Best Museums in Buffalo

Another Fan

2 hours ago, Rockpile233 said:

If you enjoyed the Martin house check out the other home FLW did for the Martin’s in Derby, Graycliff.

There’s also the Heath house on Soldiers Circle and the Davidson house on Tillinghast ( both private residences), the Blue Sky Mausoleum at Forest Lawn, the Fontana Boat House, and the FLW filling station, which he designed for Buffalo but was never built - Jim Sandoro finally built it inside the Pierce Arrow Museum.

It’s a crying shame Buffalo demolished the Larkin Adminstration Building in 1950...

https://buffalonews.com/2016/06/11/buffalo-know-lost-larkin-administration-building/

B7D46F51-CE3D-4F00-B930-D4F31DDA7A54.jpeg

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I’ve been to the Pierce Arrow one to look at the old cars.  Wasnt a bad way to spend an hour or two.  I forgot who it was named after but I was at The Frank Lloyd Wright house by the Zoo.

Any other good ones?  

You would be referring to the Darwin Martin house - he was president of the Larkin Company here in Buffalo.

The Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society on Elmwood and Nottingham is interesting - the have the actual gun that was used to assassinate President McKinley.

Also, the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site (Wilcox Mansion) on Delaware, run by the National Park Service, if you like that sort of stuff.

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

It’s a crying shame Buffalo demolished the Larkin Adminstration Building in 1950...

Add to that;  The Erie County Savings Bank, Grosvenor Library,  Bethlehem Steel admin building, etc.

Those were beautiful old buildings, replaced by ‘modern’ monstrosities in the name of urban renewal.

In 1969 some shmuck consultants from Cambridge MA (Arthur D . Little) convinced our wise city leaders that we needed a downtown shopping mall.  Erie Cty Svgs Bank, a gorgeous old edifice, was demolished to make room for Main Place, which now sits almost empty.

At the same time, the mall completely altered Buffalo’s historic street plan, which was laid out by Joseph Ellicott and loosely based on Pierre L’Enfant’s design for Washington DC.

Here’s another gem that burned and wasn’t saved, the old Pierce Palace Hotel, that used to grace the West Side...

http://blog.buffalostories.com/torn-down-tuesday-pierces-palace-hotel-in-1880/

3260427E-BEEB-4A2D-AE6D-9F90A8F99C54.jpeg

They also tore down the old Fargo Mansion (founder of Wells Fargo and American Express).

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Statler goes soon - Croce isn’t doing anything except letting it fall apart.

Thank God for the Central Terminal Restoration Corporation - at least someone is trying to save the place.

Edited by The Senator
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

There’s also the Heath house on Soldiers Circle and the Davidson house on Tillinghast ( both private residences), the Blue Sky Mausoleum at Forest Lawn, the Fontana Boat House, and the FLW filling station, which he designed for Buffalo but was never built - Jim Sandoro finally built it inside the Pierce Arrow Museum.

https://buffalonews.com/2016/06/11/buffalo-know-lost-larkin-administration-building/

B7D46F51-CE3D-4F00-B930-D4F31DDA7A54.jpeg

That thing looks like some sort of a cubist Sumerian temple.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Buffalo has over 50 private and public art galleries and tons of museums to boot!

I neglected to mention the Karpeles Manuscript Library (Buffalo has two - one on Porter Ave. and one on Elmwood and North), the numerous Underground Railroad and African American Heritage Sites (Michigan Ave. Baptist Church, Broderick Park, Nash House, Colored Musicians Club), Burchfield Penny, etc., etc...

https://stepoutbuffalo.com/wny-museums/

https://www.michiganstreetbuffalo.org/

I always liked the Buffalo History Museum, which apparently is now what the old Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society is called.  I spent much time there in grades 7 and 8 in the library doing research.  Local history has always been interesting to me.

I was last in the Buffalo Science Museum in probably the early 90s, enjoyed it as well.  

I’ve got to get out more.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Senator said:

Those were beautiful old buildings, replaced by ‘modern’ monstrosities in the name of urban renewal.

In 1969 some shmuck consultants from Cambridge MA (Arthur D . Little) convinced our wise city leaders that we needed a downtown shopping mall.  Erie Cty Svgs Bank, a gorgeous old edifice, was demolished to make room for Main Place, which now sits almost empty.

At the same time, the mall completely altered Buffalo’s historic street plan, which was laid out by Joseph Ellicott and loosely based on Pierre L’Enfant’s design for Washington DC.

Here’s another gem that burned and wasn’t saved, the old Pierce Palace Hotel, that used to grace the West Side...

They also tore down the old Fargo Mansion (founder of Wells Fargo and American Express).

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Statler goes soon - Croce isn’t doing anything except letting it fall apart.

Thank God for the Central Terminal Restoration Corporation - at least someone is trying to save the place.

THAT is one magnificent piece of architecture. 

19 hours ago, Augie said:

That’s certainly where my list would have started.

It’s unfortunately also where it would have ended. 

There's also the Burchfield Penney art center right across the street.  Can realistically spend a day in the area, walking the 3 museums and Delaware Park, while only crossing 3 or 4 streets

22 hours ago, The Senator said:

Is the Buffalo Savings Bank building downtown with the golden dome still standing? If it is still in existence what is it being used for?