Boring Draft

I'm the opposite.  This draft holds a ton of intrigue and I think Beane will be bobbing and weaving all over the place.

Gone are the boring days of the Buddy Nix "we pick in the slot we're in" drafts.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Fair point, OP. I haven't had as much time to dive into the draft stuff this year as I normally do so I'm not as up to date on the prospects as others might be. Year after year though, we usually see a "consensus" top ten rankings but almost every year there's a team that drafts a kid that most people thought would've gone later. One of the bigger surprises I can recall was Tyson Alualu going third overall in 2010. Or maybe Donte frickin' Whitner going eighth overall in 2006, yeesh. 

Last year was actually a pleasant surprise when they drafted Edmunds, I didn't expect them to jump back into the first round after all the moving and shaking they did to position themselves for Allen. If I recall, Beane said that wasn't the plan but they couldn't believe Edmunds was still there so they had to go for it. Are there any prospects this year that they feel this way about? We'll find out soon enough. I'm gonna have to follow along on my phone since I'll be in line for the 10 PM Thursday night showing of Endgame. It was a tough call, draft or Endgame but for some reason the IMAX on Transit had either Thursday 10 PM or any other day with only one showing at 11 AM. /ramble

10 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm the opposite.  This draft holds a ton of intrigue and I think Beane will be bobbing and weaving all over the place.

Gone are the boring days of the Buddy Nix "we pick in the slot we're in" drafts.

Buddy "I'll be nappin' when free agency starts" Nix.

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1

"Just" get a bunch of starters that contribute right away while on rookie deals. Don't reach.

Maybe try to get back into the 4th round and shed some of the 5-7th round picks that likely won't make team if Beane just drafts all 10 spots. 

6 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm the same.I'm looking forward to it myself.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Yes, completely.  But after last year, the bar is set pretty high.  

It’s been said before, but I’m happy we aren’t looking for a QB or drafting for desperate need 

Precisely, @Virgil Give me milquetoast drafts for the next decade! I'll take them over QB stressing and drafting for glaring needs!

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think I’m off the Hock train.  Well, I think the Bills are.  They don’t usually draft guys they don’t spend pre-draft time with. 

I find their lack of meeting with him interesting 

I do think it is possible that they have gone out of their way to keep their meeting with him secret. I think he is the kind of guy in this draft that you hide your interest in. No one seems to really know where he is going to go because no one has tipped their hand in terms of interest in him. That keeps people from trading up in front of you to get him and that Detroit at 8 is prime position for a trade up. I think Oliver or Sweat are the pick, if they aren't there Hock or Metcalf. I'm thinking one of those four, idk. It's also possible this regime is all in on Metcalf or Hock. If they draft a right tackle or Dillard I will be very dissapointed

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think I’m off the Hock train.  Well, I think the Bills are.  They don’t usually draft guys they don’t spend pre-draft time with. 

I had heard somewhere (sorry; I cannot recall the source) that nobody has a reported meeting with Hock. That could mean that Hock and his agent are just not releasing the scoops, and they have requested that the teams they met with do the same. Just a theory; I may be totally incorrect.

DTs aren’t sexy.  We’re also probably not picking high enough for a top DE.  Great prospects will still be available, but there’s so many options at 9 and so much disagreement about whom to take it’s tough to get psyched.  I expect a workmanlike draft that’s more productive than exciting - and I’m really good with that. 

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I do think it is possible that they have gone out of their way to keep their meeting with him secret. I think he is the kind of guy in this draft that you hide your interest in. No one seems to really know where he is going to go because no one has tipped their hand in terms of interest in him. That keeps people from trading up in front of you to get him and that Detroit at 8 is prime position for a trade up. I think Oliver or Sweat are the pick, if they aren't there Hock or Metcalf. I'm thinking one of those four, idk. It's also possible this regime is all in on Metcalf or Hock. If they draft a right tackle or Dillard I will be very dissapointed

@MrEpsYtown You beat me to it, but I agree!

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I had heard somewhere (sorry; I cannot recall the source) that nobody has a reported meeting with Hock. That could mean that Hock and his agent are just not releasing the scoops, and they have requested that the teams they met with do the same. Just a theory; I may be totally incorrect.

Man, I wish I read that more on this forum!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

My son and I will be there so we won’t be bored.  I don’t think we will be selecting at 9.  The question is are we trading up or down?  I just don’t see Beane sitting there waiting to see what falls to him. That just doesn’t seem to be his style, he is more proactive.  I think he will either identify his guy(s) and move up to grab him, or if his guy(s) are already gone, trade back and stock pile picks, maybe 2020 picks, or use the extra picks from moving back to jump right back up into the 1st round for a second player.

We are at #9.  It is very painful to move up from there. Look at the following from Johnson

move to           cost         additional pick in trade  (round-pick in round)

============================================

8                     50            4-26

7                     150           3-24

6                     250           3-4

5                    350           2-23

4                    450            2-13

Real good players,  potential impact players, are available al the way to maybe 12 or 16?   No need to give up a 3rd round pick (plus) unless there is really really a reason.

This draft is custom made for Buffalo. Some great talent should be available at #9 and we don't need a QB and we don't have a long list of needs

I am excited to fill out the roster with some younger up and coming players

If Brandon Beane can sniff out  a few more Matt Milanos, we are in great shape

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 2

Not at all. For years I had little faith in the coaches and front office to put a legit team on the field.  Last year, it was more anxiety than excitement, but this year I can't wait to see how they could improve this team enough to put them on track for contention.