Can the Bills wait past the 3rd Rd for a RB ?

PUNT750

36 minutes ago, mrags said:

He’s also the fastest RB in the group. Dudes pretty damn good.  Could have broken 2,000 yards in a season but sat out the final game to be bowl game ready (I think). 

To the OP, there’s really no real way to tell until the draft starts fling. Like someone else said, there could be a run. Or you may not see many real RBs go until the late 2nd to 4th

many here really like Miles Sanders from Penn State. The Pegula connection cannot be ignored imo. They had him in for a visit as well. He’s probably in their top 3 for backs. 

Darrell Henderson from Memphis. As mentioned above. The kid is fast and has some serious skills. 

David Montgomery Out if Iowa State. Big and solid. Has all the tools to be a solid RB in the league. Not super fast. 

Elijah Holyfield out of Georgia. Evander’s kid. Could be something special. Big. Fast. Physical.any here don’t believe he will even be drafted but he will. Probably round 3-5. 

LJ Scott from Michigan State. My favorite sleeper pick. This kid has everything. Speed. Size. The ability to be a really good RB in this league. Similar with Holyfield, people here will say he won’t even be drafted. Had an injury his last year and apparently he’s less than ideal as far as off the field. But on the field this kid can get it all done. Most like after round 5 because of his issues. Worth a shot imo. 

A few others. Myles Gaskin. Bryce Love. Dexter Williams. Devin Singletary. Justice Hill. 

And my deep, deep, deep sleeper...

Jacques Patrick out of Florida State. 6’3”, 232lbs. 4.58 40 yard dash. This kid reminds me of Derrick Henry. Big beefy kid with good movement. Would be a monster imo. Could be had in the 6th or later most likely. 

Pegula connection can't be ignored!! He'll be the 3rd rd pick. Gore is here not only to backup Shady.

1 minute ago, the skycap said:

Pegula connection can't be ignored!! He'll be the 3rd rd pick. Gore is here not only to backup Shady.

I’d really like Henderson first and then another RB with some more size. If Sanders is there into the late 3rd, then more back up to take 2 RBs in a row. If not, go with one of the others I listed. Everyone here knows my love for LJ Scott and Patrick. I’d take all 3 this draft 

If they don't plan on drafting one this year Spencer Ware is still available I think. 

If they do draft one in the 3rd or 4th I like Sanders, Henderson, Weber and Love. Sanders might go in the 2nd or early third I think, Weber and Love are most likely to be there in the 4th I think.

I don't love this running back class. I don't think it is as strong as previous years. I love the Penn State kid and he is my clear #1. I doubt he lasts past the end of round 2.... but overall I think the 4th round is about the sweet spot for backs in this class. That said, what we have seen over recent drafts is when a run on backs starts teams get a bit fidgety. If that run starts at the end of round 2 say, then it is possible the Bills would need to consider using a third round pick. 

This team has not drafted a RB since Jonathan Williams.  It’s a need.  I think they take one in the fourth and maybe the 7th, as well.  I could also see packaging both fourths and moving up for a RB in the third if someone they really like slides.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, mannc said:

This team has not drafted a RB since Jonathan Williams.  It’s a need.  I think they take one in the fourth and maybe the 7th, as well.  I could also see packaging both fourths and moving up for a RB in the third if someone they really like slides.

I’d be fine with this and I agree it certainly is, while not pressing, a need at this point.

22 minutes ago, mannc said:

They need a young rb and I think moving up back into 3rd could be great spot to get one. I would like to move back a little in the 1st for another 2nd and then move up for specific targets with the later picks.

Just now, JoPar_v2 said:

I’d be fine with this and I agree it certainly is, while not pressing, a need at this point.

Rookie RBs also tend to be used on special teams, which is another need that Gore and Shady won’t fill.

• Like (+1) 1

There are a lot of high ceiling low floor running backs available in the 4th round and later.  Running backs are like WR and TE. They don't have to be all-around players, able to do all things well.  If you want to specify their skill set as 5 skills, they only have to do 2 or 3 well in order to be a valuable part-time player.   You can substitue them in quickly, with a lot of rest and the defense still has to respect their top 2-3 options.  They are not fatigued, have fresh legs and can just practice and get near perfect with a very limited set of scripted plays.   Bellycheck retreads players this way.  You can use a newbie to do the same.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

7 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Everyone seems to ignore this need.  No sense chronicling the age of our current backs or the reality of ham string pulls, sprained ankles or the rest. We need a young back with break-away speed to change the pace.  WHO after Round #3 ?  

Come on, Punt, you know they can.

They will draft one next weekend, but truthfully they can even wait until next year.  You just plain don’t need to prep RBs in the nfl like you do other positions.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

4 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Come on, Punt, you they can.

They will draft one next weekend, but truthfully they can even wait until next year.  You just plain don’t need to prep RBs in the nfl like you do other positions.

That is true. Running backs and wide receivers do not have to think a great deal- it is mostly instinct and moves that happen immediately.  A linebacker or safety has to recognize the offensives options, disguised plays formations and tendancies.

Fix your offensive line and passing game first.  Running backs in teams that have good lines and spread the ball around effectively don't need to be highly paid superstars to be successful.  

Also it's a high risk injury position so putting too much investment in one player here usually doesn't pan out.

Third, look at the recent history of the league.  When was the last time you saw a feature rb dominant team win the Super bowl? 

Several cheaper rbs behind a strong line is a better strategy than trying to find the next great one.