Giants going Defense? Gettleman likely tips his hand

What the Bills do at #9 is critically dependent upon whether the Giants take a QB at #6. Is this a smokescreen or an honest admission from Gettleman? If he did tip his hand, it hurts our chances of getting a defensive playmaker like Oliver (and of course, Q. WIlliams). 

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/19/new-york-giants-dave-gettleman-tips-his-hand-pre-nfl-draft-presser/

We went 4-4 the second half of the year and we had three games that if we make a stop, we are 7-1. Obviously, you can’t have too many playmakers,” he said. “I have always been a big believer that if you look at the great defenses, they have a lead dog in every level. A legitimate playmaker at every level of their defense. I said it at the postseason presser and I will say it again, we need some defensive playmakers.”

7 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

Seems like that’s McBeane’s philosophy as well. Tre’Davious, Edmunds but nothing on the DL. I think that a trade up could very well be in play here for the Bills. Tampa’s area code is 727, Beane better get on the phone.

A trade up would be ridiculous. You can get an elite defensive player at 9. Period.

Also, it's smoke season guys. Whatever a GM is saying means nothing.

• Like (+1) 6

Please remember that this is the time of the year where everything that GM's say about the draft is probably not exactly true or accurate. Without the GM poker games this would be a really boring time of year football wise. The misinformation and Kay Adams ranting about the Bills "No Primetime" game is what makes this time of year bearable. ? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I absolutely cannot be the only one here who is tired of everything Gettleman says and would be perfectly OK if he took up communicating in French.

Communicating in French for him would be like taking a franchise QB. He'd be more likely to take up communicating in Pig Latin.

• Thank you (+1) 1

There will be a full scale riot in New York/Jersey if they don't take a QB in the first, and I don't see them blowing their Beckham trade loot trading up their second pick to maybe get the 4th best QB when the 2nd best was theirs for the taking.

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

He may not be tipping his hand, but he certainly isn’t wrong. In saying that, they do have 2 early picks so they can easily split them on O and D. 

I agree with you. He may already have a deal in place to acquire Rosen from Arizona.  They have an early 2nd round pick that may be enough to make the trade.  He may think that none of the QB's other than Murray are better than Rosen.  If he pulls off the trade, he keeps the two #1's and keeps the flexibility to take two good position players on either offense or defense.

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

A trade up would be ridiculous. You can get an elite defensive player at 9. Period.

Also, it's smoke season guys. Whatever a GM is saying means nothing.

Yeah exactly...I mean its almost better if they actually DO say what they are thinking because no one will believe them anyway

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

There will be a full scale riot in New York/Jersey if they don't take a QB in the first, and I don't see them blowing their Beckham trade loot trading up their second pick to maybe get the 4th best QB when the 2nd best was theirs for the taking.

1st best. Everyone sleeping on the Dwayne Train. 

• Thank you (+1) 1