Daniel Jeremiah: "Bills more than open to trading back"

9 hours ago, CommonCents said:

I still love my scenario, trade down with GB at 30 for an extra 2nd and 3rd. Risner, Butler Sanders, Tillery. 

like others have said, we need top talent on this team....superstar players...we signed some decent vets that will help but we need top players...not more later round picks...I would prefer an extra 1st and 2nd rounder

9 hours ago, mrags said:

It’s not about accumulating more picks by trading back for MORE players. It’s essentially for less players. They accumulate more picks in rounds 2 through 4 by trading back into the teens. Then they package their multiple picks to get back into the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for players that have a shot at becoming something. 

I think that is what the poster is saying also.

I really want one of the difference makers at DT...it's by far the Bills' greatest need at this point and the talent is there to fit the BPA analysis.  Hard to envision them trading themselves out of the ability to get one of these guys...UNLESS they have a higher grade than the "experts" on another DT...

There's only one QB in his top 15 (Murray, who is at 11. Dillard, Taylor, Fant, Sweat are at the end of that group. 

Given all of the rumors floating around, I think the odds are increasing for a guy like Wilkins going to Bills, also in his top 10.

10 hours ago, CommonCents said:

I still love my scenario, trade down with GB at 30 for an extra 2nd and 3rd. Risner, Butler Sanders, Tillery. 

Dropping down 21 spots better start with their 2nd and 3rd this year and 1st next year.  Otherwise that’s the worst trade I’ve ever seen.  

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/04/2019-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-more-than-open-to-trading-back-says-daniel-jeremiah.html

This is what I have been saying most the offseason, that I still think the Bills trade down from 9 if the right offer is there.  As we sit today, I think there could be a really good shot to trade with Miami so they can get the QB they want (Haskins or Lock) before teams like Den, Cin or Was (in a move up) can grab one.  I am working on my latest mock too and the way I see the top 8 going, I think the trade down becomes the move.  Below is small section of the article:

Why would the Bills be willing to move down? According to Jeremiah, there are 15 to 16 top guys in the draft. Here is what Jeremiah said in a conference call with the media on Thursday.

“You kind of look at it from a 30,000-foot view here, I think that there’s 15 to 16 players that everybody in the league kind of agrees are the top guys, and then after that once you get to 17, 18, all the way to 50 or 60, they’re in all different order there.”  

Buffalo could make a slight drop down from No. 9 and still land one of the best prospects in the class while also adding addition picks to select players from the second tier of available prospects.

I thought they were trading up to 3 to get Ed Oliver?

i can’t keep up. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, mrags said:

It’s not about accumulating more picks by trading back for MORE players. It’s essentially for less players. They accumulate more picks in rounds 2 through 4 by trading back into the teens. Then they package their multiple picks to get back into the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for players that have a shot at becoming something. 

Yeah, that is what I was trying to say as well. If we trade down, that's not 'the move', it's part of a larger system of moves to get more quality picks, and not to select a bunch of 4-7 rounders. We need top talent, and have plenty of 'competition depth' vet signings that will fill that role where late rounders can usually carve out a niche. Without that niche available, it's almost like there is no point in getting late rounders. IMO of course.

But if I was in that case I would also be looking to pick up capital in 2020. You always get better picks a year out and beane likes having extra capital to slide up and down the board. Why not slide back a little, likely get the same player you wanted at 9, and set yourself up for a good draft next year at the same time. Certainly fits 'the bill' of building for 'now and for the future'.

38 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I think that is what the poster is saying also.

Good call. ?

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think we should just stand our ground at 9....unless the group we really like are not on the board

I’d stand our ground at 9 if an elite player is there.  Bosa, quinnen, Allen, Oliver or White.  If they’re gone, I’d rather trade down.

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why though?  Miami is in total rebuild mode, they are so far off from being a threat.  We have nothing to fear on a trade back with them.  It arguably helps the Bills a lot more than the Dolphins.  They are the ones losing picks, we likely still get the player we wanted plus the extra picks.  

You very seldom see a GM help a team within their division crawl out of a hole. If you can prevent them from getting the future QB they desire, it is even better.  Usually you see them put the proverbial boot on their throat and step down hard on a variety of personnel moves.  Recent examples are Belicheat signing Hogan and Gillisliee away from the Bills or the Bills signing Clay away from Miami.  It's not about Miami not being a threat this year.  If you can keep Miami in rebuild mode for a longer period of time, it will be a greater benefit.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the Bills' guy is Ed Oliver. I believe they would consider going up 2 or 3 spots to get him too. But if they can't find a deal that works to do that and he is gone at #9 then a trade back is very possible. 

The one I have thought most likely all offseason? Back to 16 with the Panthers who have a major need at edge rusher and if Gary or Sweat are there (or maybe even for Ferrell who although he has dropped down some boards is still a really good player who fits Carolina's scheme). 

Maybe it is something like the Bills get #16 and #47; Panthers get #9 and #147. 

EDIT: I still don't believe trades up into the top 10 are going to happen for these Quarterbacks unless Arizona have been playing us all along and are not taking Murray. In which case I believe the Raiders would jump from #4 to #2 or #3 to avoid being leapfrogged by a team further back. 

I think the last time I bothered to take a stance on who the guy the Bills actually "wanted" would have been Eric Steinbach........it was THAT obvious of a pick in a weak draft..........but they regrettably passed on him to overload their backfield with Willis McGahee.    This after previously over-thinking the Bryant McKinnie pick to outsmart the experts with the Mike Williams selection.   Oh Donahoe.  That was the last straw for my 15 years of tryna read the Bills mind.:lol:   

But the image of McDermott being so involved in Ed Oliver's pro day definitely sticks.   His interest seemed piqued.   When you combine that with the unlikelihood that better prospects/values like Bosa or Quinnen Williams would be on the board in the 6-10 range it would be easy to see how they may have focused a lot more on Oliver.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

Or Jonah, or Fant or Burns.

Maybe, but lower in the draft Metcalf's physical ability and potential at his position is more elite than any of those players. And looking at Beane's first draft, in the first round he bet on players who were raw, but athletic, physical freaks of nature with potential to dominate at their positions.  

Ed Oliver fits that profile too, although he is not raw and has a history of production which is why I believe Beane would grab Oliver at 9, but not Metcalf.   But lower in round 1?  Hard to pass on Metcalf's potential.

Edited by purple haze

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Good point. But we handed Mahomes to KC on a silver platter..

KC is not in the Bills division and he was not that highly regarded coming out of college.  He landed on a great offensive roster and has flourished with all of that support.  I doubt that he would have been the league MVP playing with the 2018 Bills.  During the 2017 draft, the Bills had a terrible roster with too many holes.  They were headed to cap hell. The smart play was to trade down, get extra picks, fill some holes, and not draft a QB at that time.  They would have just squandered two years of the QB's rookie contract on a terrible team. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I think a swap of 9 and 40 for 12 and 30 with some value picks balancing the trade out is equally likely. We have a young team and I’m sure Beane would love to get two players with a fifth year option. 

This would be great especially if we can get Hock at 12. Then turn around and take Simmons if he makes it to 30 if not take Tillery .

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think the last time I bothered to take a stance on who the guy the Bills actually "wanted" would have been Eric Steinbach........it was THAT obvious of a pick in a weak draft..........but they regrettably passed on him to overload their backfield with Willis McGahee.    This after previously over-thinking the Bryant McKinnie pick to outsmart the experts with the Mike Williams selection.   Oh Donahoe.  That was the last straw for my 15 years of tryna read the Bills mind.:lol:   

But the image of McDermott being so involved in Ed Oliver's pro day definitely sticks.   His interest seemed piqued.   When you combine that with the unlikelihood that better prospects/values like Bosa or Quinnen Williams would be on the board in the 6-10 range it would be easy to see how they may have focused a lot more on Oliver.

Yes, he was very focused on that 3-cone drill.  He almost became McDoormat because he was so up close and personal.  That scene did look meaningful.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

KC is not in the Bills division and he was not that highly regarded coming out of college.  He landed on a great offensive roster and has flourished with all of that support.  I doubt that he would have been the league MVP playing with the 2018 Bills.  During the 2017 draft, the Bills had a terrible roster with too many holes.  They were headed to cap hell. The smart play was to trade down, get extra picks, fill some holes, and not draft a QB at that time.  They would have just squandered two years of the QB's rookie contract on a terrible team. 

Did you not see the Bills play and silence the Chiefs offense at Arrowhead in late 2017?

Coming off the worst 3 game defensive stretch in Bills team history?

They were offensively inept that day despite having Travis Kelce,  Tyreek Hill and Kareem Hunt in the lineup.    Alex Smith isn't a great QB but he's not a complete chump either.

Andy Reid has this rep as an offensive genius on this board but he's actually never been, really.    He's just been a good HC who happens to specialize more on offense.  

He got MUCH SMARTER once Mahomes appeared in the starting lineup though.

MAKE NO MISTAKE........Mahomes is GREAT..........and if you don't think he'd have looked outstanding in Buffalo then you must think the entire coaching staff is utterly incompetent.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1