Matt Miller says the Bills are targeting Ed Oliver at 9

HOUSE

39 minutes ago, Logic said:

I believe this.

I also believe that a team before 9 will take him before the Bills have a chance.

The Bills could be looking at a scenario where Bosa, Allen, Quinnen Williams, Ed Oliver, and TJ Hockenson are all off the board. Offensive line or Montez Sweat might be the only way to go at that point.

This is my worst fear and very likely to happen if this is the case take the best trade down we can. 

Just now, BillsFan1988 said:

This is my worst fear and very likely to happen if this is the case take the best trade down we can. 

Interesting... I think there are definitely more than 8 non-QB players in this draft worthy of the 9th pick and would not trade down. You hope this is the last time they pick in the top 10 for awhile and you already have 10 picks and not a lot of roster spots. Unless it’s to trade down for a current player like Clark or Clowney, just stay at 9 and pick the best guy on the board. Imo 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Devin White 

Meh. Buffalo's defense is in 2-linebacker formations the majority of the time. They sure as heck aren't taking Milano or Edmunds off the field. So this means that we'd be spending a high pick on a guy that would be on the bench quite a bit. I suppose the argument can be made that the defensive line is rotated heavily as well, so Oliver wouldn't see all the snaps on defense, either.

Nevertheless, as talented as White may be, I don't see the value in taking a part-time, run-downs-only linebacker at 9. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, the skycap said:

I'd be very surprised. I don't think he's a Beane/McDermott type of guy. 

1) The public dust up he had with HC Major Applewhite. Not totally blaming Oliver, but a team rule is a team rule regardless of who you are.

2) Reports are that his family had him sit out, with fake injuries, games because they wanted to "protect their investment". Do you want a "me" guy or a "we" guy. I'd be curious to know the story about him having a knee injury but was jumping, catching footballs before the game.

3) Have a feeling that the Bills have something working with the Falcons. 

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Board/102951/Contents/Ed-Oliver-vs-Applewhite-124790381/

id sit out too if I already have established myself as a top pick.  The NCAA does nothing to protect them so it’s up to them to do so

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

Meh. Buffalo's defense is in 2-linebacker formations the majority of the time. They sure as heck aren't taking Milano or Edmunds off the field. So this means that we'd be spending a high pick on a guy that would be on the bench quite a bit. I suppose the argument can be made that the defensive line is rotated heavily as well, so Oliver wouldn't see all the snaps on defense, either.

Nevertheless, as talented as White may be, I don't see the value in taking a part-time, run-downs-only linebacker at 9. 

You wouldn’t draft someone that high if you didn’t have a plan or were just going to keep them on the bench. If McD isn’t capable of finding a spot for really good players then that’s a problem. We also don’t know the status of Milano’s injury recovery.

We have an unproven 2nd year MLB, a WLB coming off a significant injury and an aging SLB. I’m not banging the table for White but if he’s there then we should definitely take a long look  

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, DJB said:

Bills fans unanimously approve!

You realize the only thing we approve of unanimously is to HATE the Pats*. Everything else is debatable.

I hope Oliver makes it to #9.

Edited by qwksilver
  • Like (+1) 1

I’d be pretty thrilled. I don’t think he’s a possibility for #1 or #2 overall. Arizona will either take Murray or Bosa. I’d assume Murray, and that they’ll take whatever they can for Rosen. His latest comments just make me think they’re probably itching to get rid of him. He’s seems like a pretentious, egoist with little of the intangible qualities that are needed to be a successful NFL QB. 

San Francisco seems to be hooked in on Bosa, and if he’s not there, I see them taking Josh Allen over Quinnen Williams. 

3-8 are  more plausible landing spots for Oliver, but...

3. The Jets seem to be sticking with a 3-4. I don’t think you’ll see them drafting a smallish DT to play end in that style of defense. 

4. I see Oakland taking one of the following, in no particular preference:

-Q. Williams if he’s there.

-QB if they like a guy a lot more than Derek Carr.

-Edge Rusher if neither of the above are true. 

5. Tampa Bay originally seemed like a possibility to me, but if they’re going to a 3-4 as well I think they’ll try to get themselves a playmaking LB and then draft the trenches later on as it is a deep class, especially for DT’s. 

6. I think the Giants are smokescreening and will take Haskins at #6 or possibly swap with the Raiders or Jets to move up for him. If not they’ll take an offensive lineman like Williams or an edge guy like Gary or Sweat. Oliver doesn’t have the measurable that Gettleman seems to look for. 

7. Jacksonville seems unlikely as they’ve invested a lot in the defense and I see them taking an offensive lineman for Foles.

8. Detroit doesn’t seem to run the right scheme for him, as they do a lot of hybrid, 3-4 type stuff and I think they’ll go after Hockenson, Swear, or Gary. Patricia seems to me to be the kind of coach that’s going to mess things up there pretty badly. Similar to most Belichick protégées. 

If the best available players at this point are;

Edge: Sweat or Gary

TE: Hockenson

OL: Taylor or J. Williams

DT: Oliver or Wilkins or Simmonds 

LB: Bush

CB Any

QB: Lock or Haskins or Murray 

I think Buffalo runs to the podium to select Oliver. He is the perfect fit for McDermott’s defense and I think he was so misused at Houston that he’ll really take off in a well schemes NFL defense, which McDermott has.

19 minutes ago, Logic said:

It would be decided in training camp who the part time LB would be. If Bills draft White...may the best man win!

I feel like someones trading up for a QB or taking a QB in the top 10 that isn't the Giants.  Washington, Denver, Cincinnati, and Miami seem likely candidates.  

If only murray goes in the top 8 - which would be bad for the prospects of a blue chip guy falling to us, we'd likely get the opportunity for someone to jump denver (Wash, Miami, NYG, Cinn, Oak) .  Or move back 1 pick and snag some extra's just so that elway can get the QB he wants.  I'd be happy in either scenario.  

Edited by dneveu

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I believe this.

I also believe that a team before 9 will take him before the Bills have a chance.

The Bills could be looking at a scenario where Bosa, Allen, Quinnen Williams, Ed Oliver, and TJ Hockenson are all off the board. Offensive line or Montez Sweat might be the only way to go at that point.

Funny, this usually seems to happen...in 2007 many wanted Patrick Willis but we had to settle for Marshawn Lynch...in 2011 many wanted Von Miller but we had to settle for Marcell Dareus...in 2012 many wanted Luke Kuechly but we had to settle for Stephon Gilmore...

And all those guys were taken exactly 1 pick ahead of the Bills pick.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Funny, this usually seems to happen...in 2007 many wanted Patrick Willis but we had to settle for Marshawn Lynch...in 2011 many wanted Von Miller but we had to settle for Marcell Dareus...in 2012 many wanted Luke Kuechly but we had to settle for Stephon Gilmore...

And all those guys were taken exactly 1 pick ahead of the Bills pick.

I believe that the Bills wanted Patrick Willis in 2007. They wound up with Poz...(could never spell his name) Same with Miller/Dareus. The Bills wanted Miller. Lynch was early second round was he not? Not sure. I predict Devin White.