic Heisman. The very high-character person has very good quickness for his size and is extremely flexible. He's a better pass rusher than run stopper. Random fact: Wilkins has seven siblings.

ESPN Scout 

# 5 Christian Wilkins, DT (Oliver is #8)

Pre-Draft Analysis

Wilkins is a polished pass-rusher with quick hands and an excellent motor. He is an active and disruptive run-defender who slips blocks and makes plays in pursuit. He plays in every facet of special teams and contributes as a lead blocker in some short-yardage packages.

Dane Brugler 

# 8 Christian Wilkins, DT

Lining up primarily over the B-gap, Wilkins became the school’s fifth unanimous All-American (2018) and the first Clemson player to win the William V. Campbell Trophy, also known as the Academic Heisman. Moving differently than most his size, he uses his loose lower body, contact balance and active hands in conjunction to squirt through gaps. His high-character intangibles will be a strong selling point for an NFL team looking for a high-floor prospect. Overall, Wilkins is an inconsistent run defender, but his quickness, body flexibility and ball awareness lead to backfield production, projecting as a penetrating three-technique in a four-man base.

16 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We didnt give up future 1sts for Josh Allen for a reason........and if Beane isnt going to do it for a QB.....he is not doing it for ANYBODY

I don’t think he will either but I think he was especially protective of the 2019 1st because he thought it could be top 10 and he was right 

2 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Me too. Has a chance to be a multiple Pro Bowler. Great in the locker room and in the community. Fits a need. Safe pick but that's not all that bad. I can see Wilkins and Edmunds being captains of the Defense for years.

When did “safe” ever become a bad thing? Is lack of red flags a red flag now? I don’t shy away from risky picks where warranted but I  certainly don’t see “safe” as a negative. I saw some people not like the fact that he’s 24, Idgaf as long as he can play. His age might be more of an issue if he was a raw prospect but he’s not, so I don’t see why he’s not an automatic top 10-15 pick 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

When did “safe” ever become a bad thing? Is lack of red flags a red flag now? I don’t shy away from risky picks where warranted but I  certainly don’t see “safe” as a negative. I saw some people not like the fact that he’s 24, Idgaf as long as he can play. His age might be more of an issue if he was a raw prospect but he’s not, so I don’t see why he’s not an automatic top 10-15 pick 

100%

Another pet peeve is when people say- "I'd take him at 15 but not at 9."  lol.  Like that matters....  Just get me good players.

22 hours ago, dneveu said:

I like him - but he doesn't help with the pass rush like Oliver and Williams are projected to.  He's a high motor guy, moves really well for a big man, and will probably be a top player that nobody knows about for quite a few years.  

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2019-nfl-draft-profile-di-christian-wilkins-clemson

I am conflicted but feel that this will be our draft choice at #9 tomorrow night.

Not much sizzle, but very solid.  Maybe  a little like the Shaq Lawson draft pick where I was hoping for better, but that was the best player at that time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I am conflicted but feel that this will be our draft choice at #9 tomorrow night.

Not much sizzle, but very solid.  Maybe  a little like the Shaq Lawson draft pick where I was hoping for better, but that was the best player at that time.

Wilkins won't be the best player on the board at 9. I don't think he's a bad player. But he's not a good pick at 9. He's older for a rookie, his floor is high, but he's also probably pretty close to his ceiling. He's maxed out because he's 23 going on 24 and there's just not a ton of growth left for him. I could get behind him as a pick with a trade down but it's not something I can support at 9.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, dneveu said:

I like him - but he doesn't help with the pass rush like Oliver and Williams are projected to.  He's a high motor guy, moves really well for a big man, and will probably be a top player that nobody knows about for quite a few years.  

Wilkins was one of two players to rank in the top-five in both total pressures and defensive stops in 2018, showing he’s capable of being dominant regardless of the play