Oh Gettleman

On 4/20/2019 at 2:30 PM, GunnerBill said:

I had a 3rd on Josh. He was too boom or bust for my tastes and I did worry about the inaccuracy. I have said since I totally missed on his legs and if I had seen his ability as a runner that would have lifted him into the 2nd because it allows a QB to move the chains on the ground and avoid having to force throws into tight windows early while they continue to develop as passers. I had a 2nd on Lamar Jackson for that reason. I always said Allen had the highest ceiling just a very slim chance of meeting it. I feel a lot better about him a year on. 

Someone asked for the link to my 2018 evals and I will dig them out at some point. 

Gunner, in as much as I really respect your knowledge and judgement, where would you put JA in last year's draft knowing what you know now?  

Just now, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

Gunner, in as much as I really respect your knowledge and judgement, where would you put JA in last year's draft knowing what you know now?  

So if we pretend that his 2018 Bills tape was actually his 2017 Wyoming tape then probably high second, maybe 1st / 2nd borderline. I'd still have had him behind Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield because all their college tape was very good. 

If what you are asking is where would I rank him out of that class based on what they did in the NFL as rookies then I have him basically joint second with Darnold. I thought Darnold's rookie tape as a passer was a little better but Josh's big play ability stood out. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/20/2019 at 5:46 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I bust on Gunner a lot about Shaq but in general Gunner does a pro level job of evaluating prospects, IMO.

Nobody is anywhere close to perfect..........it's seeing the elite capability in a guy like DeShaun Watson that really pops out...........I know you were also that high on Mahomes even well before his last season at TT.   Great calls.

In years where I put extensive research in I've pounded the table to trade the farm to move up for Champ Bailey:thumbsup:................and Kellen Winslow Jr.?..............I had Aaron Donald as the top defensive player in 2014:thumbsup:..........and had Calvin Pryor as the second best.:doh:

The key to being "more" right is not offering evaluations on everyone;)...........that's how you get cherry picked for your mis-evaluations.

Cheers Badol. And yep, we all get evaluations wrong. I have basically 3 rules:

1. Never hide from one you get wrong and never stop having opinions because of it;

2. Watch the guys you got wrong even more than the guys you get right that is how you learn; and

3. Most importantly, try to get more right than wrong ?

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So if we pretend that his 2018 Bills tape was actually his 2017 Wyoming tape then probably high second, maybe 1st / 2nd borderline. I'd still have had him behind Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield because all their college tape was very good. 

If what you are asking is where would I rank him out of that class based on what they did in the NFL as rookies then I have him basically joint second with Darnold. I thought Darnold's rookie tape as a passer was a little better but Josh's big play ability stood out. 

I wonder if you could do that with all the Bill's choices you ranked last draft. Where  (what round) you ranked them, and where you would have ranked them last year if their 2018 Bills tape was their 2017 college tape. I know this might be some work for you, but I'd really like to know which of these guys, in your mind, over or under performed, based on your original rankings.

1 hour ago, iinii said:

Read today’s MMQB. Gettleman is far from the worst GM in the league and probably a mentor for our current regime in some ways 

Taking a RB in one of the richest QB classes of the last decade is inexcusable.  It may work out, but the point is when you have the 2nd pick in the draft with stud QB prospects, you don't take a RB.  

You also don't sign your WR to a gazillion dollars then immediately trade him.  

So far I am very unimpressed with Gettleman.  

On 4/20/2019 at 12:46 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I bust on Gunner a lot about Shaq but in general Gunner does a pro level job of evaluating prospects, IMO.

Nobody is anywhere close to perfect..........it's seeing the elite capability in a guy like DeShaun Watson that really pops out...........I know you were also that high on Mahomes even well before his last season at TT.   Great calls.

In years where I put extensive research in I've pounded the table to trade the farm to move up for Champ Bailey:thumbsup:................and Kellen Winslow Jr.?..............I had Aaron Donald as the top defensive player in 2014:thumbsup:..........and had Calvin Pryor as the second best.:doh:

The key to being "more" right is not offering evaluations on everyone;)...........that's how you get cherry picked for your mis-evaluations.

Kellen Winslow Jr may go down as the creepiest human to ever play in the NFL. And it's not as if he doesn't face stiff competition!!

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 4/19/2019 at 5:55 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I feel like Jones has the potential to be this year’s Ryan Nassib - constantly mocked to the Bills at 8 due to QB need and ties to Marrone. Ended up 4th rd, where he should have gone, never started. 

Funny you mention that. ESPN is on the TV's in the office at work, and I had to do a double take, dude looked like Nassib throwing the ball when I looked up at the TV. 

2 hours ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

I wonder if you could do that with all the Bill's choices you ranked last draft. Where  (what round) you ranked them, and where you would have ranked them last year if their 2018 Bills tape was their 2017 college tape. I know this might be some work for you, but I'd really like to know which of these guys, in your mind, over or under performed, based on your original rankings.

So I was really high on Tremaine (top 10 grade) He slightly underperformed for me in 2018 but as I have said many times before there was big jump year 1 to year 2 on his college tape so I would hope for the same in the pros.

I thought Harrison Phillips was a solid 3rd round dtackle who played the run well but offered little pass rush upside - which is exactly what he was as a rotational player his rookie year. 

Loved the Taron Johnson pick. Had him about where they picked him and he performed maybe a little better than I expected as a rookie but I did say the moment we picked him he would beat out Philip Gaines to start and he did, handily. 

On the others Wyatt Teller, Siran Neal, Ray-Ray McCloud and Austin Proehl I hadn't evaluated any of them so would be unfair to comment. 

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So I was really high on Tremaine (top 10 grade) He slightly underperformed for me in 2018 but as I have said many times before there was big jump year 1 to year 2 on his college tape so I would hope for the same in the pros.

Ahhh....you crushed him after the Panthers pre season game last August.But what you said was true...he drifts.

On the first drive in that game,he tried to read Newton's eyes when he was zeroed in on the TE..Edmunds bit..hook line. Vontae Davis played 10 yards off the wideout..Milano got sucked into the middle ...the gain was a long one.

4 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Ahhh....you crushed him after the Panthers pre season game last August.But what you said was true...he drifts.

On the first drive in that game,he tried to read Newton's eyes when he was zeroed in on the TE..Edmunds bit..hook line. Vontae Davis played 10 yards off the wideout..Milano got sucked into the middle ...the gain was a long one.

Yea and that was a theme all season. I am still reasonably confident he will be a lot better year 2. 

3 hours ago, Mango said:

Funny you mention that. ESPN is on the TV's in the office at work, and I had to do a double take, dude looked like Nassib throwing the ball when I looked up at the TV. 

I don’t get the hype on him in the 1st rd. At all.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:00 PM, Stank_Nasty said:

jones? I would say 90% of what I've seen is anywhere from borderline top 10 to early 2nd. 

Just as an example for the range on Jones on this.... Todd McShay has him as a 3rd rounder and doesn't have him in his top 5 Quarterbacks which are:

1. Murray

2. Haskins

3. Lock

4. Stidham

5. Finley

Doesn't mean McShay won't mock him higher... but he is not high on Jones as a prospect.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Taking a RB in one of the richest QB classes of the last decade is inexcusable.  It may work out, but the point is when you have the 2nd pick in the draft with stud QB prospects, you don't take a RB.  

You also don't sign your WR to a gazillion dollars then immediately trade him.  

So far I am very unimpressed with Gettleman.  

Other than helping build Super Bowl teams in Buffalo, NY (Giants), and Carolina the thing that caught my interest is the probability that Gettleman showed our current regime how to rip the bandaid of in a rebuild. 

2 minutes ago, iinii said:

Other than helping build Super Bowl teams in Buffalo, NY (Giants), and Carolina the thing that caught my interest is the probability that Gettleman showed our current regime how to rip the bandaid of in a rebuild. 

What bandaid did he rip off?  He’s holding on to Eli like a bad ex girlfriend he can’t leave.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

What bandaid did he rip off?  He’s holding on to Eli like a bad ex girlfriend he can’t leave.  

Apparently Carolina had cap issues like OBD. You can hate on him all you want, whatever he does or doesn’t do is pretty irrelevant to me. Enjoy