Help out Matt Barkley - who knew these existed in Buffalo?

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I've seen widows around WNY, but it's pretty rare.  I mean, they're pretty skittish (as I'm sure you know), so they don't show up often.

Not sure how I'd feel about seeing hundreds of them at a time though--I used to own tarantulas, so I'm cool with spiders, but dang, that would bother me.

I hate spiders.  But honestly, killing all those in consecutive nights with poison was quite liberating and made me pretty numb to it and actually enjoyed hunting and eliminating those bastards haha.  Still hated they are here though.  I have no idea what caused it, never in my life seen anything like that and I grew up in the country when I was young and they were more prominent.  My guess is that they did some work on the stairs to the upstairs unit, and they are really old wood with an old closed in small area at bottom that is probably a black widow haven.  So my only guess is they disturbed that.  But what doesn't make sense is that they didnt show up on that one wall until several weeks later and showed up basically over night.  Some small some really big...all sizes.  

It was mostly on the one wall and my steps onto the beach that lead off that wall.  But we found some on the other side of the property too around some plants and my girls gardening table, just not as many.  

Luckily we dont really see them anymore, but I still check with the flashlight every single night I go out ready to kill those SOB's.  

Funny story, one day when I was killing a few I found in the day time, a homeless lady was walking by and asked me what I was doing and started giving me crap for killing them.  I just told her notes will be taken into consideration lol.  Then continued drenching those bastards in poison lol.  

26 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

Yep, North Buffalo/Kenmore atm. You wouldn't really expect these things around the city until you remember spiders are everywhere.

The big ones don't really bother me, they're actually pretty cool. Its the one's you can't see that get under my skin.

I’m near the airport and while I haven’t had 1 that big we do get our share come springtime 

Hard to tell how big this thing is without something next to it for scale.

I once had an accumulation of oak leaves on my roof, and tarantulas started breeding in them. Then one came in through the upstairs bathroom window. I've always been sure to keep the roof clear since then.

• Sad 1

Most spiders are venomous.  It just that most of them don't have enough or potent enough venom to give you more than a little skin irritation.  The brown recluse and black widows are the exceptions in the US.  There's no red hourglass that I can see on that spider, so that would rule out a black widow.  I'd step on it and not worry too much about what kind it is.

When my mom passed away, I was clearing out the house in OP and I went in one of the bathrooms and turned on the ceiling fan and one of those- just like that in the picture- flew out and nearly landed on my head. I got a paper towel  to smush it and it reared up like it was going to leap and attack me. I’m not scared of spiders but that freaked me out. When I got it crunched like I was picking up a potato chip. I had no idea there are spiders like that in WNY.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This was 25 years ago, yeah he recovered.  But was hospitalized for 2 weeks and was life threatening.  He was walking through an alfalfa field and his hands were hitting the tops of the alfalfa and he pulled his hand up and had a black widow on it and it bit him.  

Also, only the females bites are dangerous, so many black widow bites are not a big deal if it was from a male.  It is substantially more venomous than a rattle snake, although a rattlesnake bite injects significantly more venom into the body and is more threatening to humans as a result.  Younger and older people are more vulnerable to serious effect.  That may have been why my Uncle was so affected as he was in I think his mid to late 40's at the time of the bite.  There are also different species of black widow, some more threatening than others.  They are not "aggressive" but become aggressive if disturbed.  

The only reason I know this much is about 4 months ago out of now where, I got a massive black widow invasion literally over night.  Never seen anything like it.  I live beachfront in LA, and I am the last house on my beachfront street.  So my patio on the south side of my house runs about 6 feet away from my house and all the way to my driveway to separate my property from the bike path.  Its about 30 yards long I would guess.  Went to walk my dogs one night and I had about 20 black widows along that wall every couple feet all the way to my patio.  Killed them all with poison, came out the next night and over 20 again in similar places.  Killed them all and every night more would be back, just from that point on it was less each night.  Finally after a couple weeks I stopped finding them other than one once in a while.  Been here 10 years today to be exact, and never once had anything remotely close to that happen.  And they were just right in the open...its a cinderblock wall and a concrete patio.  Just webbed in some flower pots or from the wall to the concrete.  

And yeah, I know you said it didn't look like one, I was just agreeing with you on that and was just sharing for others what a black widow looks like as they are common here in CA.  Have no idea how often you see them in B-lo.  

Brown Recluse are definitely worse though, I know people in Vegas who have had big problems with them.  Major rule there is if you see one NEVER step on it.  They carry their young on the their belly so squishing it just makes them spread out and run.  Always use poison spray.  

I'm in L.A. too.  Sprayed a Black Widow in a friend's garage and saw it die.  Came back fifteen minutes later and  that mofo was back hanging where it was when I first saw it.  I damn near emptied the can when I sprayed it the first time.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I'm in L.A. too.  Sprayed a Black Widow in a friend's garage and saw it die.  Came back fifteen minutes later and  that mofo was back hanging where it was when I first saw it.  I damn near emptied the can when I sprayed it the first time.  ?

Whoa...I always squish them after death though ha.  Double tap haha

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Whoa...I always squish them after death though ha.  Double tap haha

I hear you.  I was too freaked out.  That thing fell off the wall, rolled around, twisted up, convulsed and stopped moving.  How the hell it came back to life I'll never know, or it was playing possum.  Either way it's just no good. LolLoL

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I hear you.  I was too freaked out.  That thing fell off the wall, rolled around, twisted up, convulsed and stopped moving.  How the hell it came back to life I'll never know, or it was playing possum.  Either way it's just no good. LolLoL

you probably just altered a species....raid resistant ..?

• Sad 1