Best Museums in Buffalo

Another Fan

28 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Is the Buffalo Savings Bank building downtown with the golden dome still standing? If it is still in existence what is it being used for? 

It is.  I live a half block away and have an excellent view from my windows.

After BSB closed, it was HQ for a bank called ‘Gold Dome’ (go figure), now it’s part of M&T Bank and doing well.  The dome was recently regilded with gold leaf.

Mark Twain manuscripts and other items are in the city to be partaken in if you are so inclined.

Not sure if the Morton Feldman U of B archives are accessible, he's a favourite of mine from the 20th century, sparked by a feature in The New Yorker where his response to a rehearsal of a 4 hour string quartet he composed, was "you were too ***** loud and too ***** fast!!!!"

2 minutes ago, The Senator said:

It is.  I live a half block away and have an excellent view from my windows.

After BSB closed, it was HQ for a bank called ‘Gold Dome’ (go figure), now it’s part of M&T Bank and doing well.  The dome was recently regilded with gold leaf.

Thanks for the info. 

What are the prospects for One Seneca Tower? The developer , Douglas Jemal, is a can do developer who has had many projects in restoring old buildings in DC. He has taken on a gargantuan project and will do this sizable project in stages. He has a lot of credibility in getting his challenging projects completed. 

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Thanks for the info. 

What are the prospects for One Seneca Tower? The developer , Douglas Jemal, is a can do developer who has had many projects in restoring old buildings in DC. He has taken on a gargantuan project and will do this sizable project in stages. He has a lot of credibility in getting his challenging projects completed. 

Jemal has made tremendous progress.  He insists the initial phase of redevelopment will be completed by end of summer and will be  to receive office, retail, and residential tenants.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:34 PM, The Senator said:

Also, the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site (Wilcox Mansion) on Delaware, run by the National Park Service, if you like that sort of stuff.

Went and saw that last fall before the Pats* game, definitely interesting if you're into that part of history. 

We also did the City Hall Observation Deck, there are some panels up there about the history of the area as you look out the windows. 

https://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/businesses/buffalo-city-hall-observation-deck/

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Went and saw that last fall before the Pats* game, definitely interesting if you're into that part of history. 

We also did the City Hall Observation Deck, there are some panels up there about the history of the area as you look out the windows. 

https://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/businesses/buffalo-city-hall-observation-deck/

Cool!  Great way to see Buff Town from every overhead angle.  On a clear day you can easily see the mist from the Falls.

I always thought the Buffalo Science Museum was cool.  I haven't been in a long time now but I have some great memories going there when I was kid with the Cub Scouts and for school field trips.  I even remember they had this event in the Cub Scouts where we got sleep overnight there and they had all kinds of activities and stuff....Wow just had some major nostalgia flashbacks there!

Definitely NOT that guy who cut his wife's head off in Orchard Park a bunch of years back.

Oh... Wait!  You said museums.  Museums!

Is Old Fort Niagara considered a "museum?"  Go there:

https://www.oldfortniagara.org

fortniagara_350.jpg

10612531_10152705179029850_5605578475736

FB_IMG_1505321377980.jpg

^^^Look, reenactment of the first "identity aggression" in the "New" World!  When will it end!

FWIW.  The French flag that flies over Old Fort Niagara is the colonial French flag of that period (when The French controlled the fort).  I sh... ...it you not:

92383c5b0c08d443d516a2f93ff5c34bd9625594

/smh /snicker /snicker /snicker

?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Definitely NOT that guy who cut his wife's head off in Orchard Park a bunch of years back.

That was a weird one - guy was founder and CEO of Bridges TV, an Islamic television network.  Cut his wife’s head off, then went down to the OP police station and reported  her dead.

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

FWIW.  The French flag that flies over Old Fort Niagara is the colonial French flag of that period (when The French controlled the fort).  I sh... ...it you not:

?

Hysterical! ?

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Is Old Fort Niagara considered a "museum?"  Go there:

https://www.oldfortniagara.org

fortniagara_350.jpg

10612531_10152705179029850_5605578475736

FB_IMG_1505321377980.jpg

^^^Look, reenactment of the first "identity aggression" in the "New" World!  When will it end!

?

I love old fort Niagara!

beautiful place

On 4/19/2019 at 9:54 AM, Another Fan said:

I’ve been to the Pierce Arrow one to look at the old cars.  Wasnt a bad way to spend an hour or two.  I forgot who it was named after but I was at The Frank Lloyd Wright house by the Zoo.

Any other good ones?  

The Buffalo History Museum is always interesting and they have some great exhibits right now including one on Buffalo sports   http://www.buffalohistory.org/Explore/Exhibits/Exhibits.aspx