Can the Bills wait past the 3rd Rd for a RB ?

PUNT750

14 hours ago, mrags said:

He’s also the fastest RB in the group. Dudes pretty damn good.  Could have broken 2,000 yards in a season but sat out the final game to be bowl game ready (I think). 

To the OP, there’s really no real way to tell until the draft starts fling. Like someone else said, there could be a run. Or you may not see many real RBs go until the late 2nd to 4th

many here really like Miles Sanders from Penn State. The Pegula connection cannot be ignored imo. They had him in for a visit as well. He’s probably in their top 3 for backs. 

Darrell Henderson from Memphis. As mentioned above. The kid is fast and has some serious skills. 

David Montgomery Out if Iowa State. Big and solid. Has all the tools to be a solid RB in the league. Not super fast. 

Elijah Holyfield out of Georgia. Evander’s kid. Could be something special. Big. Fast. Physical.any here don’t believe he will even be drafted but he will. Probably round 3-5. 

LJ Scott from Michigan State. My favorite sleeper pick. This kid has everything. Speed. Size. The ability to be a really good RB in this league. Similar with Holyfield, people here will say he won’t even be drafted. Had an injury his last year and apparently he’s less than ideal as far as off the field. But on the field this kid can get it all done. Most like after round 5 because of his issues. Worth a shot imo. 

A few others. Myles Gaskin. Bryce Love. Dexter Williams. Devin Singletary. Justice Hill. 

And my deep, deep, deep sleeper...

Jacques Patrick out of Florida State. 6’3”, 232lbs. 4.58 40 yard dash. This kid reminds me of Derrick Henry. Big beefy kid with good movement. Would be a monster imo. Could be had in the 6th or later most likely. 

I think the 2020 roster needs 2 new RBs so get them on the roster this year.  Maybe Love gets stashed on IR and shows up in 2020 ready to go and is had pretty cheaply on day 3.  I really like Montgomery's style.  The OP mentioned a break-a-way threat.  I want a break-a-tackle threat that has all-around ability and can move the chains.  More James Conner than LeSean McCoy.

In a baseball analogy, I see the running game as being the tablesetter and the passing game being the homerun hitters.  A running game that moves the chains gives the team more chances for other guys to make big plays.  PFF said Montgomery set some kind of record with 100+ broken tackles and that's good enough for me.  That's some tough running.  Only 3 fumbles in nearly 700 touches is pretty dependable too.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I think the 2020 roster needs 2 new RBs so get them on the roster this year.  Maybe Love gets stashed on IR and shows up in 2020 ready to go and is had pretty cheaply on day 3.  I really like Montgomery's style.  The OP mentioned a break-a-way threat.  I want a break-a-tackle threat that has all-around ability and can move the chains.  More James Conner than LeSean McCoy.

In a baseball analogy, I see the running game as being the tablesetter and the passing game being the homerun hitters.  A running game that moves the chains gives the team more chances for other guys to make big plays.  PFF said Montgomery set some kind of record with 100+ broken tackles and that's good enough for me.  That's some tough running.  Only 3 fumbles in nearly 700 touches is pretty dependable too.

I’ll have to watch some more of Montgomery. I’ll admit that. But I like LJ Scott for the same reasons. The kid is going to be good imo. I hope we take him. Even if it means using a 2nd RB draft pick on him. I want him. I’d use a 3rd RB draft kick to get him and Jacaues Patrick. I really love this kid too. Give me these 2 and I’d be happy with RB in the draft. But I think they go with one of the early rounders first and likely won’t take any late rounders. I see them going Sanders more than anyone. I like him but probably not my favorite. Henderson has that home run threat in the run game. Not sure if he’s sized to be an every down back tho. Doesn’t look too small but on paper he is pretty small.  

12 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

There is no Barkley in this draft. Wait till rds 4-5-6 if you have to. There is no urgent need for one, unless the geriatrics get hurt in training camp and that won’t be known next week.

I think you inadvertently summed up why we must draft a RB. It doesn’t need to be in an early round, but it must happen at some point. Everyone is worried about Shady and Gore’s ability to produce. They are both veterans who know how to run. I’m not concerned with a lack of production from those guys. I am concerned about injuries. Why should we believe that Shady will last the entire year? The guy has already struggled with injuries the past few years. When one of those guys goes down,  you can’t expect the other 30 -something back to pick up the load. We need a young guy who can do that. It’s really not a question if McCoy and/or Gore get hurt, but more of a question as to when. Plans should be made accordingly. 

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't love this running back class. I don't think it is as strong as previous years. I love the Penn State kid and he is my clear #1. I doubt he lasts past the end of round 2.... but overall I think the 4th round is about the sweet spot for backs in this class. That said, what we have seen over recent drafts is when a run on backs starts teams get a bit fidgety. If that run starts at the end of round 2 say, then it is possible the Bills would need to consider using a third round pick. 

Miles Sanders all day long. He has a lot of tread left on his tires and he can catch the ball too. 

On 4/20/2019 at 12:35 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

Look I don't trust Beane.

But for those who do, he kept Shady and added 5 new offensive lineman and a good blocking TE. The draft hasn't even happened yet where he may add another OT.

His actions suggest he believes in Shady.

Shady will rush for 1100

What, with your wallet? What does this statement even mean?

I think Gore is best used from the 1 yard line to the 25 yard line (when our offence is backed up) and in the red zone.

McCoy as the primary back and somebody should be chosen on day 3 to be the high usage backup.

As a bigger back I think Ozigbo from Nebraska is of interest. Happy with either of Henderson/Montgomery.

Think that a tackle breaking, chain moving running back is what is needed.

• Like (+1) 1

The answer to the question is yes, they can wait.  But, if there is a guy they really like as an all around, do it all kind of player they might need to take him in the 3rd from what I have seen in most rankings.  I have seen David Miontgomery, the RB I favor, anywhere between 40 and 90 on most of the bigboards I have seen by the semiprofessional NFL Draft aficionados.  I think RB is a pretty big need for 2019 and especially starting in 2020.  I hope they are serious about getting someone they think can be special.

On 4/20/2019 at 3:32 AM, GunnerBill said:

I don't love this running back class. I don't think it is as strong as previous years. I love the Penn State kid and he is my clear #1. I doubt he lasts past the end of round 2.... but overall I think the 4th round is about the sweet spot for backs in this class. That said, what we have seen over recent drafts is when a run on backs starts teams get a bit fidgety. If that run starts at the end of round 2 say, then it is possible the Bills would need to consider using a third round pick. 

Doesn’t he have a sky high fumble rate though. Any concerns on that. Thanks for your analysis btw