Which Draft Coverage Do You Prefer?

H2o

I used to watch ESPN all the time but now once you get past the 2nd round it’s nothing but commercials, roundtables, interviews etc. I want to see the analysis of every pick that’s why I watch the draft. 

I finally made the move to NFL Network because they still do that on Day 3. ESPN will only do that when a big name College QB gets taken in the 5th

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/20/2019 at 7:10 AM, H2o said:

For years I would pack in for two days at the house and watch the ESPN coverage back in the day. It was your only option. I liked Berman and Co. back then though. Now we have the NFL Network that covers the draft as well. I find myself flipping back and forth, usually when the commercials kick in. I actually like hearing some of McShay's insight once you get to the 2nd and 3rd Rounds on ESPN, but Kiper is ridiculous. I like Louis Riddick as well because the guy is pretty knowledgeable when it comes to breaking down prospects. I used to like hearing Mayock break guys down on NFL Network, but now he's off to Oakland. You're left with Eisen, Sanders, Faulk, and Davis. I'm really excited to watch the Game Day crew do the draft coverage this year on ABC. Love the College Game Day crew and the chemistry they have. That will be my choice this year. Whom do you prefer and why?

NFL Network yet with Mayock with the Raiders I have reservations now. But I still like Daniel Jeremiah and Charles Davis over Kiper and McShay. I'll probably DVR both but watch NFL Network live.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 2

Daniel Jeremiah is my preferred analyst, but draft coverage in general kind of stinks now.

Way too much time spent on interviewing the player just picked with limited analysis of the player and  practically zero attention paid to the team on the clock.

Used to be they'd talk about who was on the clock, their offseason approach, what players are on the board, and then get the pick. Then they'd analyze the pick in detail, show some tape breakdowns, and get a quick interview in before moving on to the team on the clock.

• Like (+1) 2

I used to  watch NFL network for  Mayock's analysis. Even when he was off he was always at least interesting and somewhat knowledgeable about what each teams true needs were going into the draft. I am going to try the draft network's live streaming draft coverage this year. All they do is cover the draft and their prospects year round so it may make interesting watching since I'm sure they will know more about these guys than most tv analysts.

• Like (+1) 1

I still like ESPN, they have the better overall coverage, although NFL Network had the better analyst in Mayock, but now he's gone.

I like Rich Eisen as a host, but when it comes to the draft he has no insight whatsoever. All Eisen does is state the incredibly obvious....."Sooooo, the Redskins are on the clock now......and they have 5 minutes to go until they pick..........who's it gonna be Mike?"

I love that ESPN brought in the College Gameday crew. Kirk Herbstreit did a very good job last year, and he looked like he was having fun.

I still love Mel Kiper, he's fun to listen to and I still think he's good at analyzing, yes his mock drafts are always wrong, but I don't care about that stuff. Give me the details of the player over that.

• Like (+1) 2

Not thrilled with either ESPN or NFL network, but preferred NFL network for Mayock's analysis without him though who knows how it will be.

The thing I find most disappointing is they talk about Buffalo's pick for 2 minutes and move on quickly, not enough Bills related coverage.

For a few years I've been listening to WGR to get more Bills related coverage while at Bills draft parties.

This year plan on watching at a Bills draft party and listening to some Bills draft coverage on youtube broadcast from 34Rush.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll be watching The Draft Network's Live Twitter Stream this year with the NFL Network on the TV...

Really looking forward to TDN's coverage though...Joe Marino will be on so you know the Bills will get some love...?

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Daniel Jeremiah is my preferred analyst, but draft coverage in general kind of stinks now.

Way too much time spent on interviewing the player just picked with limited analysis of the player and  practically zero attention paid to the team on the clock.

Used to be they'd talk about who was on the clock, their offseason approach, what players are on the board, and then get the pick. Then they'd analyze the pick in detail, show some tape breakdowns, and get a quick interview in before moving on to the team on the clock.

They used to be able to do that because teams had 15 minutes to make the pick.

Ever since they shortened the time, it's tougher to do.

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

They used to be able to do that because teams had 15 minutes to make the pick.

Ever since they shortened the time, it's tougher to do.

Well, if that were the case, wouldn't they also not have the time to interview the kid, get a photo with his family, screen print a jersey for him, show pics of his girlfriend, etc?

My issue is more with how they allocate the time that they do have 

• Like (+1) 1

I go back & forth and also have WGR on the computer.  A few years ago I put 2 TVs in my computer room and had both ESPN and the NFL Network on while also listening to WGR.  That's about my limit on multitasking.  

Back in the old days (in 1997) when ESPN had exclusive coverage I had to visit my parents (because they were having an anniversary party on that Sunday) on draft weekend and since they didn't have cable but lived a half hour from NYC I went to the draft on day 1 since it was my only way of seeing it.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

So ABC owns ESPN, but they are going to have competing coverage?  Why not just simulcast the ESPN coverage on ABC for the cord cutters.

On a related side note, I can't stand Eisen.  Maybe it's from his ESPN days when he thought he was so funny, but every time I see his face on the screen, I want to throw a brick through my TV.

I've professed my allegiance to ESPN's draft coverage, but I miss Berman.  The only time I will flip is when ESPN goes to commercial.  I love me some Kiper during the 3 day draft.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 2

Since U-Verse dropped NFLN, I’ll have one less channel to go to commercial as soon as the Bills pick comes in. That’s my glass half full. I’m trying pretty hard.....

I’ll check to see if I get NFLN on DTV before the draft, but that means changing the input, and I really shouldn’t have to do that. Who decided to take my NFLN? Are they having a spat with AT&T? 

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, if that were the case, wouldn't they also not have the time to interview the kid, get a photo with his family, screen print a jersey for him, show pics of his girlfriend, etc?

My issue is more with how they allocate the time that they do have 

Oh, I feel the same way. If they really wanted to focus on the team that's on the closk and what they did in the off season and what they need, they could do it.

But they want the spectacle to be more on the players that are drafted.

I did like Mayock on NFLN, but for the most part they are far too focused on the Pats and ex Pats as commentators. Mostly can’t stand the analysts / personalities on NFLN.I prefer ESPN and their analysts. Rich Eisen is good, but he’s former ESPN as well. 

• Like (+1) 1