Help out Matt Barkley - who knew these existed in Buffalo?

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

It's not a Brown Recluse, so there's nothing to worry about.

It doesn't look like a black widow either...there are black widows in WNY, but their reputation is far scarier than the effects of being bitten by one.  Sure, a little kid could get pretty sick/inflamed from a bite, but you almost certainly aren't going to die from it.

So you have that going for you...

2 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

It's a wolf spider. Not poisonous or harmful to humans, but you still don't want to get bit. The get pretty big and look ominous

It’s good to know it’s not harmful. Looks scary as hell. I always thought these huge spiders were in places like Texas 

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

It's not a Brown Recluse, so there's nothing to worry about.

It doesn't look like a black widow either...there are black widows in WNY, but their reputation is far scarier than the effects of being bitten by one.  Sure, a little kid could get pretty sick/inflamed from a bite, but you almost certainly aren't going to die from it.

When I was working in NC the house we rented had recluses in it, we got it sprayed and that cleared them out. Also found a Black Window on the outside under the gutters. 

I like the heat but I will never live somewhere that doesn’t get cold enough to kill the nastiness. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, CommonCents said:

When I was working in NC the house we rented had recluses in it, we got it sprayed and that cleared them out. Also found a Black Window on the outside under the gutters. 

I like the heat but I will never live somewhere that doesn’t get cold enough to kill the nastiness. 

Same - it’s my favorite part of winter. No bugs.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

I always figured the cold is what drives them into the house or at least I'm always finding them more often in the winter.

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I always figured the cold is what drives them into the house or at least I'm always finding them more often in the winter.

The house we rented was vacant for awhile before we moved in. We pressure washed the  outside when we got down there, I’m pretty sure that drove a lot of nasty inside. We found no less than 5 Brown Recluses in the first few weeks. The locals didn’t seem to phased by it. Oh you can move your bed to the center of the room, don’t lay towels on the floor etc. 

Getting it sprayed was the best thing we ever did. Never saw another one, trying to sleep knowing those suckers are in there was not fun. 

We also came across wood spiders, we were playing darts in the garage and this spider comes hopping across the floor like it’s ready to party. 

My days down down south are over.

Edited by CommonCents

A few months ago, a friend told me that when they built the Tesla solar plant at River bend in South Buffalo, mixed in with much of the machinery that was imported from China were gigantic spiders - practically the size of a toilet seat.

Edited by The Senator
  • Sad 1