Giants going Defense? Gettleman likely tips his hand

5 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Please remember that this is the time of the year where everything that GM's say about the draft is probably not exactly true or accurate. Without the GM poker games this would be a really boring time of year football wise. The misinformation and Kay Adams ranting about the Bills "No Primetime" game is what makes this time of year bearable. ? 

I love me some Kay Adams!!!!!

43 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

This is the same guy that said about OBJ that "We didn't sign him to trade him."  He's taking a quarterback with one of his first round picks.

Well Giants going QB makes Ed Oliver (or Q. Williams) to us that much more likely. Of course they might be going QB with their second pick, in which case there are decent trade down possibilities from #9.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

There will be defensive playmakers outside of the Top 5. 

You probably can't say the same for a potential franchise QB.

If the Giants don't take a QB, there could still be another team that trades up and does.

It's also possible the Raiders decide to take a QB.

6 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Seems like that’s McBeane’s philosophy as well. Tre’Davious, Edmunds but nothing on the DL. I think that a trade up could very well be in play here for the Bills. Tampa’s area code is 727, Beane better get on the phone.

Fascinates me that some Bills fans still refuse to see Hughes as an impact player on the DL.  He's a lot better than he gets credit for.  I would argue the Bills have 5 playmakers on defense.  Hyde and Poyer...best safety duo in the NFL IMO.  White at DB.  Edmunds at LB (and Milano played like one before the injury too) and Hughes on the DL.  

So IMHO we have impact players at each level of the defense, and multiple in some cases.  Plus we still have guys with upside like Shaq, Harry, Jordan, Levi, etc that are young and will have opportunities this year to step up into a bigger role.  

I think there is almost no chance we trade up from 9 UNLESS we can do it without giving up our 2nd rounder this year.  Our offense has lots of quality players on it now, but not one impact player Josh can have as a major go to weapon.  Not one.  We got a couple nice deep threats, a small 3rd down threat guy in Cole, and solid TE.  McCoy was once a major impact player, but he was grossly outplayed by Ivory last year.  And while I believe he will be better this year, I am quite skeptical he will find the same kind of success he did earlier in his career.  

The offense needs a big time player more urgently than the defense IMO.  I am totally fine taking D at 9, but if they do go D first they better not trade our 2nd to do it as we need that (probably in a trade up back into the first) to get Josh a legit offensive weapon prospect.  

Also, we have a draft and offseason next year.  We can address any more defensive holes then too.  Its not like it has to be all in one offseason.  But offensive weapons take TIME to gel with a young QB and NOTHING is more important than developing Josh...NOTHING.  So we need to give him that guy this year so we can have a legit Super Bowl push in 2020.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Fascinates me that some Bills fans still refuse to see Hughes as an impact player on the DL.  He's a lot better than he gets credit for.  I would argue the Bills have 5 playmakers on defense.  Hyde and Poyer...best safety duo in the NFL IMO.  White at DB.  Edmunds at LB (and Milano played like one before the injury too) and Hughes on the DL.  

So IMHO we have impact players at each level of the defense, and multiple in some cases.  Plus we still have guys with upside like Shaq, Harry, Jordan, Levi, etc that are young and will have opportunities this year to step up into a bigger role.  

I think there is almost no chance we trade up from 9 UNLESS we can do it without giving up our 2nd rounder this year.  Our offense has lots of quality players on it now, but not one impact player Josh can have as a major go to weapon.  Not one.  We got a couple nice deep threats, a small 3rd down threat guy in Cole, and solid TE.  McCoy was once a major impact player, but he was grossly outplayed by Ivory last year.  And while I believe he will be better this year, I am quite skeptical he will find the same kind of success he did earlier in his career.  

The offense needs a big time player more urgently than the defense IMO.  I am totally fine taking D at 9, but if they do go D first they better not trade our 2nd to do it as we need that (probably in a trade up back into the first) to get Josh a legit offensive weapon prospect.  

Also, we have a draft and offseason next year.  We can address any more defensive holes then too.  Its not like it has to be all in one offseason.  But offensive weapons take TIME to gel with a young QB and NOTHING is more important than developing Josh...NOTHING.  So we need to give him that guy this year so we can have a legit Super Bowl push in 2020.  

Post of the day Alpha. Carry on. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree that Hughes is undervalued by Bills fans. I also agree that you dont trade up from #9 for anybody. Has to be somebody special where BPA meets need. I believe a case can be made to trade up for Q. Williams if he slips a bit and the price is right. In other words, we have filled a lot of holes on Offense this FA. I wouldnt mind a quality addition to the DL. I do not want a WR in rounds 1 and 2 - we dont have roster space for one more - after Brown, Beasley, Zay, Foster, Duke, Mckenzie and Roberts (not even considering Ray-Ray, Cam and Bolden). Among skill players, we do need a TE, but #9 is too high.

10 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

J. Hughes is for sure a play maker.  

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’m a huge J Hughes fan, my sons as well. No doubt the guy is a beast but there could be a few things not in his favor as of now. Beane inherited Hughes and Shaq for better or for worse, Hughes for the better, Shaq, hmm, it kind of seems that Beane hasn’t committed enough to him yet for my liking. Keep in mind that Jerry is coming up for a new contract.

Edited by Tipster19

11 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Please remember that this is the time of the year where everything that GM's say about the draft is probably not exactly true or accurate. Without the GM poker games this would be a really boring time of year football wise. The misinformation and Kay Adams ranting about the Bills "No Primetime" game is what makes this time of year bearable. ? 

We will play at 1:00, thank you

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

I’m a huge J Hughes fan, my sons as well. No doubt the guy is a beast but there could be a few things not in his favor as of now. Beane inherited Hughes and Shaq for better or for worse, Hughes for the better, Shaq, hmm, it kind of seems that Beane hasn’t committed enough to him yet for my liking. Keep in mind that Jerry is coming up for a new contract.

When is Hughes contract up?  

With Shaq, he was definitely an inherited guy and on shaky ground when McD and Beane got here.  But I think Shaq has battled his way into favor with them and is starting to become a solid player with upside still.  That being said, he is by no means "safe" or cant be upgraded from.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him in a trade package for Clowney/Clark or just traded in general if we end up adding someone like Sweat, Burns, etc in the draft.  

But Shaq still deserves some credit from clawing his way through hard work out of the bust pile.  He hasn't hit the expectations yet, but he worked his way into being a legit part of the team.  

11 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Seems like that’s McBeane’s philosophy as well. Tre’Davious, Edmunds but nothing on the DL. I think that a trade up could very well be in play here for the Bills. Tampa’s area code is 727, Beane better get on the phone.

I hope you're right about Edmunds, but he still has a very long way to go. Hughes is very good, but we really need 2 elite DL at both DT and DE IMO. We have multiple playmakers in the secondary.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

When is Hughes contract up?  

With Shaq, he was definitely an inherited guy and on shaky ground when McD and Beane got here.  But I think Shaq has battled his way into favor with them and is starting to become a solid player with upside still.  That being said, he is by no means "safe" or cant be upgraded from.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him in a trade package for Clowney/Clark or just traded in general if we end up adding someone like Sweat, Burns, etc in the draft.  

But Shaq still deserves some credit from clawing his way through hard work out of the bust pile.  He hasn't hit the expectations yet, but he worked his way into being a legit part of the team.  

Hughes is signed through 2019

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Also, we have a draft and offseason next year.  We can address any more defensive holes then too.  Its not like it has to be all in one offseason.  But offensive weapons take TIME to gel with a young QB and NOTHING is more important than developing Josh...NOTHING.

Love the post (agree with everything in it) and have an honest question; If you could trade up with Tampa at a modest premium (+5% or so) using 1st, 3rd, 4th, + (in this draft or maybe a future 3/4) for 5 and land Q. Williams at 5 and say Irv Smith, Metcalf (If he falls) or a Kahale Warring in the 2nd, would you do it?

1 minute ago, P51 said:

Love the post (agree with everything in it) and have an honest question; If you could trade up with Tampa at a modest premium (+5% or so) using 1st, 3rd, 4th, + (in this draft or maybe a future 3/4) for 5 and land Q. Williams at 5 and say Irv Smith, Metcalf (If he falls) or a Kahale Warring in the 2nd, would you do it?

Yeah I would do that.  I can live with trading our 3rd or even future pick, just I think that 2nd is very valuable this year in the offensive weapon category especially.  And I think with all the draft capital we have, we could move up from it too and be aggressive to get one they covet.  

Like I said, big fan of Q...so getting him would be amazing.  However, I still prefer to stay at 9 or trade back (just posted a mock trading back with Mia then trading up twice after) and get another 2nd and still get a premium player a few spots later.