Buffalo Bills could be surprise team of the NFL this season, says Mel Kiper Jr.

Today 3:27 PM
ORCHARD PARK, NY - NOVEMBER 25: Josh Allen #17 of the Buffalo Bills celebrates a running touchdown during the fourth quarter against the Jacksonville Jaguars at New Era Field on November 25, 2018 in Orchard Park, New York. Buffalo defeats Jacksonville 24-21. (Photo by Brett Carlsen/Getty Images)

Getty Images

ORCHARD PARK, NY - NOVEMBER 25: Josh Allen #17 of the Buffalo Bills celebrates a running touchdown during the fourth quarter against the Jacksonville Jaguars at New Era Field on November 25, 2018 in Orchard Park, New York. Buffalo defeats Jacksonville 24-21. (Photo by Brett Carlsen/Getty Images)

By Ryan Talbot | rtalbot@nyup.com

Mel Kiper Jr. believes the Buffalo Bills could shock the NFL world in 2019.

Kiper appeared on One Bills Live on Friday and was asked which team could be the surprise team of the league following the 2019 NFL Draft. After discussing a few possibilities, Kiper turned his attention to Buffalo. According to Kiper, the key for the Bills is to build around Josh Allen.

General manager Brandon Beane has already added new weapons in the passing game like John Brown, Cole Beasley and Tyler Kroft. He also went out and signed multiple linemen to compete for jobs in front of the second-year QB. That said, a young quarterback can never have enough weapons or protection in front of him.

“In terms of a team getting better, I’ll go right to the Buffalo Bills," Kiper said. “Support Josh (Allen). Josh Allen proved he could be a big-time quarterback. He made plays last year and I watched every snap he took. I watched throws that were great throws called back for penalties on successive plays and they put him way behind the chains. I watched dropped passes put them in bad down and distance situations. I saw him compete. I saw him do things that other quarterbacks, even veterans, couldn’t do. Athletically, competitiveness is phenomenal. The arm, we know he has. Some of the layups, for whatever reason, he’ll just miss a few of those throws that make you scratch your head a little bit. But if he can just even things out a bit, keep working –which he will—I think the Buffalo Bills… People are just sleeping on the Buffalo Bills for some reason.”

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/04/buffalo-bills-could-be-surprise-team-of-the-nfl-this-season-says-mel-kiper-jr.html

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Did he say something similar on One Lions Live? One Cardinals Live? 

I’m sure he sees our promise, to some extent. But people just want to hear stuff, preferably good stuff, at this time of year. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I dont like this..

I want them to continue to be the media despised, hopeless small market team with the future bust in waiting QB who couldn’t hit the side of a barn..

Stay under the radar..

What Mel Kiper says isn’t going to effect play on the field.

Glad I could educate you on that.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, HOUSE said:
Today 3:27 PM

By Ryan Talbot | rtalbot@nyup.com

Mel Kiper Jr. believes the Buffalo Bills could shock the NFL world in 2019.

Kiper appeared on One Bills Live on Friday and was asked which team could be the surprise team of the league following the 2019 NFL Draft. After discussing a few possibilities, Kiper turned his attention to Buffalo.

I'm not saying we are NOT a prime candidate to break-out this season, but the answer practically writes itself. It was a leading question and Kiper responded in kind. NFL analysis is not even his thing. 

It's cool to hear a positive take from a talking head, but I don't put much, if any, stock in it.

5 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Speaking of educating- It’s affect not effect..

Who cares?

We are talking football, not grammar and spelling.

Again, I’m pretty darn sure what Mel Kiper says will have nothing to do with what happens on the football field in 2019.

• Like (+1) 2

Kiper loved Josh Allen to the point where he would have taken him first overall. So its not surprising to see him showing some love. I think the Bills do need a good draft to put themselves over the hump but this team is trending in the right direction. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I dont like this..

I want them to continue to be the media despised, hopeless small market team with the future bust in waiting QB who couldn’t hit the side of a barn..

Stay under the radar..

What is this radar?

who holds it and what should it say?

Ill take some hype. 

Give it to me. 

Just a little. 

1 minute ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Who cares?

We are talking football, not grammar and spelling.

Again, I’m pretty darn sure what Mel Kiper says will have nothing to do with what happens on the football field in 2019.

Well that remains to be seen...

I would rather the Bills be talked down in the media, which could lead to opposing teams taking them lightly..

Just now, Bakin said:

What is this radar?

who holds it and what should it say?

Ill take some hype. 

Give it to me. 

Just a little. 

I would rather the hype come grudgingly and after they have won a few games..

27 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Remind me again...do we like Mel this week?

I think I gotta like Mel for a little while becuase he's all in on Josh Allen. And we have no Mayock anymore so that changes things a bit for me. 

I used to to watch the NFL network for draft coverage but over the past few years they have shown so many commercials with way less highlights and analysis. I hate to say, but ESPN has actually done much better, especially on days two and three. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
Its draft not drag...drag coverage would be something else altogether
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm not saying we are NOT a prime candidate to break-out this season, but the answer practically writes itself. It was a leading question and Kiper responded in kind. NFL analysis is not even his thing. 

It's cool to hear a positive take from a talking head, but I don't put much, if any, stock in it.

It is kinda cool to have Count Chocula's brother crushing on the Bills..

Related image  Image result for count chocula

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

He was one of the first media guys on Allen early.  He gains alot by Allen's success.  Allen wasnt given half feild throws, he didn't have a run game, his oline was bad.  Buffalo corrects the Oline and makes the defense respect the running game I am confident Buffalo makes the playoffs.  An impact player outside on offense and on the defensive front Buffalo is a legitimate team in the AFC.