Help out Matt Barkley - who knew these existed in Buffalo?

20 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I'm in L.A. too.  Sprayed a Black Widow in a friend's garage and saw it die.  Came back fifteen minutes later and  that mofo was back hanging where it was when I first saw it.  I damn near emptied the can when I sprayed it the first time.  ?

Most insects are killed ingesting poison when they clean themselves and spiders don't clean themselves.    So spraying it just made him less popular with non-spiders.    Once you get them you gotta' manually crush em to get good results but the ortho bug barrier product does a good job of keeping them out.    I live in the woods along water and the frickin place would be totally cocooned if I didn't spray it every two months.     But the first time I had to manually kill about 1000 spiders including a bunch of these wolf spiders.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Most insects are killed ingesting poison when they clean themselves and spiders don't clean themselves.    So spraying it just made him less popular with non-spiders.    Once you get them you gotta' manually crush em to get good results but the ortho bug barrier product does a good job of keeping them out.    I live in the woods along water and the frickin place would be totally cocooned if I didn't spray it every two months.     But the first time I had to manually kill about 1000 spiders including a bunch of these wolf spiders.

I cap 'em with my trusty Daisy® BB gun that I've owned for 60 years. Gotta bring some semblance of sport to the table!

50 minutes ago, SF Bills Fan said:

When my mom passed away, I was clearing out the house in OP and I went in one of the bathrooms and turned on the ceiling fan and one of those- just like that in the picture- flew out and nearly landed on my head. I got a paper towel  to smush it and it reared up like it was going to leap and attack me. I’m not scared of spiders but that freaked me out. When I got it crunched like I was picking up a potato chip. I had no idea there are spiders like that in WNY.

Paper towel? I think my house actually has these wolf spiders. I won't go near them. I've found Raid wasp spray kills them. I'll drench the whole basement whenever I see one. Yikes. 

11 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

It's not a Brown Recluse, so there's nothing to worry about.

It doesn't look like a black widow either...there are black widows in WNY, but their reputation is far scarier than the effects of being bitten by one.  Sure, a little kid could get pretty sick/inflamed from a bite, but you almost certainly aren't going to die from it.

I was bit by a black widow spider on my finger while I was sleeping. I didn't even know I had been bit but noticed two puncture dots and some redness on my finger. I only found out it was a black widow because when I got up and was getting dressed it fell out of my hair and I captured it with a glass. I didn't get sick but ended up in the hospital overnight a few days later when a red line from an infection ran all the way up my arm and into my armpit. The doctor said I was lucky I came in, I almost didn't because it was getting late at night when I did. He said I could have lost my arm, or if it had got into my heart and organs my life.

Don't know what kind of spider that is but it's not a black widow. 

6 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Paper towel? I think my house actually has these wolf spiders. I won't go near them. I've found Raid wasp spray kills them. I'll drench the whole basement whenever I see one. Yikes. 

Ha! I'm with you. Normally I would act like Kurt Russell in The Thing and pull out a flame thrower. That time I didn't, but most insect related interactions are dealt with harshly and with flame. 

17 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ummmm, wrong about the Black Widows...at least the black widows we have in CA.  They bite and are quite venomous and my uncle was hospitalized 2 weeks and almost died off a bite on his hand.  Some people they bite can be less threatening and other it can be quite serious and even life threatening.

And that’s definitely not a black widow, which look nothing like that and are much smaller.  They are smooth with a sheen to them

The ones in Virginia when I lived there were all over grassy fields and didnt bother you, they'd scurry away.  Never got bit, saw wolf spiders growing up in Buffalo even a couple that big but didnt bother you.  The window spiders at the lake cabin in Canada my folks had were a different story.  They'd bite and you wake up with welts in the morning. I had take a flash lite butt end and kill them every evening or my brother would not sleep... they liked him... ?

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

I had take a flash lite butt end and kill them every evening or my brother would not sleep... they liked him...

So must have you.  Some family dynamics would have resulted in the brother being devoured by about the middle of August.

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...is that Maxine???............

No way do I click on that link.  It’s probably Peter Pan.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Here’s the real problem. What’s that on the floor? No self respecting Buffalonian has plush carpet in their basement! Heck we used to can tomatoes in ours for the winter. Come on Man!

Sounds like they are using it as a playroom. Or they were. 

I've had these in my house before. They are bigger than the average spider, but this picture makes it look like the size of a turantula. They're not THAT big. However they are hideous and disgusting looking. I don't think these are wolf spiders. If I find them in my house, they must be destroyed. If I see them outside, I leave them cuz they'll eat the other bugs 

Edited by Steptide

12 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I was bit by a black widow spider on my finger while I was sleeping. I didn't even know I had been bit but noticed two puncture dots and some redness on my finger. I only found out it was a black widow because when I got up and was getting dressed it fell out of my hair and I captured it with a glass. I didn't get sick but ended up in the hospital overnight a few days later when a red line from an infection ran all the way up my arm and into my armpit. The doctor said I was lucky I came in, I almost didn't because it was getting late at night when I did. He said I could have lost my arm, or if it had got into my heart and organs my life.

Don't know what kind of spider that is but it's not a black widow. 

That is a form of sepsis, which was called 'blood poisoning' in the past. You likely would been dead within a few days, had you not taken action.

• Thank you (+1) 1