Alpha Mock V2.0 - Top Ten and Bills picks over 4 rounds

8 hours ago, Augie said:

I was SO excited about Oliver, and I think it was all a bunch of silly draft hooey. I can’t see him getting to 9, or anywhere affordable. I feel like I will be “settling”, which is kind of sad. 

But then, it will be a few years before we really know who got it right. 

Honestly I would have no issue stealing Simmons. He is in the same zone talent wise as Oliver and Williams.  If someone messed with my mom, Id beat their *** too.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

I'm on board with you on the trading scenarios except it won't be the Dolphins, maybe Bengals?.  Your trade back into the 1st though with either Seattle at 21 or Baltimore at 22 could happen.  We'd just need to gain the extra capital to make that work.  I like DK in the teens, but I dunno if I like Burns or Wilkins more at 21, that is, IF Burns makes it that far.

Nahh I like Wilkins more.  I thought he'd come out last year and had him pegged to us with one of the 1st's.

Edited by NewEraBills

9 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Agree.  When was the last time a draft day trade within the Division to get one team a franchise QB?  I suspect never and this will not be the first.

The Bills gave up a next years 1st round pick to the Patriots to be able to draft Losman.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I was SO excited about Oliver, and I think it was all a bunch of silly draft hooey. I can’t see him getting to 9, or anywhere affordable. I feel like I will be “settling”, which is kind of sad. 

But then, it will be a few years before we really know who got it right. 

Me too Augie,   I really thought there was a chance we’d land Oliver.  That’s starting to sound like a fantasy at this point,

regarding all these trade threads, good luck,

bryce love in the 4th?  No thanks.  Broken midget rbs 

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Honestly I would have no issue stealing Simmons. He is in the same zone talent wise as Oliver and Williams.  If someone messed with my mom, Id beat their *** too.

Take him in the first and you still get 5 years out of him, even if he has to basically redshirt the first year to get healthy. A lot of options out there! 

i think a more likely scenario is dropping one spot and picking up a 3rd from denver. i think denver would gladly do that to keep another team from jumping up and grabbing lock.

it's also a safe move for beane who can get montez sweat (assuming oliver is gone).

he can then have some options, ie.  trading 40 and 2020 2nd to move up a little for a dt....tillery/simmons/wilkins/lawrence etc.

he then will have the option of having an extra 3rd and 4th to get back into the 2nd for irv smith?

the 3rd and 4th he can go bpa as well as using rds. 5 thru 7 to move up.

i'm in the camp of believing he will get a dt and edge high.  everything so far that he's done just seems to funnel in that direction. i think next year will be the year where we go all in on a couple of superstars.  they could use this year to let all the free agents and draft picks shake and settle with the hopes of making the playoffs and next year get the guys to put us over the top.

10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

So still with the Zay Jones trade?

You will be a certified Board Genius if that still comes off on draft day..

I hate the trade back up to 21 for all that capital..

He has a reputation to uphold. Can’t go back now.

I’m not a big fan of DK, but if Beane’s in, I’m in.

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

The Bills gave up a next years 1st round pick to the Patriots to be able to draft Losman.

I billieve it was with Dallas. We gave a 1st for Bledsoe to the Pats*.

In all due respect, I stopped reading when I saw trade with Dolphins.

We aren’t trading with a divisional rival and the Fish have made it known they are tanking for next years QB class.

I would love those selections though.

Simmons is a beast too.

I would love him here.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, the skycap said:

I like Alpha!! I just don't see them trading back up for Irv Smith. I can see them trading Zay Jones though. I think they will use pick #48 on Miles Sanders(Pegula's pick). I think they covet Trevon Wesco and will ***** late with #137. Wesco was All Big 12 1st team. He's 6'3" 267 and ran 4.89 40. He's a great blocker in the run and pass game. Good receiver with run after catch ability. He's my sleeper pick in the draft. So I'm looking at Metcalf, Wilkins, Sanders and Wesco. With the Zay trade they get Zach Allen, EDGE, from BC

Why did you think the Bills covet Wesco, did you  hear or read something value him more than other teams?   He seems like a tough kid with decent hands.   But he has very limited experience in passing game and limited route tree.   Basically 1 year in the passing game and most of his catches were on 2 routes.    #137 seems too early to take Wesco.

10 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

Why did you think the Bills covet Wesco, did you  hear or read something value him more than other teams?   He seems like a tough kid with decent hands.   But he has very limited experience in passing game and limited route tree.   Basically 1 year in the passing game and most of his catches were on 2 routes.    #137 seems too early to take Wesco.

He was a pre draft visitor and he seems like a "process" type of guy. Hard worker, tough. He won the combine

Edited by the skycap

33 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i think a more likely scenario is dropping one spot and picking up a 3rd from denver. i think denver would gladly do that to keep another team from jumping up and grabbing lock.

it's also a safe move for beane who can get montez sweat (assuming oliver is gone).

he can then have some options, ie.  trading 40 and 2020 2nd to move up a little for a dt....tillery/simmons/wilkins/lawrence etc.

he then will have the option of having an extra 3rd and 4th to get back into the 2nd for irv smith?

the 3rd and 4th he can go bpa as well as using rds. 5 thru 7 to move up.

i'm in the camp of believing he will get a dt and edge high.  everything so far that he's done just seems to funnel in that direction. i think next year will be the year where we go all in on a couple of superstars.  they could use this year to let all the free agents and draft picks shake and settle with the hopes of making the playoffs and next year get the guys to put us over the top.

I really like this and I have suggested such a move as well, although I don't think the Bills can get a straight, stand alone 3rd (#71?) but maybe have to surrender one of theirs in the 4th in the deal.  One goal would be to get more picks in the top 100 and this helps.  The bigger goal is to convert day 3 picks into meaningful roster assets and fewer 2019 bodies.   Getting the same guy at #10 as they would at #9 is a great selling point to such a deal and Sweat would be ok with me if his medicals check.  If the Broncos like Haskins or Locke, then it makes sense for Elway to pull the trigger ont the cheap and try to quiet the mob of their fans upset with his post Manning QB moves.

Now, if there are 3 to 6 players the Bills feel are of equal value, then trading to 13, 15 or 17 makes sense and would help their roster build even more, just as Alpha suggests.  With 5 in the top 100 (an edge has to be in the top 50, imo) they could get something like:

DT or DE (Sweat, Oliver, Burns, Wilkens) // WR (Butler, Harry, or which other flavor they like) or DL again if one fell //  TE (Warring, Oliver, Sternberger // RB (Montgomery, Sanders, Harris, or whoever they think is best available and a likely consensus top 5) and DL (Saunders, Wren with whom they have been connected.)   If their is an OT they like at any of these spots, that would be great too.

Five picks in the top 100 gives them a real shot  at 5 players who can upgrade their 2019 roster.  Now convert other day 3 picks to franchise assets like 2020 picks, a talented player that is an IR candidate (like a RB such as Bryce Love, as Alpha suggested) and a top punter like Mitch Wisnowski (an athletic former Aussie rules player with great directional kicking ability) who gives them a 3rd chance to better their ST from last year.    

Next year it's likely they will need to replace Gore and McCoy and it makes sense to get them on the team this year if the price is right.

7 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Lock will be the best QB in the draft so i wouldn't like him going to Miami.

And trading with Denver might keep Miami's preferred QB from them which would be ok too.

11 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Top 5 picks... no particular order

DT- Jordan Phillips 1 year deal. 

DE- Shaq? Hughes getting older, Murphy after this year? Probably not.

RB- Shady & Gore 1 year 

OLB- Lorax replacement. 

TE/OT- I’d say OT more than TE but I’d think they will draft a TE before.

Oliver

Wilkins

Tillery

Burns

Ferguson

Jacobs

Hockenson

Fant

Williams

Taylor

Bills will draft 2 of these guys in the first round. I’m thinking 10 picks. It’s gotta be quality over quantity. 

This makes sense to me altough I'd put a big X-WR ahead of olb.

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Below is my Bills Mock V2 and also my overall mock from picks 1-8 to get to our pick.  I have us doing a trade, so then mocked it to where I think we will be picking.  Im only going to mock our picks to round 4, pretty pointless after that.  

DISCLOSURE:  Mocks are pretty pointless overall, so this is more of a "What would I do" if I was Beane based on what we know about Beane.  I do believe this is all feasible and makes sense, but its a hard year to predict anything and even harder to accurately predict trades.  So gonna have fun with it.  

Honestly, this year is one of the hardest in recent memory to mock the top 10.  There are no "obvious" choices outside of Murray really.  Everyone at every spot after AZ could go multiple directions with no clear cut obvious choice really, mainly because its hard to predict who is on the board still.  Normally you have a pretty good feel for the top 5, but not this year.  Will be a fun draft IMO for this reason.  

1. AZ:  Kyler Murray - Until I hear something otherwise, this seems like the only real sure bet right now.
  2. SF:  Quennin Williams - 4 first round DE's on the roster, including an expensive Dee Ford.  DT helps them more and makes more sense than Bosa IMO.  
  3. NYJ:  Nick Bosa - Talk of Oliver love here, but if Bosa gets past SF I think he is the pick.
  4. OAK:  Josh Allen - They desperately need pass rush and Allen is chosen to do just that.
  5. TB:  Devin White - Could be Oliver with McCoy trade talk, but they also need to replace Kwon.  Until I see McCoy is really on the move, I am going White here.
  6. NYG:  Ed Oliver - One would think it could be Haskins here, but all the talk is that Gettleman wants D here and Ed Oliver is BPA on DL.
  7. JAX:  Jawaan Taylor - The only way Foles can succeed is with pass protection.  JAX PassPro sucks, so I think they take the local boy to try and build up the line to protect Foles
  8. DET:  Rashaan Gary - They need to replace Ansah, so they could also go Sweat here.  But Gary has more versatility along the line.  
  9. MIA: TRADE (BUF) - Drew Lock - Miami trades to get ahead of Broncos to get Lock (TRADE:  Bills trade #9 to Miami for #13 and #48) 
  10. DEN:  TJ Hockenson - Could also be Devin Bush, but Flacco has always used his TE's and Hockenson is a complete TE who helps block too after some OL losses
  11. CIN:  Montez Sweat - Popular pick here is a QB and Dwayne Haskins is on the board.  But I think they want to see what new regime can do with Andy first and will jump at taking Sweat
  12. GB:  Devin Bush - LB is a big need, but could also see them go Jonah Williams or Andre Dillard to help keep Aaron healthy
  13. BUF:  We are on the clock!  

I just have a feeling someone like Miami is going to try and get in front of some of the teams who may go QB.

At 13 now, I can see several guys who are there in this mock and who could be there depending on how the draft fell.  On my board, guys like Jonah or Dillard are there along with DT Wilkins and WR DK Metcalf.  However, could also see TJ falling to us at 13 or even Montez Sweat slipping to us too.  But drafting obviously here on how this mock fell...

Buffalo' draft picks through 5 rounds:  #13 #40, #48, #74, #112, #131, #147, #158 

#13 BUF: DK Metcalf - Beane goes and gets this years freakishly high ceiling athlete (like Allen and Edmunds last year) to be a major weapon for Josh.  

TRADE ALERT - Bills trade up back into the first with Seattle.  Bills get #21 and Seattle gets #40, #74, and #112 - Seattle wants more picks...we trade with them but not for Clark.

#21 - BUF:  Christian Wilkins (or maybe Simmons) - They get their DT here...now this could also be a place to get a TE like say Noah, but I think DT value will be too big to pass up and a TE can be had next...as you will see... 

TRADE ALERT - Buffalo trades up again with NYG - Bills get #37 and Giants get #48, #181, and Zay Jones

#37 - BUF:  Irv Smith - After getting their DT in round 1 trade up, they go after another weapon for Josh in Irv Smith

#137 - BUF:  Bryce Love - If Singletary is here, he would be the pick over Love I believe.  Could also be Henderson...either way I suspect there will be an interesting RB lingering around here. 

Final tally:  Bills get Metcalf, Wilkins, Irv, and Love in rounds 1-4.  I would love this draft.  

I honestly could mock our picks very differently using the same trades and love those outcomes too.  Maybe they take Hock at 13, the DT at 21 still, and N'Keal Harry at 37 for example.  Or they could even go Wilkins at 13, Fant at 21 and Harry at 37...or Harry at 21 and Irv at 37.  They could also go Sweat or Burns at 13 too.  Either way, I think our first 3 picks could be WR, DT/EDGE, and TE in some order if our picks were 13, 21 and 37 after these trades.

NOTE:  I also would not be surprised if after the trade down if we used one of our second rounders to trade for Clowney.  

Feel free to tear it apart, really isn't going to be any right or wrong opinions, its just a dumb mock lol.  Thanks for reading if you got this far, cheers :)

My guess is that we move up to #6 to get Oliver, and Giants get Metcalf at #9.  We throw in a 3rd.

Alpha, I like the moves but not the players as much.  Irv Smith is small and unathletic compared to the rest of the TE talent.  That's not top 50 worthy, imo.  It bothers me that AJ Brown outplayed Metcalf at the college level, in the same offense.  Wilkens and Love could be good additions at the right price.

• Like (+1) 1