H2o First Round Mock - Bills Complete

H2o

I do this every year just for fun. One early on in the process and then one usually the weekend before. Some have turned out really well, some have not. Here's what I'm feeling for next Thursday night.

1. Arizona Cardinals - Kyler Murray / QB / Oklahoma - This has been the worst kept secret in recent years. A year after taking Rosen the Cardinals, with a new regime in place, go with a new QB. Rosen gets moved on draft day. 

2. San Francisco 49'ers - Nick Bosa / DE / Ohio St. - Bosa is the best pass rusher and arguably the best player in the draft. He and Dee Ford are going to be a nighmare for opposing QB's in the NFC West. 

3. New York Jets - Quinnen Williams / DT/ Alabama - All of the Oliver talk is just talk and I don't think Greggo has as much sway even if he did want Oliver. The Jets make a solid, safe pick here getting one of the elite talents in the draft. 

4. Oakland Raiders - Montez Sweat / DE / Miss. St. - I know Josh Allen is a popular pick here, but I think Mayock/Gruden go for a more freakish athlete. Sweat put up numbers in college, had an outstanding week at the Senior Bowl, and then had a "wow" performance at the combine. That 4.41 forty with a 1.55 10yd split @ 260lbs is whoa. 

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Josh Allen / DE / Kentucky - Even with the addition of JPP that Tampa defense still had trouble pressuring the QB. Allen immediately upgrades this unit. I know people love Devin White here, but I think the opportunity to get one of the top pass rushers in the draft is too enticing to pass up. 

6. New York Giants - DK Metcalf / WR / Ole Miss - This is the first real curveball of the 2019 draft. Gettleman talks all in on Eli. I don't think it's just talk. If Eli bombs this year then they'll go all in on Tua or Herbert or maybe even Fromm. They traded away Beckham and know that Shepard/Tate cannot fill those shoes. Just like with Barkley, Metcalf is an elite/high ceiling talent at the position. I think here they add what they feel could be another OROY over everyone else available. 

7. Jacksonville Jaguars - Ed Oliver / DT / Houston - One year after having one of the truly elite defenses in the NFL, Jax fell apart last year. Injuries, bad breaks, having Bortles deflating your hopes at every turn, whatever it was it wasn't pretty. They moved on from Malik Jackson and I think Oliver is their idea of an upgrade. 

8. Detroit Lions - Devin White / LB / LSU - Imo, White is the 2nd coming of Ray Lewis. The guy has great football instincts, sees the field, knocks the snot out of people, and can cover. Patricia and the Lions won't waste 30 seconds making this call. 

9. ***Trade*** Washington Redskins - Drew Lock / QB / Mizzou - The Redskins move ahead of Denver and Miami to get whom they feel is the best QB in the class. Alex Smith is likely done, Keenum is a stopgap at best, and Colt McCoy is Colt McCoy. In the trade the Bills move back to #15 and pick up #46. 

10. Denver Broncos - Devin Bush / LB / Michigan - The best player on the Michigan defense comes off the board here after the Redskins move up to take the QB Elway was eying. Flacco will get his shot in Denver now. As far as Bush goes, he's the 2nd best LB prospect in this draft behind Devin White. 

11. Cincinnati Bengals - Jawaan Taylor / OT / Florida - Put every position on a dart board and pick whatever the dart hits when you throw it with your eyes closed. The Bengals could use help everywhere. Taylor helps to upgrade the protection for Dalton. 

12. Green Bay Packers - Jonah Williams / OT / Alabama - The Packers haven't invested in protecting their star QB in recent years because they spent like 10 picks on DB's. They could go Hockenson here, but I think we get back to back OL picks. 

13. Miami Dolphins - Dwayne Haskins / QB / Ohio St. - Fitz is not the answer, but he will start the season out in Miami. Haskins will replace him at some point, but will get to learn from the sidelines for a while. He can make all the throws and I believe the new regime in Miami pulls the trigger on him here. 

14. Atlanta Falcons - TJ Hockenson / TE / Iowa - Matt Ryan has always loved his TE's. I also believe that this is the best landing spot for Hock with Julio and Ridley taking pressure off from the outside. He could make a huge impact on this offense. 

15. Buffalo Bills - Christian Wilkins / DT / Clemson - Might not be popular with some, but he is going to be a good NFL player. He was a consistent and disruptive player at Clemson as Freshman through the duration. The main thing he does is win his matchups up front and pressure the QB from the middle. That is exactly what we need. He will play himself right into the starting lineup imo.

16. Carolina Panthers - Clelin Ferrell / DE / Clemson - The Panthers haven't had anyone who can get to the QB consistently in quite some time. Ferrell is a step in the right direction. 

17. New York Giants - Rashan Gary / DL / Michigan - The Giants address their pass rush here with Gary after taking DK at #6. He has great athleticism, but never truly put it together @ Michigan. I think the Giants put him on the edge and see what he can do. 

18. Minnesota Vikings - Andre Dillard / OT / Washington St. - The Vikings could really use some OL help and here they get it. 

19. Tennessee Titans - Dexter Lawrence / DT / Clemson - The Titans are truly shaping up like a throwback team. Control the ball by pounding it with Henry and beat the crap out of you on defense. Lawrence will add to that defensive approach. 

20. Pittsburgh Steelers - Marquise Brown / WR / Oklahoma - Juju is going to be the man now in Pittsburgh, but Brown is going to be the guy who takes the lid off of the defense. The Steelers do have other needs, but I think Brown fits here. 

21. Seattle Seahawks - Brian Burns / DE / Florida St. - The Seattle team is in limbo right now with Frank Clark and were already in need of another edge rusher. Burns fits the edge rush need, but he will need to add some weight to truly be effective at the next level. His first step is amazing though and he was highly productive in college. 

22. Baltimore Ravens - N'Keal Harry / WR / Arizona St. - A big-bodied WR who makes a lot of contested catches seems like the best fit for Lamar Jackson and this Baltimore offense. 

23. Houston Texans - Cody Ford / OT / Oklahoma - Watson took a lot of hits last year. They have to protect their QB. This will also help Miller, Foreman, and the run game as well. 

24. Oakland Raiders - Greedy Williams / CB / LSU - Mayock is a former DB and will be the loudest voice in the room for this pick. Williams has all you look for in a potential lockdown corner. The Raiders clearly have a need and it's met with potentially the best prospect at the position in the draft. 

25. Philadelphia Eagles - Dalton Risner / OT / Kansas St. - The Eagles are another team with OL needs and Risner is a guy who fits their mold. He will be a solid OT and could possibly be an All Pro at G. He plays with a mean streak and would be a good get for Philly. 

26. Indianapolis Colts - Bryon Murphy / CB / Washington - Another team with a need at CB and there is one of the top 2 prospects at the position left on the board. 

27. Oakland Raiders - Noah Fant / TE / Iowa - They lost Jared Cook in FA and the guys left are less than impressive to say the least. Fant would get every opportunity to make an impact year one for this team and should be used similar to Evan Ingram in NY. 

28. Los Angeles Chargers - Jeffrey Simmons / DT / Miss St. - Simmons would likely have gone higher than this if not for the injury. Watch the tape. The guy is a monster. The Chargers are a team without any pressing needs for the most part and can afford to wait or even allow a 1st a "red shirt" year. 

29. Kansas City Chiefs - Josh Jacobs / RB / Alabama - If the Chiefs had Kareem Hunt for the duration last year they likely win the SB. They were still only an offside penalty away from making it there. Adding Jacobs, a complete RB, likely puts them right back where they were with Hunt. 

30. Green Bay Packers (from NO) - Irv Smith / TE / Alabama - Rodgers is another QB who loves an athletic TE running the seams over the middle of the field. They address the OL with the early pick and get a super athletic TE prospect late in the 1st. 

31. Los Angeles Rams - Jerry Tillery / DT / Notre Dame - The Rams were completely out of sync against that Pats defense. Gurley not being himself as well as the OL being exposed surely attributed. They could go OL here, but I think Tillery is the best remaining DT prospect and there is a hole left by Suh leaving. Playing beside Donald will also take his ability to impact up a notch as well. 

32. New England Patriots - Daniel Jones / QB / Duke - Life after Brady is so close you can almost taste it. With all of the worthy TE prospects off of the board, the Pats take another shot on the QB of the future. Jones will get to learn behind on e of the best to ever play the position for a year or two. 

Buffalo Bills rest of the way:

#40 - Deebo Samuel / WR / South Carolina

#46 - Miles Sanders / RB / Penn St. 

#74 - Tytus Howard / OT / Alabama St.

#112 - Maxx Crosby / DE / Eastern Michigan

#131 - Terrill Hanks / LB / New Mexico St. 

#143 - Trevon Wesco / TE / West Virginia (trade #158 + both 7ths)

#147 - Jordan Brailford / DE / Oklahoma St.

#181 - Mitch Wishnowsky / P / Utah

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

I do this every year just for fun. One early on in the process and then one usually the weekend before. Some have turned out really well, some have not. Here's what I'm feeling for next Thursday night.

1. Arizona Cardinals - Kyler Murray / QB / Oklahoma - This has been the worst kept secret in recent years. A year after taking Rosen the Cardinals, with a new regime in place, go with a new QB. Rosen gets moved on draft day. 

2. San Francisco 49'ers - Nick Bosa / DE / Ohio St. - Bosa is the best pass rusher and arguably the best player in the draft. He and Dee Ford are going to be a nighmare for opposing QB's in the NFC West. 

3. New York Jets - Quinnen Williams / DT/ Alabama - All of the Oliver talk is just talk and I don't think Greggo has as much sway even if he did want Oliver. The Jets make a solid, safe pick here getting one of the elite talents in the draft. 

4. Oakland Raiders - Montez Sweat / DE / Miss. St. - I know Josh Allen is a popular pick here, but I think Mayock/Gruden go for a more freakish athlete. Sweat put up numbers in college, had an outstanding week at the Senior Bowl, and then had a "wow" performance at the combine. That 4.41 forty with a 1.55 10yd split @ 260lbs is whoa. 

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Josh Allen / DE / Kentucky - Even with the addition of JPP that Tampa defense still had trouble pressuring the QB. Allen immediately upgrades this unit. I know people love Devin White here, but I think the opportunity to get one of the top pass rushers in the draft is too enticing to pass up. 

6. New York Giants - DK Metcalf / WR / Ole Miss - This is the first real curveball of the 2019 draft. Gettleman talks all in on Eli. I don't think it's just talk. If Eli bombs this year then they'll go all in on Tua or Herbert or maybe even Fromm. They traded away Beckham and know that Shepard/Tate cannot fill those shoes. Just like with Barkley, Metcalf is an elite/high ceiling talent at the position. I think here they add what they feel could be another OROY over everyone else available. 

7. Jacksonville Jaguars - Ed Oliver / DT / Houston - One year after having one of the truly elite defenses in the NFL, Jax fell apart last year. Injuries, bad breaks, having Bortles deflating your hopes at every turn, whatever it was it wasn't pretty. They moved on from Malik Jackson and I think Oliver is their idea of an upgrade. 

8. Detroit Lions - Devin White / LB / LSU - Imo, White is the 2nd coming of Ray Lewis. The guy has great football instincts, sees the field, knocks the snot out of people, and can cover. Patricia and the Lions won't waste 30 seconds making this call. 

9. ***Trade*** Washington Redskins - Drew Lock / QB / Mizzou - The Redskins move ahead of Denver and Miami to get whom they feel is the best QB in the class. Alex Smith is likely done, Keenum is a stopgap at best, and Colt McCoy is Colt McCoy. In the trade the Bills move back to #15 and pick up #46. 

10. Denver Broncos - Devin Bush / LB / Michigan - The best player on the Michigan defense comes off the board here after the Redskins move up to take the QB Elway was eying. Flacco will get his shot in Denver now. As far as Bush goes, he's the 2nd best LB prospect in this draft behind Devin White. 

11. Cincinnati Bengals - Jawaan Taylor / OT / Florida - Put every position on a dart board and pick whatever the dart hits when you throw it with your eyes closed. The Bengals could use help everywhere. Taylor helps to upgrade the protection for Dalton. 

12. Green Bay Packers - Jonah Williams / OT / Alabama - The Packers haven't invested in protecting their star QB in recent years because they spent like 10 picks on DB's. They could go Hockenson here, but I think we get back to back OL picks. 

13. Miami Dolphins - Dwayne Haskins / QB / Ohio St. - Fitz is not the answer, but he will start the season out in Miami. Haskins will replace him at some point, but will get to learn from the sidelines for a while. He can make all the throws and I believe the new regime in Miami pulls the trigger on him here. 

14. Atlanta Falcons - TJ Hockenson / TE / Iowa - Matt Ryan has always loved his TE's. I also believe that this is the best landing spot for Hock with Julio and Ridley taking pressure off from the outside. He could make a huge impact on this offense. 

15. Buffalo Bills - Christian Wilkins / DT / Clemson - Might not be popular with some, but he is going to be a good NFL player. He was a consistent and disruptive player at Clemson as Freshman through the duration. The main thing he does is win his matchups up front and pressure the QB from the middle. That is exactly what we need. He will play himself right into the starting lineup imo.

16. Carolina Panthers - Clelin Ferrell / DE / Clemson - The Panthers haven't had anyone who can get to the QB consistently in quite some time. Ferrell is a step in the right direction. 

17. New York Giants - Rashan Gary / DL / Michigan - The Giants address their pass rush here with Gary after taking DK at #6. He has great athleticism, but never truly put it together @ Michigan. I think the Giants put him on the edge and see what he can do. 

18. Minnesota Vikings - Andre Dillard / OT / Washington St. - The Vikings could really use some OL help and here they get it. 

19. Tennessee Titans - Dexter Lawrence / DT / Clemson - The Titans are truly shaping up like a throwback team. Control the ball by pounding it with Henry and beat the crap out of you on defense. Lawrence will add to that defensive approach. 

20. Pittsburgh Steelers - Marquise Brown / WR / Oklahoma - Juju is going to be the man now in Pittsburgh, but Brown is going to be the guy who takes the lid off of the defense. The Steelers do have other needs, but I think Brown fits here. 

21. Seattle Seahawks - Brian Burns / DE / Florida St. - The Seattle team is in limbo right now with Frank Clark and were already in need of another edge rusher. Burns fits the edge rush need, but he will need to add some weight to truly be effective at the next level. His first step is amazing though and he was highly productive in college. 

22. Baltimore Ravens - N'Keal Harry / WR / Arizona St. - A big-bodied WR who makes a lot of contested catches seems like the best fit for Lamar Jackson and this Baltimore offense. 

23. Houston Texans - Cody Ford / OT / Oklahoma - Watson took a lot of hits last year. They have to protect their QB. This will also help Miller, Foreman, and the run game as well. 

24. Oakland Raiders - Greedy Williams / CB / LSU - Mayock is a former DB and will be the loudest voice in the room for this pick. Williams has all you look for in a potential lockdown corner. The Raiders clearly have a need and it's met with potentially the best prospect at the position in the draft. 

25. Philadelphia Eagles - Dalton Risner / OT / Kansas St. - The Eagles are another team with OL needs and Risner is a guy who fits their mold. He will be a solid OT and could possibly be an All Pro at G. He plays with a mean streak and would be a good get for Philly. 

26. Indianapolis Colts - Bryon Murphy / CB / Washington - Another team with a need at CB and there is one of the top 2 prospects at the position left on the board. 

27. Oakland Raiders - Noah Fant / TE / Iowa - They lost Jared Cook in FA and the guys left are less than impressive to say the least. Fant would get every opportunity to make an impact year one for this team and should be used similar to Evan Ingram in NY. 

28. Los Angeles Chargers - Jeffrey Simmons / DT / Miss St. - Simmons would likely have gone higher than this if not for the injury. Watch the tape. The guy is a monster. The Chargers are a team without any pressing needs for the most part and can afford to wait or even allow a 1st a "red shirt" year. 

29. Kansas City Chiefs - Josh Jacobs / RB / Alabama - If the Chiefs had Kareem Hunt for the duration last year they likely win the SB. They were still only an offside penalty away from making it there. Adding Jacobs, a complete RB, likely puts them right back where they were with Hunt. 

30. Green Bay Packers (from NO) - Irv Smith / TE / Alabama - Rodgers is another QB who loves an athletic TE running the seams over the middle of the field. They address the OL with the early pick and get a super athletic TE prospect late in the 1st. 

31. Los Angeles Rams - Jerry Tillery / DT / Notre Dame - The Rams were completely out of sync against that Pats defense. Gurley not being himself as well as the OL being exposed surely attributed. They could go OL here, but I think Tillery is the best remaining DT prospect and there is a hole left by Suh leaving. Playing beside Donald will also take his ability to impact up a notch as well. 

32. New England Patriots - Daniel Jones / QB / Duke - Life after Brady is so close you can almost taste it. With all of the worthy TE prospects off of the board, the Pats take another shot on the QB of the future. Jones will get to learn behind on e of the best to ever play the position for a year or two. 

#48 - Miles Sanders / RB / Penn St. 

I really like Deebo. But man, we need some size on the outside. I like Boykin in the 3rd. Size/Speed/Contested catches. Think he's one to watch at the next level.

Otherwise, I would be fine with this draft. Wilkins is very good, just not at 9( for me)

• Like (+1) 1

OP loved the draft at the top.  Wilkins and Deebo are playmakers and help immediately.  Like the Miles Sander pick at 48 OT pick at 74.  Would use one of the late picks (maybe last one) on a size/speed WR developmental prospect so we don't risk losing them in as UDFA.

Believe the Cory/Corey fight at Punter will yield the right man so not sure drafting one is warranted.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Oy - appreciate the work you put in every year - this would end up like Whaley’s last real draft.  Wilkins is a similar player to Shaq Lawson in that he excels at nothing and probably has hit his ceiling already, meaning he never makes it to a second contact here.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, H2o said:

Picking that early I don't think coming away with Wilkins(and a meh RB in Sanders) is good value.

Wilkins will turn 24 this season.

He'll be hitting his year 29 season as he goes into free agency.

I think he'll be a solid player but probably a bit too far toward his ceiling as a prospect and unless you are a great pass rusher at DT that position is not one of the key ones.

That would be tough if the draft fell that way, but it could definitely happen.

I think the Bills are targeting Oliver, Metcalf, or White. Taylor and Hockenson are probably next up, it would really be a disappointing day if they missed out on those 5 elite guys.

Random thoughts:

I really hope the Pats take Daniel Jones irl.

KC taking a rb in rd one is just dreadful. Their Not so good D was decimated.  They have no pass rushers.  Their DL is meh minus Jones. LBS and corners are meh.  Their RB, Williams dominated in his starts.  I thought he played better than hunt. They also signed Hyde.  While I love Jacobs, that makes no sense considering how bad that D is.

DK @ 6 lol.  

Wilkins is ok but I’d rather trade down again and grab him, Lawrence or Tillery.  

I love Deebo.  I hope he’s a Bill.

Would rather pass on a RB in this draft.  All these guys are pretty meh imo. I do like sanders more than most, but I think there’s better value on the board

5 minutes ago, billspro said:

That would be tough if the draft fell that way, but it could definitely happen.

I think the Bills are targeting Oliver, Metcalf, or White. Taylor and Hockenson are probably next up, it would really be a disappointing day if they missed out on those 5 elite guys.

Metcalf is now ELITE?  Lol oh man.  

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Random thoughts:

I really hope the Pats take Daniel Jones irl.

KC taking a rb in rd one is just dreadful. Their Not so good D was decimated.  They have no pass rushers.  Their DL is meh minus Jones. LBS and corners are meh.  Their RB, Williams dominated in his starts.  I thought he played better than hunt. They also signed Hyde.  While I love Jacobs, that makes no sense considering how bad that D is.

DK @ 6 lol.  

Wilkins is ok but I’d rather trade down again and grab him, Lawrence or Tillery.  

I love Deebo.  I hope he’s a Bill.

Would rather pass on a RB in this draft.  All these guys are pretty meh imo. I do like sanders more than most, but I think there’s better value on the board

Metcalf is now ELITE?  Lol oh man.  

I think he is, I would put him at the same level as AJ Green coming out.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

If the Giants pass on QB (Haskins),  Gettleman will have a one way ticket out of NY. If he does, the Bengals will trade up with the Bills and take him before the Dolphins. I like the rest of your draft except Metcalf will be the WR and Zach Allen will be defense

Edited by the skycap

I like the Crosby, Howard, Wesco, and Wishnowsky picks.

The Bills have had visits with Crosby, Wesco, and Howard, so those are all realistic picks.

I view the Christian Wilkins pick as quite realistic, as well. Due to his extremely high character, his history of consistent production and versatility, and his alpha dog mentality, I could ABSOLUTELY see him being our pick in the 1st round. I would ESPECIALLY be on board with it if we traded down 1st and gained an extra 2nd round pick.

I knew the Wilkins pick wouldn't be popular with some of you, but he's a hell of a football player. He's projected as middle first round prospect as well so it's not a reach. He's also only 23 and would be 28 at the end of his first deal assuming we pick up the 5th year option. Kyle was how old when he just retired and was still productive? Wilkins has improved every year while at Clemson. In 2018 Wilkins totaled 50 tackles, 14 for a loss, 5.5 sacks, and a forced fumble. He was also around the QB creating pressure a lot more than the sack numbers indicate. 

7 hours ago, H2o said:

Puke