Greg Gabriel: Hot name to Jets is Ed Oliver at 3 (Gregg wants him)

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

We’re not gonna make it, folks.

Some one mused it on Twitter and thus it must be the truth...

No Oliver people... time to move on..

Unless the Jets can trade down..

But wait a minute.. If they want Oliver so bad then why are they looking to trade down?

This Twitter stuff sure is confusing..

2 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

I thought the same thing. "Hey look, if you don't trade up to our pick, we're gonna take your guy."

Less than a week....C'mon already!

There is a zero point zero percent chance I’d trade up if I were the Bills, especially with the Jets. There’s going to be an awesome player available at 9. Don’t panic, Brandon. 

1 hour ago, mrags said:

We are 100% agreeable with Oliver and where we see him. I think he’ll be a rotational guy imo. 

I don’t disagree with your take on the WR position if you can get that guy. I just don’t know if I think Metcalf can be that. For one, he’s had multiple injuries that take away from him. A big fast, hard to cover guy could be any one of those guys I said. Except they all have better route running abilities. I don’t deny we need a big physical WR and I think Metcalf has that. I’d just rather sacrifice a little top end speed with a guy that’s more agile. Every one of those guys I said above has that and you won’t have to give up a mint for them. Maybe Harry and Brown in the first bit Butler, Hall and Harmon are all 2nd to 3rd rounders. 

The agility metrics weren't great, no question, but the thing that always gets misunderstood is that agility only matters in the context of using it to excel in football -- it's one of a number of aspects, along with explosion, catch radius, speed, strength, bulk, demeanor, hand fighting, flexibility, body control, hand strength, intelligence, etc. to help a WR get open. DK has all of the rest in spades, so his agility -- especially when used correctly -- shouldn't be a major issue. 

The injury thing is indefensible as none of us know how that checked out, so I think it goes without saying that any pro-Metcalf thought goes hand-in-hand with assuming he's healthy. Plus it's boring as hell to discuss...

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I just tweeted this to Sal, but...

First we hear from Matt Miller that the Bills love Ed Oliver. Then we hear that the Jets "badly" want to trade down. Then we hear that the Jets are taking Oliver. I know trades with division rivals are rare, but is it crazy to think the Jets are trying to lure the Bills into trading up for Oliver?

Beane did a double head fake and hopefully the Jets fall for it...

Beane: NO! Please don't take Oliver at 3! :angry:  That's my guy at 9. :cry:  No, please let him fall... :(  FINE! Take him then... :censored:

Beane slowly turn away... When back is to the Jets GM... :mellow:^_^;):):D:devil::thumbsup:

46 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

The agility metrics weren't great, no question, but the thing that always gets misunderstood is that agility only matters in the context of using it to excel in football -- it's one of a number of aspects, along with explosion, catch radius, speed, strength, bulk, demeanor, hand fighting, flexibility, body control, hand strength, intelligence, etc. to help a WR get open. DK has all of the rest in spades, so his agility -- especially when used correctly -- shouldn't be a major issue. 

The injury thing is indefensible as none of us know how that checked out, so I think it goes without saying that any pro-Metcalf thought goes hand-in-hand with assuming he's healthy. Plus it's boring as hell to discuss...

In all fairness I’d say his flexibility is far from ideal if his agility is an issue. They go hand in hand. Also, his intelligence is also undebatable to us, just like his injury history. 

Dont get me wrong. The dude is a monster and might be the best WR in the draft. Although he might not. We could say it with everyone. 

Id prefer guys that I know have a better route tree. That are more than just speed. Guys that find ways to get open besides running away from defenders. Because Metcalf, will meet game plans for him. Double teams where he can’t outrun the defenses fastest DB and safety over the top. 

Im not doubting his physical dominance. But not too many had Odell Beckham Jr as the best WR in his draft class and he has risen to the top because he was the best all around WR. Not because he was the biggest or the fastest. 

Edited by mrags

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

We’re not gonna make it, folks.

Nope, nope and triple nope.

They are eager to trade down. They are throwing names out there to get a team hot on that player to bite.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dlonce said:

Nope, nope and triple nope.

They are eager to trade down. They are throwing names out there to get a team hot on that player to bite.

Their GM is going to get schitcanned very soon.

Here is the Jets draft:

• Round 1: N.Y. Jets
  • Round 2: None
  • Round 3: N.Y. Jets, New Orleans
  • Round 4: N.Y. Jets
  • Round 5: N.Y. Jets
  • Round 6: None
  • Round 7: N.Y. Jets

7 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Yeah, draft a player for a DC who’s gone in a year or two.

You beat me to it.  Gregg has a personality that wears thin very quickly, and Gase is no Prince Charming either.  Those 2 could be run out of town on a rail, or in the case of being in the NY metro area, on a railroad.  

It's pretty well known that the Jets want to move down and accumulate some picks.  Anyone they pick at #3 is a fall back option in case they can't find a willing trade partner.  I could see Oliver being a Greg Williams type player.  Even though he's an interior defensive lineman, he's twitchy and he's aggressive, both traits that Williams would like.

4 hours ago, mrags said:

In all fairness I’d say his flexibility is far from ideal if his agility is an issue. They go hand in hand. Also, his intelligence is also undebatable to us, just like his injury history. 

Dont get me wrong. The dude is a monster and might be the best WR in the draft. Although he might not. We could say it with everyone. 

Id prefer guys that I know have a better route tree. That are more than just speed. Guys that find ways to get open besides running away from defenders. Because Metcalf, will meet game plans for him. Double teams where he can’t outrun the defenses fastest DB and safety over the top. 

Im not doubting his physical dominance. But not too many had Odell Beckham Jr as the best WR in his draft class and he has risen to the top because he was the best all around WR. Not because he was the biggest or the fastest. 

This WR class reminds me of the 2008 WR class... Gotta make sure we take this years DeSean Jackson or Jordy Nelson and not Devin Thomas or James Hardy... I’m not even going to predict who the best WR in this class is going to be. It’s going to be fun watching when the run on WRs happens though.