Daniel Jeremiah: "Bills more than open to trading back"

There are plenty of teams that are open to trading down, the Jets, Lions and Bills have pretty much came right out and said it.

The Raiders have a ton of holes and could use even more picks, Tamp Bay traded back last year and would likely be open to doing so again.

The real question is how many teams are looking to trade up in the draft, that's a shorter list.

Bills won't trade no farther than Cincy. I believe they want Metcalf to help Josh Allen and to be his WR for the foreseeable future. Cincy will want to get before Denver and draft their QB. Bills won't go after GB because they will ***** Metcalf. Bills will trade Zay Jones during/before draft.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/04/2019-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-more-than-open-to-trading-back-says-daniel-jeremiah.html

This is what I have been saying most the offseason, that I still think the Bills trade down from 9 if the right offer is there.  As we sit today, I think there could be a really good shot to trade with Miami so they can get the QB they want (Haskins or Lock) before teams like Den, Cin or Was (in a move up) can grab one.  I am working on my latest mock too and the way I see the top 8 going, I think the trade down becomes the move.  Below is small section of the article:

Why would the Bills be willing to move down? According to Jeremiah, there are 15 to 16 top guys in the draft. Here is what Jeremiah said in a conference call with the media on Thursday.

“You kind of look at it from a 30,000-foot view here, I think that there’s 15 to 16 players that everybody in the league kind of agrees are the top guys, and then after that once you get to 17, 18, all the way to 50 or 60, they’re in all different order there.”  

Buffalo could make a slight drop down from No. 9 and still land one of the best prospects in the class while also adding addition picks to select players from the second tier of available prospects.

If they trade back they're grabbing Metcalf.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CommonCents said:

I still love my scenario, trade down with GB at 30 for an extra 2nd and 3rd. Risner, Butler Sanders, Tillery. 

I think a swap of 9 and 40 for 12 and 30 with some value picks balancing the trade out is equally likely. We have a young team and I’m sure Beane would love to get two players with a fifth year option. 

4 hours ago, CommonCents said:

I still love my scenario, trade down with GB at 30 for an extra 2nd and 3rd. Risner, Butler Sanders, Tillery. 

GB's 2nd and 3rd is not nearly enough compensation to move from 9 to 30. That would be a terrible trade.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yup, but of all the teams "interested" in a trade back, its pretty easy to argue the Bills are in the best position to make it happen.  Going up to the Niners, Jets, Raiders, Giants picks will be very costly.  And with a defensive heavy top 10, odds are looking good QB's will slide to 9 and then boom, that becomes a prime trade up spot.  

I highly doubt the Jets will find a taker for the 3rd pick for instance.  What QB is worth that given they are just as likely to fall to 9?  So I really feel like we are in a very good spot for this type of move this year.  We could go back to say #13 with Miami, still get the guy we want at 9 and pickup #48 in the 2nd.  Then move back up into the first to get another coveted player by trading #40 and either our 3rd or one something like a 4th and a 5th (just depends how high we go up from 40 really).  We then have 2 firsts and a 2nd still.  

I’m pretty sure Miami would try to make a deal with Detroit at 8 , 

I’m not sure if McBean would even make a trade with Miami/division rival  ESPECIALLY if it’s for a  QB , 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

GB's 2nd and 3rd is not nearly enough compensation to move from 9 to 30. That would be a terrible trade.

Not enough QBs to get overpaid for a move down. Sure, they could haggle for a 4th rounder or so. It’s not so much the specifics of the trade, it’s the quality of players available in that range, that’s what I was trying to show. 

I think all 4 of those guys have a fair chance at being top 10 at their respective positions. 

8 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Not enough QBs to get overpaid for a move down. Sure, they could haggle for a 4th rounder or so. It’s not so much the specifics of the trade, it’s the quality of players available in that range, that’s what I was trying to show. 

I think all 4 of those guys have a fair chance at being top 10 at their respective positions. 

I like the players, just not the trade. I want them to trade back and get another 2nd rndr, but not that far. If they go back that far they would need more compensation, maybe a player they covet thrown in.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, AustinDan said:

There are plenty of teams that are open to trading down, the Jets, Lions and Bills have pretty much came right out and said it.

The Raiders have a ton of holes and could use even more picks, Tamp Bay traded back last year and would likely be open to doing so again.

The real question is how many teams are looking to trade up in the draft, that's a shorter list.

How do have an average of almost 1 post every 3 years ?

I think the Bills' guy is Ed Oliver. I believe they would consider going up 2 or 3 spots to get him too. But if they can't find a deal that works to do that and he is gone at #9 then a trade back is very possible. 

The one I have thought most likely all offseason? Back to 16 with the Panthers who have a major need at edge rusher and if Gary or Sweat are there (or maybe even for Ferrell who although he has dropped down some boards is still a really good player who fits Carolina's scheme). 

Maybe it is something like the Bills get #16 and #47; Panthers get #9 and #147. 

EDIT: I still don't believe trades up into the top 10 are going to happen for these Quarterbacks unless Arizona have been playing us all along and are not taking Murray. In which case I believe the Raiders would jump from #4 to #2 or #3 to avoid being leapfrogged by a team further back. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I doubt that Beane would trade down with a division rival (Miami ) unless he could really exact an outrageous price.  There are so many moving pieces with the draft, predicting the Bills moves are nothing more than a guess.  Not even an educated guess, at that.

Good point. But we handed Mahomes to KC on a silver platter..

8 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Need their 4th as well to trade that far back from #9... maybe both of their 4ths

Edited by cage

Again, we hear this almost every year. Not necessarily always from the Bills, but just seems like everyone wants to add more picks around the league.

That being said, I have zero issue moving down and accumulating more capital, but we also have ten picks to begin with, with all the FA signings, come a point where bot all of these guys will make the team... and to get a proper e v a l on that many young players while trying to acclimate the upwards of 16 FAs...

To me, I'd rather move up in this class and try and land Quinnen/Oliver.

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/04/2019-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-more-than-open-to-trading-back-says-daniel-jeremiah.html

This is what I have been saying most the offseason, that I still think the Bills trade down from 9 if the right offer is there.  As we sit today, I think there could be a really good shot to trade with Miami so they can get the QB they want (Haskins or Lock) before teams like Den, Cin or Was (in a move up) can grab one.  I am working on my latest mock too and the way I see the top 8 going, I think the trade down becomes the move.  Below is small section of the article:

Why would the Bills be willing to move down? According to Jeremiah, there are 15 to 16 top guys in the draft. Here is what Jeremiah said in a conference call with the media on Thursday.

“You kind of look at it from a 30,000-foot view here, I think that there’s 15 to 16 players that everybody in the league kind of agrees are the top guys, and then after that once you get to 17, 18, all the way to 50 or 60, they’re in all different order there.”  

Buffalo could make a slight drop down from No. 9 and still land one of the best prospects in the class while also adding addition picks to select players from the second tier of available prospects.

Yeah, I'd guess they're very open indeed. 

Might well be a 2018 Denver situation where they're willing to trade down but only if their guy doesn't fall to them. Oliver, maybe?

Picks in the 2nd and 3rd are valuable this year even more than usual.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Again, we hear this almost every year. Not necessarily always from the Bills, but just seems like everyone wants to add more picks around the league.

That being said, I have zero issue moving down and accumulating more capital, but we also have ten picks to begin with, with all the FA signings, come a point where bot all of these guys will make the team... and to get a proper e v a l on that many young players while trying to acclimate the upwards of 16 FAs...

To me, I'd rather move up in this class and try and land Quinnen/Oliver.

I take your point, however, I think that trading back to accumulate more 2nds is OK.  If we collect any later round picks, they need to be used to move back into 2nd round.  If we can end up w/ an extra 1-2 picks in the 2nd, then I'm good w/ trading back.  We certainly don't need to keep accumulating 3rd day picks.  

I think I would let Oliver drop to us, but I don't have any problem with them making a move up for Quinnen Williams as you suggest

Edited by cage

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The last few weeks I've said I think Ed Oliver is their guy unless someone like Josh Allen falls.  If Oliver is gone and an unexpected player does not fall to 9, I think they will want to move.  Whether they can, we'll have to wait and see.  Now with all of that said, I completely disagree with Reuter and anyone who thinks we are trading with Miami, so they can help themselves and hinder us.

9 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Trading to 30 is too far IMO.  Teens.  We still have a target I'm sure and you don't want to trade too far back and get out of range for guys you are targeting.

Edited by NewEraBills