Matt Miller says the Bills are targeting Ed Oliver at 9

HOUSE

I've wanted Oliver all along. I'll still be happy with Jonah Williams, Q Williams or J Allen if any of them fall unexpectedly. I really hope a couple QB's go before we pick so we can get an elite player. It's starting to look like Oliver will be gone before we pick, though.

I wish Thursday night would hurry up and get here. The suspense is killing me.

10 minutes ago, McBean said:

Give me more offensive playmakers.

To heck with defense.

I disagree. You'd be reaching for an offensive playmaker at 9 and we sorely need help on the DL.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Not even in the ball park. But I do think they are a perfect team who would take a 2020 first instead of a 2nd this year

If this front office, sitting at 9 overall, gives up next year’s first round pick, or this year’s second, to move up for a defensive lineman, it will be conclusive proof that they do not know WTF they are doing.  Fortunately, I don’t think they are that foolish.

5 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I disagree. You'd be reaching for an offensive playmaker at 9 

Says who?

I honestly think the Jets are full of garbage when it comes to Ed Oliver.   They are transitioning to a 4-3 defense with no edge rushers on their roster.   I find the story that they are trying to trade down a hell of a lot more likely.  That said, I truly hope Beane sticks to his MO and doesnt overplay his hand.   

I think there are 3 guys along the DLine who I'd consider pretty safe prospects, Oliver, Williams, and Bosa.   At this point you probably need to move up to 4 to get any of them, but I'd be extremely torn on giving up a 2nd to do that.   Especially given the history of the Bills moving up to number 4 overall.

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting... I think there are definitely more than 8 non-QB players in this draft worthy of the 9th pick and would not trade down. You hope this is the last time they pick in the top 10 for awhile and you already have 10 picks and not a lot of roster spots. Unless it’s to trade down for a current player like Clark or Clowney, just stay at 9 and pick the best guy on the board. Imo 

Other then the obvious players 

Bosa 

Quinnen 

Allen

White

I have 2 other guys worth a pk at 9 that's Hock & Oliver. So that's 6 players . I dont like Gary, Sweat, Taylor, Jonah, Burns at 9 I rather trade bk add some pks and get the same quality player at 14-15 . 

Here's my top 16 players 

1. Murray 

2. Bosa 

3. Quinnen 

4. Oliver 

5. Hock

6. Allen

7. White

8-16 are 2nd tier in my opinion any one of these players can go from pks 8-16

8. Burns

9. Sweat

10. Taylor

11. Haskins

12. Jonah 

13. Gary

14. Wilkins

15. Fant 

16. Dilliard 

So why not trade bk and draft anyone of these guys except for Haskins.  

Here's a mock in this Scenario 

1. Cards- QB Murray 

2. 49ers- DE Bosa 

3. Jets- DT Quinnen

4. Raiders- DT Oliver

5. Bucs - LB White

6. Giants- DE Allen

7. Jags- TE Hock

8. Lions- DE Sweat 

At pk #9 we still have the options we get a call for Haskins at 9 with Washington, let's say we get a swap in 1st plus there 2nd and 3rd pk. 

9. Skins-  QB Haskins

10. Broncos- LB Bush 

11. Bengals- OT Taylor 

12. Pack-  OT Jonah 

13. Fins- DE- Gary

14. Falcons- DE Burns

15. Bills - Wilkins or Fant 

Edited by BillsFan1988

"Bills GM Brandon Beane has not tipped his hand and has continually said that Buffalo will take the best player available. That could lead Buffalo in multiple directions, but Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller is hearing that the Bills are targeting Houston defensive tackle Ed Oliver with their No. 9 pick."

READ: Beane hasn't said anything, but "I'm hearing..."

Riiiight. 

11 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I've wanted Oliver all along. I'll still be happy with Jonah Williams, Q Williams or J Allen if any of them fall unexpectedly. I really hope a couple QB's go before we pick so we can get an elite player. It's starting to look like Oliver will be gone before we pick, though.

I wish Thursday night would hurry up and get here. The suspense is killing me.

I disagree. You'd be reaching for an offensive playmaker at 9 and we sorely need help on the DL.

If Oliver and Hockensen are both there at 9, I’m taking Hock all day.

Give me a good TE, something we haven’t had in decades, over a DT.

I want points, because a lot of points wins games.

47 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

"Bills GM Brandon Beane has not tipped his hand and has continually said that Buffalo will take the best player available. That could lead Buffalo in multiple directions, but Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller is hearing that the Bills are targeting Houston defensive tackle Ed Oliver with their No. 9 pick."

READ: Beane hasn't said anything, but "I'm hearing..."

Riiiight. 

Remember last year Galko saying the Bills were “in love” with Josh Rosen?

These dudes don’t know crap. We know more than they do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I just want to say one more time:

Just because most reporters/analysts DON'T have legitimate sources, it doesn't mean that NONE have legitimate sources. Plenty of "I'm hearing" type rumors about the Bills have come out in recent years that proved true. Yes, Beane keeps a much tighter ship and yes, the leaks are few and far between these days, but it doesn't mean they don't happen.

If you followed Ben Albright last year on Twitter, he was adamant all offseason that Allen was #1 on the Bills big board. He never wavered from that view point. Even in the face of constant harassment and mockery from Bills fans who didn't want it to be true, he stuck to his guns. People DO know things sometimes.

22 hours ago, Rob's House said:

I've seen a fair amount of speculation in the last week or so that his stock is a lot higher among NFL teams than the media & that he'll come off the board earlier than projected.

I agree. I’m seeing a lot of mocks now with him going in the top 6. Wasn’t the case a few weeks ago. 

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:33 AM, Augie said:

I just hope he makes it to #9 so we can find out. 

Bills will have to swap with Giants to get Oliver, and they'd better do it. (Oliver + our secondary = picks) = JA TD's!!!  Go Bills!!!

2 hours ago, McBean said:

If Oliver and Hockensen are both there at 9, I’m taking Hock all day.

Give me a good TE, something we haven’t had in decades, over a DT.

I want points, because a lot of points wins games.

Remember last year Galko saying the Bills were “in love” with Josh Rosen?

These dudes don’t know crap. We know more than they do.

I think we purposefully started putting a lot of smoke out there once it got out that we loved Josh Allen so that people didn't know which rumor was real and which was smoke. That doesn't really seem to be the case this year; I wonder if people haven't actually picked up on who Buffalo really wants yet.

Hock at 9 is not a terrible pick. However, the Talent lies at DL that early( in this particular draft). So for the sake of positional value, DL ALWAYS outweighs TE. I don't care how you slice it, the value in today's NFL is not a top 10 TE over a potentially dominant DL. TE would be a luxury pick, and we don't have that luxury . give me Oliver, Williams, Sweat, JA, Bosa, Simmons

..or go Taylor, Dilliard, or Williams on the flip side of the line. Otherwise, trade down and do work Beane

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Hock at 9 is not a terrible pick. However, the Talent lies at DL that early( in this particular draft). So for the sake of positional value, DL ALWAYS outweighs TE. I don't care how you slice it, the value in today's NFL is not a top 10 TE over a potentially dominant DL. TE would be a luxury pick, and we don't have that luxury . give me Oliver, Williams, Sweat, JA, Bosa, Simmons

..or go Taylor, Dilliard, or Williams on the flip side of the line. Otherwise, trade down and do work Beane

I really like Simmons...but the injury? It is a damn shame...who knows? All of this talk about Wr's and TE's at 9? We need defense...can't even stop people and get off the field. 

Edited by Rocket94

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I really like Simmons...but the injury? It is a damn shame...who knows? All of this talk about Wr's and TE's at 9? We need defense...can't even stop people and get off the field. 

Im more concerned about the video of him pulverising a woman than I am an ACL injury. By all accounts, he was protecting family and snapped, but has been a model citizen prior to and after that. A team player thru and thru. Question is, Beane has stated that we need high character guys to be able to absorb the not so savory types. One strike( a big strike) for a young man, with an injury, but has he matured? I'd give a kid who's learned a little something by bad choices a better look than I would a Frank Clark, who will cost much and seemingly keeps being a scumbag regardless. Question is, he's a 1st round player all day...who takes the risk? He may have to sit for the year. 

1 minute ago, BuffAlone said:

Im more concerned about the video of him pulverising a woman than I am an ACL injury. By all accounts, he was protecting family and snapped, but has been a model citizen prior to and after that. A team player thru and thru. Question is, Beane has stated that we need high character guys to be able to absorb the not so savory types. One strike( a big strike) for a young man, with an injury, but has he matured? I'd give a kid who's learned a little something by bad choices a better look than I would a Frank Clark, who will cost much and seemingly keeps being a scumbag regardless. Question is, he's a 1st round player all day...who takes the risk? He may have to sit for the year. 

I hear you. Sometimes we forget that these guys are human. Heat of the moment protecting his sister? How much do we know about how it developed? Most of these players grow out of this, and a change of environment can change it. I worry about the injury. The Bills have enough busted up players as it is.

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I hear you. Sometimes we forget that these guys are human. Heat of the moment protecting his sister? How much do we know about how it developed? Most of these players grow out of this, and a change of environment can change it. I worry about the injury. The Bills have enough busted up players as it is.

Yes sir, I wish I knew more about the kid's personal life, but talent alone puts him in the top 15 category to me. Does he deserve another chance? Personally, and proffesionally, I think so. We-'ll see soon enough

1 minute ago, BuffAlone said:

Yes sir, I wish I knew more about the kid's personal life, but talent alone puts him in the top 15 category to me. Does he deserve another chance? Personally, and proffesionally, I think so. We-'ll see soon enough

I agree...these are young men. What is that old saying? "Most men don't know who they are until they are 30?" Well, in a football sense we would like to see that much earlier!

3 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I agree...these are young men. What is that old saying? "Most men don't know who they are until they are 30?" Well, in a football sense we would like to see that much earlier!

Especially when we pay them millions of dollars per year!

• Like (+1) 1

I think all that stuff about the Jets loving Oliver is a smokescreen to get people to trade up. Not sure I believe they will take him at three. I think they really do want to trade down and they have to create a narrative about who will be gone. I still think they take Josh Allen and I think they are crazy if they don't. 

I think the rumors of us taking Oliver comes from rumors about what is happening in front of us. I think some of these draftniks are plugged into what some teams are going to do and the logical conclusion is that a player like Oliver might be on the board and will clearly be BPA at a position of need for Buffalo. This is one of those serendipitous type situations that Beane talked about where need and the board line up. Just my 2 cents. I think we want Oliver or Sweat. If one of those guys is on the board, I think we run to the podium. If not, I think we get into trade down talks or something. I think there is also a chance that the regime is all in on Hockenson or Metcalf, but my gut tells me Oliver or Sweat. 

• Like (+1) 2