Matt Miller says the Bills are targeting Ed Oliver at 9

HOUSE

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Realistically how much to do want to give up? 49ers and Jets are in play I believe but that is like 2019-1 & 2, 2020-1 and maybe more. I would think teams would want more picks this year in a very deep draft? The Raiders certainly would like another #1 next season, the other teams might not....

I doubt they would get the Jets to deal.  I don't know what or how much Beane should be willing to give up, but if Oliver is a guy him and McD identify as a player who is their guy, go get him.  

37 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I doubt they would get the Jets to deal.  I don't know what or how much Beane should be willing to give up, but if Oliver is a guy him and McD identify as a player who is their guy, go get him.  

I doubt there would be an in-division trade like this. I find it more likely everyone stays away from that...

2 hours ago, purple haze said:

I think they might need to get over Tampa Bay.   McCoy might be out and Oliver would fit in there very well.  Would the Raiders deal? The Raiders might do anything.

shaq , no. 9 and a 4th to oakland for pick no. 4 .  we get q. williams?

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

Not even in the ball park. But I do think they are a perfect team who would take a 2020 first instead of a 2nd this year

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Not even in the ball park. But I do think they are a perfect team who would take a 2020 first instead of a 2nd this year

I’d rather wait until their picks in the 20s to see if someone falls. Hock. Fant. Burns. Metcalf. And try and trade a 1st next year and something other than a 2nd this year to live back up and get a 2nd top tier talent 

Edited by mrags

10 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

Quinnen Williams would work too.  That said, I don't think the Jets take Oliver.  I wouldn't doubt That Gregg likes him, but he ain't the head coach or the GM.  This leadership group the Jets have?  I see grease fires sooner or later.  Bills are in great position to make a move on the AFC East.

Edited by purple haze

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

yeah you're probably right. i don't see beane parting with a future 1st and i don't see him giving up this year's picks either.  i think he'll play the let the draft come to us card.

i guess all i can pray for at least 2 qbs going . we might have to jump the lions though.

Just now, NewDayBills said:

Ed Oliver would be great, but if the Jets take him at 3 and Beane wants to boost defense, how bout Devin White? Throw him in there with Edmunds and Milano and we have the best LBs in the NFL. Not a bad reality for Buffalo. I hope McBeane play with that dynamic. 

i was thinking about how that could help the run defense...an extra 100 tackles...

edit: just read a chris trepasso article on other lbs in this class so i changed my mind. no devin white at 9.

3 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i was thinking about how that could help the run defense...an extra 100 tackles...

edit: just read a chris trepasso article on other lbs in this class so i changed my mind. no devin white at 9.

White would bring a whole new dynamic to the defense.

4 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I think it will be the Bucs or NYG. I like NYG a lot as a move up as it isn't a huge jump in terms of picks to give up. 

From Beane:

I know I say ‘draft the best player available,’ and I truly mean that. But if there’s a guy that’s best player available and he fits a need, that is also telling you what you should do with the board,” Beane said. “It’s not that we’re trying to ignore needs, but that we’re trying to fill needs. But you can’t reach for needs, and that’s why I gave the example last time. If we had not picked the quarterback at #12 last year if we had stayed put and said, ‘Well, what the heck. We’re just going to pick a quarterback at #22, no matter who it is’ without having a first-round grade on them, then it doesn’t make sense.”

Beane: And that’s why I’m going to continue at times to be aggressive when it needs to be aggressive.”

McD “I don’t even know if this is a word … responsibly non-patient,” McDermott said. “Right? It’s like calculated aggressiveness." 

From Me:

We targeted a QB last year and when up to get him...

They didn't use the word "targeting", just described their attitude about bpa vs. need. I don't see how that explains at all what "the bills are targeting Ed Oliver" means. Last year, everyone on the planet knew we needed a QB and that there were 4 well thought of candidates coming out. They got as high as they could and hoped for the to get one of the guys at the top of their board. So I guess I'll ask again, what does "targeting Ed Oliver" mean? Does it mean we are going hell bent for leather to trade up to get him? If so, that is news. Does it mean if he is there at 9 we will take him? If so, then it is nothing new as people have mocked Oliver to the Bills for months and months. News Flash: I am "targeting" Gal Gadot as my second wife. If I have a chance to get her, I will move aggressively to do so but if she is not, I am not going to just pick any second wife because then it doesn't make sense. 

Yes, please help bolster our weak defense! 

I mean, we have a whopping ONE WHOLE TEAM ahead of us in overall defensive ranking, that's embarrassing! 

Thankfully our offense is set, especially with our FA signings. And with only a measly 29 teams ranked ahead of us, there's hardly room for improvement. Josh Allen already silenced all his critics, so there's really nothing left our offense needs to do but deliver us the Lombardi trophy & seal the deal.

And with Ed Oliver anchoring the defense, the offense can rest comfortably knowing their efforts won't be in vein anymore.

7 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Yes, please help bolster our weak defense! 

I mean, we have a whopping ONE WHOLE TEAM ahead of us in overall defensive ranking, that's embarrassing! 

Thankfully our offense is set, especially with our FA signings. And with only a measly 29 teams ranked ahead of us, there's hardly room for improvement. Josh Allen already silenced all his critics, so there's really nothing left our offense needs to do but deliver us the Lombardi trophy & seal the deal.

And with Ed Oliver anchoring the defense, the offense can rest comfortably knowing their efforts won't be in vein anymore.

I get wanting to improve the offense. I really do.  The top of this draft is not about offense. Do you want to skip over an A+ guy for a B- guy because he plays on the “right” side of the ball?  I want All Pros in the first round. Don’t pick a 2nd round talent at 9 to help Allen. We can get 2nd round guys in the 2nd and later. Just one guy’s opinion. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Augie said:

I get wanting to improve the offense. I really do.  The top of this draft is not about offense. Do you want to skip over an A+ guy for a B- guy because he plays on the “right” side of the ball?  I want All Pros in the first round. Don’t pick a 2nd round talent at 9 to help Allen. We can get 2nd round guys in the 2nd and later. Just one guy’s opinion. 

Correct! One thing that has been missing on our team is blue chippers. For countless years or drafting philosophy was to fill holes, yes you can fill holes when you look at BPA, but our problem was reaching to fill holes and not placing proper round value on positions. Aside from QB a D lineman who can create havoc in the pocket is a huge, glaring hole on this team and their are 4 real good blue chip talents at the top of this draft that are that much more superior than the rest.

While I would love to surround Allen with every great player, the talent separation in both the depth in the WR and TE positional rankings and even in comparison to these 4 is much smaller. Get a few All Pros to build around and don't over draft positions based on "need".

• Like (+1) 1