Boring Draft

As a wise man said to me yesterday, we've had years of exciting drafts and boring seasons.   Wouldn't it be nice to turn that around?  If a boring draft is the price of a successful season, I'm prepared to be bored.  

By the way, I agree.  It IS boring.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I find it nice that we have lots of draft assets but do not need a QB.. I think this draft will be just as exciting for Bills fans as I expect Beane to move around a bunch and get us some top players

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

As a wise man said to me yesterday, we've had years of exciting drafts and boring seasons.   Wouldn't it be nice to turn that around?  If a boring draft is the price of a successful season, I'm prepared to be bored.  

By the way, I agree.  It IS boring.

It is boring right now. I have a feeling Beane is up to something. We may even draft someone at nine BPA that is off the radar

Edited by Rocket94

I expect them to select according to their board. We have some fine, tireless scouts on staff. But I’d be good with getting a pick or 2 extra for next year. We have virtually no one that anybody would want enough to warrant a compensatory pick, whereas NE* makes a living going this route. Maybe there’ll be a team desperate to get into the 4th Round and will offer a pick this year & next..

• Like (+1) 1

I think I’ll always have a lot of interest in any Bills  draft, but having that pick at 9 this time makes this one a particularly interesting draft to me...

A  real impact player could be there for the taking..

Im expecting the next 5 years to be comparatively boring picking in the mid 20s..

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Im expecting the next 5 years to be comparatively boring picking in the mid 20s..

What trade partners are we going to find coming up from 32? :D

• Like (+1) 1

I think we have a glaring need at DT and nearly so at OT and DE. Still, Beane did as good a job as you could expect at smoothing out the holes. I'm also expecting another big signing. I think Beane is waiting to see what happens next weekend before deciding on a move like Clowney, Clark or Suh.

If we get a great DT, a solid OT and 1 more surprise in the late rounds or UDFA at RB or LB or TE, I'll call this a good draft. Beane needs to nail the top 2 picks. I'm not impressed with what he did in the 1st round drafting the 4th best QB at 7 and trading up for a LB when better LB's were still available. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong.

Oh and draft a punter. We could use a solid upgrade there to really top off this offseason.

Edited by GreggTX

Even if a draft is average in talent, Beane’s aggressive style adds intrigue for me. I’m eager to see what he’ll be up to as he moves up and down, and who they think the gems are. We talk a lot about #9 and whether we stay there, but these guys have nailed some later round talent as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm still excited it is just a different excited compared to past years. Past years with different regimes I've been more or less worried they were going to make bad picks but excited t see who they would be. Last year I was worried we would get the wrong qb and (we did) or at least I thought we did obviously like many haters ho hated him with out giving him a chance Allen has made me come around to him. This year I'm not worried they will make the wrong choice. After two years of solid drafting I'm starting to trust bean and Mcdermott. So it isn't a nervous worried excitement for the draft it is just an excitement of seeing if we continue giving Allen the weapons to succeed or restock the defense to keep it stout. 

On 4/19/2019 at 8:39 AM, Chuck Wagon said:

Anyone else feeling this draft is just missing a lot of the lead up sizzle?  I know nothing can compare to last year for us as fans, the team equipped with a war chest of assets and a glaring need at QB, but this feels as meat and potatoes as it can get.  There's 2-4 QBs no one is quite sure where they might land, but other than that you might be looking at a massive run of offensive and defensive linemen through the first night of the draft.  But there feels like a very obvious lack of pre draft rumors, it's basically "the Cardinals don't know what to do (a surprise to no one)" / "no one wants Rosen" / "Jones or Lock may go before Haskins" and that's about it.

No.

8 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Yeah feel the same.

This is by FAR the least I've ever cared about the draft.

It's a bit strange because I'm usually a draft nut. 

In 2015 they didn’t have a first round pick and in 2016 their first pick was 19...

I think this draft has much more interesting possibilities..

• Like (+1) 2

I think it’s just that we are not trying to solve the QB quandary. That will always elevate the tension. I find nothing boring about this draft. I’m as excited as usual, without the QB turmoil.  Maybe more than anything other than last year, because I’m eager to see what Beane pulls off. 

I admit, I may have raised my expectations too high, and we won’t know for years if it’s justified. 

Edited by Augie

On 4/19/2019 at 9:00 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

My son and I will be there so we won’t be bored.  I don’t think we will be selecting at 9.  The question is are we trading up or down?  I just don’t see Beane sitting there waiting to see what falls to him. That just doesn’t seem to be his style, he is more proactive.  I think he will either identify his guy(s) and move up to grab him, or if his guy(s) are already gone, trade back and stock pile picks, maybe 2020 picks, or use the extra picks from moving back to jump right back up into the 1st round for a second player.

You covered every possibility other than staying where we are at #9 because, however other people draft, we are going to get a good, impact player there.  DT, OT or LB.

I have a feeling that Beane will go DT DE OT TE RB with the first five picks

Oliver or Wilkins in the first (Easter prayers for Q. Williams to somehow become a Buffalo Bill )

Polite or Winovich or J. Ferguson or Z. Allen is the second

Someone like Deiter or D. Edwards or T. Howard or in the third

I hope they draft a kicker in round 6 or 7 - C. Tracy or M. Gay.

This year's draft is all about strengthening the team around our QB. No more wasting draft capital trying to find that QB. It's a different kind of draft, but still very exciting. I can see going with somebody like Hockenson or an OLman with that 1st pick.  I can also see going with a DLman. Whether its an edge rusher or an interior disrupter,  who knows. Whoever it is, they are going to get a difference maker.  Don't really see a move up above 9th, but there are likely going to be moves past that. I think we are going to get some talent. With 10 draft picks, they are going to hit a few good ones. How can you be thinking boring?