When, If Ever, Does it Stop?

When does it stop?

Unpopular opinion:  When there's moral hazard to being recreationally outraged.  Right now, the media puts a face to the "bad guy" but often those outraged remain nameless, free to take the shots whenever, wherever they like without any consequence to themsevles personally.  It's fun to be outraged.  You're always in the pole position and you can easily use the "See, they are really bad guys.  How dare you question my outrage!" card when somebody tries to punch back.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

It seems prudent to investigate past transgressions when related to public presentation of said person’s music, art, etc. Kate knew the lyrics to that song were racist. Perhaps if she were around she might apologize or mention that her manager/producer strongarmed her to sing it or she would lose her contract or something similar. If it offends people, then remove it. Some people now feel emboldened to mention a perceived offense where they may have remained silent years ago. It is the world we currently live in and I do not feel it is that hard to understand or comply with. 

It appears that a lot of people generally object to change. Smith’s GBA started at NYY 7th inning stretches after 9/11 so it has not been a tradition that long. Can another ‘tradition’ begin or just do something different...maybe more fun or ‘basebally’ during every 7th inning stretch? Just because GBA stops at NYY 7th inning stretches does not mean we forget 9/11.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

That is awful no doubt. I do however wonder exactly when the Yankees learned of this.

3 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

That same word appears in the song Way Down Upon the Swanee River.  So does that mean that anybody who ever sang that song should also be banned? That would be a looooong list. 

3 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

It's never going to end.  Forget that this song satirizes racism, if it offends one double-digit IQ snowflake, it must go and so must everyone and everything associated with it.  Because their feelings are more important than history and culture.

As Levi points out, it was, indeed satire.  It was also sung by a black man.  It was a MUCH different time.  Does that make it right?  Nah.  But should such irrational (in my opinion) decisions be made based upon learning of it?  I certainly don't think so.

There have been some renditions of this song that have moved me nearly to tears.  Specifically some of the live performances (which I saw on TV) during Yankees games.

I think the Yankees ... and ESPECIALLY Phily, are overreacting.  Out of fear.  And that's sad to me.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

i have heard of this native practice.

that would be a demonstrably efficient use of the $1 bill

not sure what we do in Canada, $1 and $2 coins would hurt

Coins are only good for ass firmness test. If you can bounce a coin off her ass she's a winner. If it plops like it hit a bowl of oatmeal, send her packing.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Another statue bites the dust ...

On Friday, the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers also announced its intent to distance themselves from Smith and her rendition of the song.

"We have recently become aware that several songs performed by Kate Smith contain offensive lyrics that do not reflect our values as an organization," said the Flyers in a statement. "As we continue to look into this serious matter, we are removing Kate Smith's recording of 'God Bless America' from our library and covering up the statue that stands outside of our arena."

They’re gonna need a bigger tarp.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Another statue bites the dust ...

On Friday, the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers also announced its intent to distance themselves from Smith and her rendition of the song.

"We have recently become aware that several songs performed by Kate Smith contain offensive lyrics that do not reflect our values as an organization," said the Flyers in a statement. "As we continue to look into this serious matter, we are removing Kate Smith's recording of 'God Bless America' from our library and covering up the statue that stands outside of our arena."

What on earth would we gain for mass piety?

It's only a matter of time before our anthem is stripped of us....

Our homeland pride is disappearing before our eyes,Gunner...you joined in '87..I left in '82...those "blood brother" days are tough to come by these days...

I was a "rubber stamp"....that group has thinned.

Burn my flag ,on my property ,in my backyard....and I will find a way to put you into hospitalization.

***** the new america.

• Like (+1) 1

One of most racially charged films, IMO, is the 1942 Bing Crosby classic, Holiday Inn, featuring Bing and Margorie Reynolds in black face singing Irving Berlin songs.

I suppose we should ban the movie and all Bing Crosby films and music - including, from the same movie, Berlin’s White Christmas.

After all, the Me Too movement managed to get “Baby It’s Cold Outside” banned.

7222FBB3-035C-4099-9F74-3165359594DB.jpeg

E7E7919E-602C-44A0-9187-FF8A500E3174.jpeg

Edited by The Senator

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

It's only a matter of time before our anthem is stripped of us....

Our homeland pride is disappearing before our eyes,Gunner...you joined in '87..I left in '82...those "blood brother" days are tough to come by these days...

I was a "rubber stamp"....that group has thinned.

Burn my flag ,on my property ,in my backyard....and I will find a way to put you into hospitalization.

***** the new america.

Front yard's okay?

May as well tear the pyramids down. They were built by slaves. Maybe not the right slaves to elicit the outrage that fits the narrative of the American SJWs, but slaves nonetheless. .....to each their own,  but this made up contrived fake outrage bull#### is dividing the country more than anything else. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm not the person who cares enough to point it out and broadcast it. I'm open minded. Those were different times. My grandma was racist, too. It's all she ever knew. I still loved her.

But if it's out there now, then yeah, ***** that B word. Her version of the song is meaningless. It's absence will have no effect.

Bye.

You know what I mean?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm not the person who cares enough to point it out and broadcast it. I'm open minded. Those were different times. My grandma was racist, too. It's all she ever knew. I still loved her.

But if it's out there now, then yeah, ***** that B word. Her version of the song is meaningless. It's absence will have no effect.

Bye.

You know what I mean?

Not a'zackly.