Oh Gettleman

2 hours ago, eball said:

I'm dead serious.  I don't typically do much research on draft picks, but Jones is a guy I've watched for several years since I live in Durham.  There is no way in H-E-L-L I think he should have been drafted in the 1st round, much less the top ten.  And then for Gettleman to say he could sit for three years?  I think that selection is soul-crushing for Giants fans.

And career ending for Gettleman

4 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

And career ending for Gettleman

...whoa!...not so fast.......he gives himself high grades and a smooch on his twin cheeks..............

Dave Gettleman: I like my resume so far

Posted by Josh Alper on April 21, 2019, 9:46 AM EDT

Giants General Manager Dave Gettleman made the decisions to trade wide receiver Odell Beckham and not hold onto safety Landon Collins this offseason. He’s heard the criticism of those moves and he’s heard doubts about his overall plan to build the team since he was hired in late 2017.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

This may go down in history as one of the worst picks in a draft, ever.  Even highly touted QB’s are a huge 1st round risk and more often than not go bust.  A fourth round talent near the top of the draft?

The Jones pick reminds me of another QB the Giants took in the top 10.  I was living in the NYC suburbs at the time & the media & fans went nuts when the Giants used the 7th pick in the draft to take a kid from that QB factory Morehead State.  Phil Simms had a pretty good career.  

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The look on Golics face was the same as mine before I erupted into laughter along with everyone I was watching the draft with, priceless...

Gettleman may have sweated out a great troll job by the Skins and others, the one guy who doesnt get the jokes on him.

Not defending Gettleman, but he drafted a QB with at least some superficial resemblance to Cam Newton, whom he drafted for the Panthers.  It is a high risk pick.  I imagine the plan is to play Eli this year and groom Jones for the future.  His protege, Brandon Beane also drafted a QB with some superficial resemblance to Cam Newton.  It's not a done deal, but Allen shows some signs that he may develop into a fine NFL QB.  I think if I were a Giants fan, my main complaint is that  he could have gotten Daniel Jones later in round 1. He maybe could have tried to trade down from 6 overall, or taken a player with more potential for immediate impact at 6 and then traded up a bit from his second first rounder.  There are those GMs whose philosophy is if you like a player a great deal, you get him when you can.

10 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Not defending Gettleman, but he drafted a QB with at least some superficial resemblance to Cam Newton, whom he drafted for the Panthers.  It is a high risk pick.  I imagine the plan is to play Eli this year and groom Jones for the future.  His protege, Brandon Beane also drafted a QB with some superficial resemblance to Cam Newton.  It's not a done deal, but Allen shows some signs that he may develop into a fine NFL QB.  I think if I were a Giants fan, my main complaint is that  he could have gotten Daniel Jones later in round 1. He maybe could have tried to trade down from 6 overall, or taken a player with more potential for immediate impact at 6 and then traded up a bit from his second first rounder.  There are those GMs whose philosophy is if you like a player a great deal, you get him when you can.

What is Jones’ resemblance to Cam Newton? Honest question as I didn’t watch Duke football on the regular.  From what I saw, he was like Ryan Tannehill.

• Like (+1) 1

Gettleman is not doing a good job IMO.  His press conference was terrible about the pick.  

What stood out for me was that he said his love for Jones bloomed on THREE SERIES at the Senior Bowl!?!?  Are you serious?  I’ve seen Nathan Peterman play 3 good series in a row before, who the heck cares about just 3 series?

I realize their pick of him relied on more than that, but he literally credited those 3 series as what made him fall in love with him.  So now he over drafted a guy because of an over inflated opinion that was locked in on such a small amount of data.

Even if Jones plays well in the NFL, this pick will have lost value because he easily could have had an elite D prospect and still got Jones later...or Haskins...or Lock.  

I do get making sure you get YOUR guy, you should always IGNORE mocks and rankings and take your guy.  But then there are exceptions that are just head scratching like this or when Raiders took Heyward Bey top 10 who was at best a 2nd round pick, if that.  

Its not just about getting “your” guy, it’s also about managing the draft and extracting max value throughout it...and that’s where Gettleman screwed himself, he lost a ton of draft value in this move even if Jones pans out.

None of this matters now, all that will matter here on out is what he does on the field.  But DAMN!  What a TERRIBLE position for Jones to be in for success!?  I feel bad for the kid as he is going to be hated until he proves his worth.  He has 100 times more pressure on him being a grossly over drafted QB playing in New York.  He will get vilified and booed until he doesn’t suck...all young QBs generally suck until they don’t, so yikes that’s going to be rough road for him.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

What is Jones’ resemblance to Cam Newton? Honest question as I didn’t watch Duke football on the regular.  From what I saw, he was like Ryan Tannehill.

Both are right-handed.

• Haha (+1) 2