Matt Miller says the Bills are targeting Ed Oliver at 9

26 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Who the hell is Mike Miller? If Beane told him this, he’d say so. Just more speculation from wannabes..

Id be happy if he’s guessed right though..

Matt's brother?

Edited by eball
  • Haha (+1) 1

Every year it seems there's a prospect who slides through the process for whatever reason only to end up back where they started when the draft process began.  Ed Oliver is that guy this year.  I would be floored if he's still on the board at 9, though I have a feeling we are going to move into the 5-7 range for whatever guy we really like.

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Buffalo Bills targeting Houston’s Ed Oliver at No. 9 overall, says B/R’s Matt Miller

Today 11:19 AM
AP Photo

AP Photo

By Ryan Talbot | rtalbot@nyup.com

Who will the Buffalo Bills select at No. 9 in the 2019 NFL Draft? That’s the million dollar question with less than one week remaining until the start of the draft.

Bills GM Brandon Beane has not tipped his hand and has continually said that Buffalo will take the best player available. That could lead Buffalo in multiple directions, but Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller is hearing that the Bills are targeting Houston defensive tackle Ed Oliver with their No. 9 pick.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/04/buffalo-bills-targeting-houstons-ed-oliver-at-no-9-overall-says-brs-matt-miller.html

Makes sense with the amount of contact and interest they have had with the kid.

As much as I enjoy all the discussion around other prospects, I cannot see Beane drafting a player at 9 that they have not gone out of their way to get to know a lot better.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rad Likes The Bills said:

i want ed oliver in the first with parris campbell or hakeem butler in the second plz 

i could live with that. the only thing is who do we cut at wr? someone's not gonna make it. we can only carry so many. that being said, beasley/brown and foster are locks.

i heard duke williams on onebillslive today and this guy is gonna ball. i'm thinking eric moulds type of ball.  then we have zay jones and mc kenzie and apparently they're gonna carry roberts for returns. i suppose with campbell or butler that could be 8?  i like campbell, but butler seems like(to me), a slippery slant/post, big play guy.

as opposed to a year ago, we are going to enter the season with a wr corp that's going to be impossible to cover. i am so psyched!

however, to follow up on your statement,  i wouldn't mind if they followed up with a jaylon ferguson type of pick after oliver.

i'm going nuts a few days away from the draft. i need to check into some kind of bills/nfl addiction program.  sheesh

30 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Makes sense with the amount of contact and interest they have had with the kid.

As much as I enjoy all the discussion around other prospects, I cannot see Beane drafting a player at 9 that they have not gone out of their way to get to know a lot better.

the only bad thing i'm afraid is that this is broadcasting to every team ahead of us to take him or get some other team to jump us by a spot or 2.

The Bills are "targeting" predictions are getting really old. There's been about 5 such proclamations. Their predictions appear to have about as much credibility as MINE. I'm sure the Bills like Oliver. I'm sure the Bills are intrigued by DK and Gary. I'm sure the Bills like Burns upside. I'm sure the Bills like J Williams technique and J Taylor's size. I have NO idea who will fall and which player they will ultimately choose. Nor do they.

I don't rule out they trade up a few spots to get Oliver. At the start of the college season this was a 2 man draft class - Bosa and Oliver. Bosa missed half the year injured and his stock is unaffected. Oliver put on a jacket his coach didn't want him to to and the media had him plummeting into the teens. If he is there at #9 the Bills take him but it is very possible maybe even likely that someone takes him before that. 

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I believe this.

I also believe that a team before 9 will take him before the Bills have a chance.

The Bills could be looking at a scenario where Bosa, Allen, Quinnen Williams, Ed Oliver, and TJ Hockenson are all off the board. Offensive line or Montez Sweat might be the only way to go at that point.

In that case I would want them to trade down, if possible and pick up an extra day two pick or more.  

Lock and Haskins are the key though.  QB's usually cause movement in these drafts in spite of the rumors of them "falling".  I'd bet Murray and Haskins both go top 10 and possibly Lock.  The Raiders are the team to watch. I think they might cause all types of commotion come draft night.

I was working on a new post, but F**k it. It will work here. All of the info out there screams an impact DLman to me for our first pick.

The TLDR, Interior pass rush is critical to disrupting an offense to McD. If there is good depth and not much separation between the tiers Beane will push that need down the draft (WRs this year). TE they look for pass clocking, run blocking and catching form a TE and there is good depth here. I almost think that you might see a TE go before a WR for us in this draft.

I always find it fun to parse through everything that's been said and try to see how we are looking at the draft overall, positions, player talent, and who “our” type of guys are. I know there are ton of threads out there already for DK, Oliver, Hock etc. But let's actually look at our visits, what Beane has said and what McD has said and see if we can logically (hard for some members here) and see who really fits the criteria regardless of our wants.

Backup info & there is a ton:

Some Beane & Mc D Quotes:

1.) General Draft info

“To me, you draft the best player available,” Beane said. “If the so-called premium positions are gone, or if you don’t have a guy that is up there at a premium position, you shouldn’t take him.”

Beane: And that’s why I’m going to continue at times to be aggressive when it needs to be aggressive.

McD “I don’t even know if this is a word … responsibly non-patient,” McDermott said. “Right? It’s like calculated aggressiveness." 

2.) On DL

“I think defensive front. I think there's definitely some depth there, it looks like, early on. “I think it’s solid. I don’t know if I want to label it as off-the-charts great. I’d have to really go back and look,” he said.

They also still have needs on the defensive line, and Beane mentioned the defensive line talent in this draft. He added a caveat, though. “If there’s truly depth at any position,”  he said, “then that allows you push that need down the draft.”

Chris Trapasso: In McDermott’s system — like most 4-3 alignments — the defensive line is unleashed on the opponent’s backfield (and quarterback) in a relentless one-gap onslaught. There’s little to no two-gapping for defensive linemen. That’s more important than anything else in this article.

McDermott’s (and originally Johnson’s) idea is that quick penetration into the opponent’s backfield from any one of the defensive linemen is the fastest and most efficient way to disrupt the offense. This scheme doesn’t “protect” linebackers against pulling guards. It’s designed to stop run plays before the pulling guard’s block can have an effect at the second level.

McD: "Yeah that's big. That's really big. To be able to get pressure from the inside... you know, people would argue that there's ways to take away the edge rusher more than there is ways to take away the inside, the interior rusher, and I would probably agree. The ability to pressure an effective quarterback from the inside out is critical when you want to play good football on defense. So, you've got to make sure that you've got enough of those guys."

3.) On WRs:

I think there's a lot of receivers, too, that, again, a lot of different shapes and sizes, but it seems like it's a pretty good group, a pretty good draft class all around. I don't think there's a position that's just, wow, thin anything like that.”

“Yeah, I don't you know, I'm not one that subscribes to a ‘number one receiver.’ We're just looking for good football players, good receivers that can make plays and that Josh can count on (that) when he throws them the ball, they're going to be where they're supposed to be and they're going to make the plays.”

You know, some of these programs now are just signaling to the receivers or maybe even an individual receiver and that's one of the things that we try to do in the formal (interviews) is we watch a little tape and we try and find out what they know. And is it do they not know it because they can't learn it or is it do they not know it because they were not taught it? And with the 20-hour rule or whatever it is in the NCAA, a lot of these coaches have gone to that, where they've got three to four different guys that are signaling to, one to the receivers, one of the backs, one of the line, and so you wish you had the these guys (getting) more development time. I mean, that's part of the process with receivers and, again, tight ends. Some of those guys come in the same thing, the ones that are flexed out and not not in line with their hand in the dirt.”

4.) on TEs

Beane said he breaks down tight ends in three categories: pass catcher, run blocker, and pass blocker. Here’s Beane’s explanation for scouting tight ends. “So as we’re going through these tight ends those are the three areas we focus on,” Beane said.

There's some guys that are some really good blockers but maybe they're not as good as receivers. There's some guys that you really don't want to block in a six tech but they're great in the passing game. So similar to receivers, there's different flavors at tight end and we've done our homework there. Free agency will be first, but the draft, there's some depth at tight end. From my point of view, and same as free agency, there's some guys that are really good athletes that maybe we need to improve their blocking. Or maybe they weren't asked to block, so we’ve got to do some more research and maybe they can once they’re taught, but there will be a growth opportunity for them if given the opportunity, whatever team they're on.”

"Yeah, I liked it when we were on offense, when it was third and about five, I knew we were going to go get a first down because we had Greg Olsen, McDermott started. "At an early age, I feel like that I learned how important that tight end position is to a quarterback and a particular young quarterback. It becomes a security blanket."

• Awesome! (+1) 4

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think they will take Sweat. Maybe he’s grown up since then but I’m sure they know about his departure from Sparty. Can’t see McD making him his showcase pick of the draft. 

What happened with him at Michigan St? Looked quick and all i can find is he left and went to Mississippi st.  No details into why

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oliver makes tons of sense!! He’s a star that plays, arguably, the position of biggest need. His skill set is EXACTLY what they need. I’m thinking that he won’t make it to 9 but if he does it shouldn’t come as a surprise if he is the pick.

Agreed on all accounts.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't rule out they trade up a few spots to get Oliver. At the start of the college season this was a 2 man draft class - Bosa and Oliver. Bosa missed half the year injured and his stock is unaffected. Oliver put on a jacket his coach didn't want him to to and the media had him plummeting into the teens. If he is there at #9 the Bills take him but it is very possible maybe even likely that someone takes him before that. 

This too