Greg Gabriel: Hot name to Jets is Ed Oliver at 3 (Gregg wants him)

4 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Fine. That means that Quinnen Williams or Josh Allen will make it to at least 5. The sweet spot for a trade up is 5 anyways. I think Quinnen Williams is the best player in this draft. 

seems the falcons have their eye on him as well.  likely wont happen but williams would be an awesome pick for the bills.

Williams is expected to go well before the Falcons pick at No. 14, and he’s been discussed as a potential top-three pick throughout much of the draft process. If the Falcons believe they are one major piece away from become title contenders, however, Williams is one of the few players who could be worth a king’s ransom.

2019 NFL Draft: Why Alabama’s Quinnen Williams could be the Falcons’ first-round pick

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

seems the falcons have their eye on him as well.  likely wont happen but williams would be an awesome pick for the bills.

Williams is expected to go well before the Falcons pick at No. 14, and he’s been discussed as a potential top-three pick throughout much of the draft process. If the Falcons believe they are one major piece away from become title contenders, however, Williams is one of the few players who could be worth a king’s ransom.

2019 NFL Draft: Why Alabama’s Quinnen Williams could be the Falcons’ first-round pick

If Williams falls to 5 its going to be a bidding war.  I just don't see it.  IMO he's the best player in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

I can't believe I agree with you on something! :D 

I’m with you. Completely undersized. Will get gobbled up by REAL NFL linemen. He’s only been dominant in high school and college because he plays against scrubs that will be working construction jobs by the end of this summer. 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 3

Quickly, here's my logic on not being a fan of Oliver...

I've said on multiple DK Metcalf threads that I want the Bills to take a homerun swing with their first pick, but that's oversimplifying it --- I want the Bills to take a "safeish" homerun swing. DK, in my opinion, is a guy with a very high floor and practically zero ceiling. To me, that's the type of guy I'm looking for given where this franchise is.

I recognize that Oliver has a high ceiling, and that he fits a need too, but a DT playing in the mid-260s, who's shown to maybe not quite be a consistent team player is a guy who has almost no floor, either. We can't afford to completely whiff on this pick. Another Aaron Maybin type pick could seriously derail the momentum we've started building.

THAT'S why I don't want Oliver, he's an undo risk when there are FAAAAR safer bets at his position who could be had quite a bit cheaper. (I also think that doing everything we can to make Josh Allen's life and development easier should be our absolute first priority, but I digress...)

Edited by glazeduck
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Quickly, here's my logic on not being a fan of Oliver...

I've said on multiple DK Metcalf threads that I want the Bills to take a homerun swing with their first pick, but that's oversimplifying it --- I want the Bills to take a "safeish" homerun swing. DK, in my opinion, is a guy with a very high floor and practically zero ceiling. To me, that's the type of guy I'm looking for given where this franchise is.

I recognize that Oliver has a high ceiling too, and that he fits a need too, but a DT playing in the mid-260s, who's shown to maybe not quite be a consistent team player is a guy who has almost no floor, either. We can't afford to completely whiff on this pick. Another Aaron Maybin type pick could seriously derail the momentum we've started building.

THAT'S why I don't want Oliver, he's an undo risk when there are FAAAAR safer bets at his position who could be had quite a bit cheaper.

I agree with your take on Oliver. There’s safer bets to be had for less at the position. However I feel the same way at WR. For every Tillery, Wilkins, Lawrence, Jones, Willis there is to Oliver.  There’s a Harry, Butler, Brown, Hall, Harmon to Metcalf. 

Agree to disagree on some things I guess. 

If that’s why I say trade back and get one of the dominant TEs and pick up extra picks so that we can take the safer bets in rounds 2 and 3

Edited by mrags

1 minute ago, mrags said:

I agree with your take on Oliver. There’s safer bets to be had for less at the position. However I feel the same way at WR. For every Tillery, Wilkins, Lawrence, Jones, Willis there is to Oliver.  There’s a Harry, Butler, Brown, Hall, Harmon to Metcalf. 

Agree to disagree on some things I guess. 

If that’s why I say trade back and get one of the dominant TEs and pick up extra picks so that we can take the safer bets in rounds 2 and 3

To each their own, I think their position dictates a relative difference though...

A WR that's that big, fast and strong will always be a tough cover and can always be used effectively so long as he's healthy (that's always the caveat, but since we can't do anything about that I tend to leave out that bit) which is what I mean by "safeish". Maybe he doesn't become Calvin Johnson II, but if his floor is Tyrell Williams II, that's something. That, to me, makes the gamble of taking him worth it, whereas I see Ed Oliver's floor as being a commentator for Houston Cougars football in a few years ?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, glazeduck said:

To each their own, I think their position dictates a relative difference though...

A WR that's that big, fast and strong will always be a tough cover and can always be used effectively so long as he's healthy (that's always the caveat, but since we can't do anything about that I tend to leave out that bit) which is what I mean by "safeish". Maybe he doesn't become Calvin Johnson II, but if his floor is Tyrell Williams II, that's something. That, to me, makes the gamble of taking him worth it, whereas I see Ed Oliver's floor as being a commentator for Houston Cougars football in a few years ?

We are 100% agreeable with Oliver and where we see him. I think he’ll be a rotational guy imo. 

I don’t disagree with your take on the WR position if you can get that guy. I just don’t know if I think Metcalf can be that. For one, he’s had multiple injuries that take away from him. A big fast, hard to cover guy could be any one of those guys I said. Except they all have better route running abilities. I don’t deny we need a big physical WR and I think Metcalf has that. I’d just rather sacrifice a little top end speed with a guy that’s more agile. Every one of those guys I said above has that and you won’t have to give up a mint for them. Maybe Harry and Brown in the first bit Butler, Hall and Harmon are all 2nd to 3rd rounders. 

1 hour ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

If they're sticking with a 3-4 (and still badly in need of an edge rusher), wouldn't he and Leonard Williams be redundant? Then again, if he's a future all-pro, who cares I guess

Gregg is a 43 guy that likes pass rush 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I just tweeted this to Sal, but...

First we hear from Matt Miller that the Bills love Ed Oliver. Then we hear that the Jets "badly" want to trade down. Then we hear that the Jets are taking Oliver. I know trades with division rivals are rare, but is it crazy to think the Jets are trying to lure the Bills into trading up for Oliver?

Or both teams like a lot of good players available in the draft 

1 hour ago, glazeduck said:

That's quite the prediction for a grossly undersized defensive lineman...

Dude's gonna get swallowed up in the NFL, just watch. 

I won’t predict that he will be a bust, but man I’m concerned about his lack of size.  He will have to win completely with quickness as he is very underweight, has shorter than ideal arms and isn’t quite as tall as you want for the position. 

Watching his game tape, his quickness and effort are outstanding, but will that be enough to succeed in the NFL?  

I will certainly understand why they would take him and won’t hate the pick, but I don’t see him as a sure thing.

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I won’t predict that he will be a bust, but man I’m concerned about his lack of size.  He will have to win completely with quickness as he is very underweight, has shorter than ideal arms and isn’t quite as tall as you want for the position. 

Watching his game tape, his quickness and effort are outstanding, but will that be enough to succeed in the NFL?  

I will certainly understand why they would take him and won’t hate the pick, but I don’t see him as a sure thing.

Very well said. 

Goes back to Glazes take. Rather take one of the other DTs later in the first or 2nd 

6 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Sounds similar to another DT we recently had

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

Sounds similar to another DT we recently had

If you are referring to Kyle Williams, Williams was considerably heavier coming out of college (299 according to Wiki) than Oliver (really) will play at.  Oliver was 281 at his Pro Day and likely won’t be able to maintain that weight through a full season.