Buffalo Bills could be surprise team of the NFL this season, says Mel Kiper Jr.

HOUSE

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm ashamed that I clicked on this thread.  Mel Kiper's opinion is based on what, exactly? 

I give the guy credit for having marketed himself so successfully.  

I used to dislike Kiper intensely.   He comes across pompous and he has the gall to charge people for his opinion on the ESPN website which others don’t do. 

But, the fact is, he is no better or no worse than any other of the pundits out there. And this includes Mayock, who, in my opinion, is overrated.  Besides, all of these other pundits wouldn’t have jobs if it wasn’t for Kiper, who started all this.  So my dislike for him as attenuated over the years. I’ve even developed some begrudging respect for him.

Besides, his take that the Bills might be a surprise team this year is not irrational or far fetched. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, HOUSE said:
Today 3:27 PM
ORCHARD PARK, NY - NOVEMBER 25: Josh Allen #17 of the Buffalo Bills celebrates a running touchdown during the fourth quarter against the Jacksonville Jaguars at New Era Field on November 25, 2018 in Orchard Park, New York. Buffalo defeats Jacksonville 24-21. (Photo by Brett Carlsen/Getty Images)

Getty Images

ORCHARD PARK, NY - NOVEMBER 25: Josh Allen #17 of the Buffalo Bills celebrates a running touchdown during the fourth quarter against the Jacksonville Jaguars at New Era Field on November 25, 2018 in Orchard Park, New York. Buffalo defeats Jacksonville 24-21. (Photo by Brett Carlsen/Getty Images)

By Ryan Talbot | rtalbot@nyup.com

Mel Kiper Jr. believes the Buffalo Bills could shock the NFL world in 2019.

Kiper appeared on One Bills Live on Friday and was asked which team could be the surprise team of the league following the 2019 NFL Draft. After discussing a few possibilities, Kiper turned his attention to Buffalo. According to Kiper, the key for the Bills is to build around Josh Allen.

General manager Brandon Beane has already added new weapons in the passing game like John Brown, Cole Beasley and Tyler Kroft. He also went out and signed multiple linemen to compete for jobs in front of the second-year QB. That said, a young quarterback can never have enough weapons or protection in front of him.

“In terms of a team getting better, I’ll go right to the Buffalo Bills," Kiper said. “Support Josh (Allen). Josh Allen proved he could be a big-time quarterback. He made plays last year and I watched every snap he took. I watched throws that were great throws called back for penalties on successive plays and they put him way behind the chains. I watched dropped passes put them in bad down and distance situations. I saw him compete. I saw him do things that other quarterbacks, even veterans, couldn’t do. Athletically, competitiveness is phenomenal. The arm, we know he has. Some of the layups, for whatever reason, he’ll just miss a few of those throws that make you scratch your head a little bit. But if he can just even things out a bit, keep working –which he will—I think the Buffalo Bills… People are just sleeping on the Buffalo Bills for some reason.”

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/04/buffalo-bills-could-be-surprise-team-of-the-nfl-this-season-says-mel-kiper-jr.html

Well, since Kiper said it, this season is going to suck.

The man is always wrong.

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'll bet every fanbase on our schedule has the Bills game marked with a 'W.'  No respect.

You KNOW the BROWNS do...

Let them mark us down as a W.

I don't care if we play them in Cleveland or wherever... that overhyped team filled with over the top personalities cannot stand. When they signed OBJ, they screwed themselves by adding volatility. As soon as the Browns start struggling, it will be a sh** show there.

If the Jets beat them early... we may just be there to clean up after the developing mess with a win!

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

I don't know if he will ever be a 60+% passer in this league but Allen is a winner and has that "It" factor that you look for in a QB. 

The last game against the Dolphins he literally took over the game in the 2nd half in the way few other QBs could...if he can do that more consistently we have a great one on our hands...

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm ashamed that I clicked on this thread.  Mel Kiper's opinion is based on what, exactly? 

I give the guy credit for having marketed himself so successfully.  

If you’re truly ashamed and humbled, perhaps a hiatus is in order. Maybe a getaway weekend in the mountains. Do some self evaluation and refocus. Just a suggestion. I know sports reporters can have a deleterious effect of some folks. We believe in you!

16 hours ago, batmanfreek said:

What was he supposed to say on a Bills related show? “I think the dolphins are a prime team to surprise a lot of people!”

He was on record as liking Josh Allen prior to last year's draft.  So it's not as if that. being impressed by his 2018 play and feeling like they could be a 2019 surprise are not 3 100% compatible opinions.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Kiper/McShay evaluate Bills draft and Kiper goes off about Allen

I wish there was a way Bills fans could show their appreciation towards Mel for sticking up for Josh Allen.  I love this!

F@#!, Todd McShay!!!

23 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

HAHA Mel going to battle for Josh too now. Its spreading. Reporters got a whiff of the process and they like it.

Sidenote: everyone on the panel along with mcshay are looking at Mel like he is out of his mind making those claims. I hope we prove them all wrong!

Damian Woody is a Jets/Patriots Homer. Mc Shay is Schopp like, he has to be right. Who the hell are the other guys???

I’m still not a Kiper fan as he still is the Stephen A. Smith of the draft to me.  But it’s always good seeing people buy into what we are doing, so kudos Kiper for the Allen support

Edited by Alphadawg7

3 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I am pretty sure someone out there has been the Bills would be the surprise team every year dating back to the Jauron days.....

Yeah, and you'd be completely wrong.

That was pretty refreshing (and unexpected) to see Kiper go off like that, defending the Bills and Josh Allen.  Wow!

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’m still not a Kiper fan as he still is the Stephen A. Smith of the draft to me.  But it’s always good seeing people buy into what we are doing, so kudos Kiper for the Allen support

Chris Simms also had JA as his QB1 last year.

• Like (+1) 2