Christian Wilkins

Bakin

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Star isn’t going anywhere. He has no trade value and his contract makes it stupid to cut him.

True........the cap hit for cutting him is extraordinary right now...........but if he continues on the decline slope of last year then it would be important to have someone to force him off the active game day roster and actually impact the offensive backfield.  That would allow them to cut bait after this season.    If he gets any worse he's not worth the roster spot.   Hopefully he finds some of the Lorax juice but looked to me that he was semi-retired last year so I don't expect any change in course.   This isn't a 3-4......the IDL are expected to make *some* plays.   They save a little over $2M if they cut him after the 2019 season and now is the time to get your piping hot DT prospects..........not sure about next year.   Dexter Lawrence in round 2 would be a good fit.    Can play either DT spot, IMO.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

Love Lawrence, would have no gripes with trading up into the end of the first round to snag him.

there's so many combinations of moves we can make. if oliver is gone, maybe we get sweat and then lawrence. if we trade down a bit, maybe they take clelin ferrell and then grab lawrence. i believe they are going to get both a dt and an edge....hopefully with the first 2 picks, but at least in the first 3.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

there's so many combinations of moves we can make. if oliver is gone, maybe we get sweat and then lawrence. if we trade down a bit, maybe they take clelin ferrell and then grab lawrence. i believe they are going to get both a dt and an edge....hopefully with the first 2 picks, but at least in the first 3.

I'm willing to go DT or Edge early, but I want one of the first two picks on the offensive side of the ledger. Developing Allen is priority number one and he still needs more weapons imo.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

A #9 DT has to be more than a one-trick pony.    IMO, he'd be a liability on the inside running game with his lack of strength/anchor.     

Shooting gaps looks great...unless it's the wrong gap and you get gashed up the middle, which has been a problem for this team for far too long.

He isn't a one trick pony. He can play with strength. That writeup is why they believe he can't play nose, in a 2 gap or at the 5 spot. It has nothing to do with him being a one gap 3.

Very hard to get on board with a guy who will turn 24 in his rookie season. He's already close to his athletic downturn when his rookie deal expires 

Why have we given up on Harrison Phillips? He looked promising. Star Lotulelei just got signed to mega bucks. Jordan Phillips looked good. Why do we need 4 quality DTs? Why? Why, Dear Lord? I can definitely go for a DE, not a DT. I'm sorry. I'm going to be ultra disappointed if we do. Oliver and Quinnen W. will be gone. Trade down for a WR or Hock.

7 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Why have we given up on Harrison Phillips? He looked promising. Star Lotulelei just got signed to mega bucks. Jordan Phillips looked good. Why do we need 4 quality DTs? Why? Why, Dear Lord? I can definitely go for a DE, not a DT. I'm sorry. I'm going to be ultra disappointed if we do. Oliver and Quinnen W. will be gone. Trade down for a WR or Hock.

Both Philips are second wave guys and Star is barely average, that's why.

1 minute ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Both Philips are second wave guys and Star is barely average, that's why.

Well, Harrison was graded as above average by PFF, which matches what I saw on tape. He's going to be very good. Star is also going to start, period. Jordan is a good rotational piece. By all means draft a guy, but not at 9. I'm all ears for a DE though. That'd be okay, I guess.... Give me OL, WR or Hock preferably. 

Wilkins to me seems a “safe”’pick and from what I see from Beane he prefers to swing for the fences rather than play it safe..

Also, can I suggest if you look closely at Star’s contract he is here for another two years... Doesn’t make sense to me to cut him after this season for $8M dead money to save $2M... could you honestly say he could be replaced for $2M?

Edited by Aussie Joe

Agreed, he is a safe pick.  Solid player and is better than any of our DTs.  That being said, if we trade down and get another 2nd, I’d be ok with him being out first pick.  If he’s the guy at 9, I’ll feel like we could’ve done more with that pick, AKA, trade down even if we only got a 3rd in return

• Like (+1) 2

The more I learn about Christian Wilkins the more I believe he will be the pick if he is there at #9. This guy is the process. He fits everything McBeane is looking for and is an elite player at a major potion of need. Have a listen to this speech.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, wppete said:

The more I learn about Christian Wilkins the more I believe he will be the pick if he is there at #9. This guy is the process. He fits everything McBeane is looking for and is an elite player at a major potion of need. Have a listen to this speech.

An impressive young man. Thanks for sharing this.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Wilkins to me seems a “safe”’pick and from what I see from Beane he prefers to swing for the fences rather than play it safe..

Also, can I suggest if you look closely at Star’s contract he is here for another two years... Doesn’t make sense to me to cut him after this season for $8M dead money to save $2M... could you honestly say he could be replaced for $2M?

There is also the matter of the $6M plus in unguaranteed 2020 base salary that they wouldn't have to pay out if they cut him next offseason.

They may only save $2M in "cap space" cutting him next offseason.........but that base salary still represents cap room spent.........and that's money saved immediately and will show up as cap savings going forward because you can roll over savings.

But it's more than a cap savings/dead money issue.

In a system where you need some plays from your DT's it's a problem that he went from always having 8-13 TFL + QB hits per year in the same system in Carolina to 1 in Buffalo.

It reflects his lack of impact on the pocket.   What's that going to look like being a year older?    Or two years older?    The Bills again struggled to get sacks despite good pressure from Jerry Hughes.   They need more push AND more penetration from the DT's.  

Moving on from him could end up being a matter of roster numbers.........you'd hope they wouldn't have someone THAT unproductive in their rotation in 2020.      

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is also the matter of the $6M plus in unguaranteed 2020 base salary that they wouldn't have to pay out if they cut him next offseason.

They may only save $2M in "cap space" cutting him next offseason.........but that base salary still represents cap room spent.........and that's money saved immediately and will show up as cap savings going forward because you can roll over savings.

But it's more than a cap savings/dead money issue.

In a system where you need some plays from your DT's it's a problem that he went from always having 8-13 TFL + QB hits per year in the same system in Carolina to 1 in Buffalo.

It reflects his lack of impact on the pocket.   What's that going to look like being a year older?    Or two years older?    The Bills again struggled to get sacks despite good pressure from Jerry Hughes.   They need more push AND more penetration from the DT's.  

Moving on from him could end up being a matter of roster numbers.........you'd hope they wouldn't have someone THAT unproductive in their rotation in 2020.      

Ok... I see what you are saying..

They will save on his salary in 2020 so indeed it’s possible they could move on at the end of 2019...

Lets see if someone emerges this year from the draft or elsewhere to unseat him.

• Like (+1) 1

The tackle he played with is an athletic freak.  Imo Lawerence is the least talked about tackle but may go earlier than some think.  I think Lawrence goes before Wilkins.  Honestly, it's a numbers game aswell.  Wilkins is a first rd talent at DT.  There are multiple guys on the defense interior, depending what defense you run Wilkins could be the 5th.  

I like this young man, but as others have stated boy is the film unimpressive.

I know he is quick, but it just looks like very single guy he is lined up in front of just plain doesn't try. 

I mean really looks like that is highlight really isn't as much as anything special he does, but just an indictment of how bad the guy he is playing against is.