Boring Draft

Anyone else feeling this draft is just missing a lot of the lead up sizzle?  I know nothing can compare to last year for us as fans, the team equipped with a war chest of assets and a glaring need at QB, but this feels as meat and potatoes as it can get.  There's 2-4 QBs no one is quite sure where they might land, but other than that you might be looking at a massive run of offensive and defensive linemen through the first night of the draft.  But there feels like a very obvious lack of pre draft rumors, it's basically "the Cardinals don't know what to do (a surprise to no one)" / "no one wants Rosen" / "Jones or Lock may go before Haskins" and that's about it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is a good thing, we dont have a glaring need that everyone knows we need to get.  We can go after BPA and if it doesnt fit need we are on with that.  Best scenario is Oliver falls to us at 9 if not I like white also.  Or an needy teams get jumpy and want to move to 9, either way I cant wait til thursday

• Haha (+1) 1

I hear ya, OP. Last year is impossible to top. We’d been QBless for nearly a quarter century and the FO did everything conceivable to garner trade up chips for a team coming off a playoff berth. ProBowlers flew off our shelves in trades for picks compiled to get into contention for the biggest QB Draft since ‘83. Then used the remaining collateral to move up again for a freak MLB. 

So the cupboard is bare sans a bunch of journeymen. Thus the 10 picks we grittily (sp?) acquired to begin to build around them this April. By all accounts, this is as big a Draft Class for those type of players (trench) as last years was for QB. 

Last year was a beer-filled frenzy. This year, chose a fine bourbon to sip.

• Like (+1) 5

My son and I will be there so we won’t be bored.  I don’t think we will be selecting at 9.  The question is are we trading up or down?  I just don’t see Beane sitting there waiting to see what falls to him. That just doesn’t seem to be his style, he is more proactive.  I think he will either identify his guy(s) and move up to grab him, or if his guy(s) are already gone, trade back and stock pile picks, maybe 2020 picks, or use the extra picks from moving back to jump right back up into the 1st round for a second player.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 3

It's impossible to compare to last year for us.  But even league wide it just feels like this year has no where near the jockeying for position we saw last year.  Kyler Murray (and maybe one of Haskins / Lock / Jones) feel like the only real wild cards.  Either the Cardinals are smokescreening (and don't even get me started on the stupidity of "smoke screening" the #1 pick) or they legitimately don't know what to do.  Other than that it's ?‍♂️

If you have time over the next week, I would recommend doing some research on the prospects.

The more you know about the players getting picked, the more fun and interesting the draft will be.

If you are just watching to see whether the Bills take a DE, DT, WR, OT or TE, it's probably going to be boring.

Especially because we don't have any glaring holes on the roster this year.

I usually try to get a basic understanding of the Top 100 guys, which roughly covers the Top 3 rounds.

You can get some good write-ups on NFL.com, ESPN, CBS Sports, Sports Illustrated, Pro Football Focus and Draft Breakdown, among others.

YouTube is also a great place to watch game film and highlights.

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Anyone else feeling this draft is just missing a lot of the lead up sizzle?  I know nothing can compare to last year for us as fans, the team equipped with a war chest of assets and a glaring need at QB, but this feels as meat and potatoes as it can get.  There's 2-4 QBs no one is quite sure where they might land, but other than that you might be looking at a massive run of offensive and defensive linemen through the first night of the draft.  But there feels like a very obvious lack of pre draft rumors, it's basically "the Cardinals don't know what to do (a surprise to no one)" / "no one wants Rosen" / "Jones or Lock may go before Haskins" and that's about it.

I find it exciting not knowing who or what we are going to pick

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This year is an average draft IMO. It’s way better than the Eric Fisher draft for example. There are going to be some impact players in this class as pass rushers. 

The 2013 draft class was possibly the worst in my lifetime.

• Like (+1) 2

Considering the sum total of off season roster building and its impact on the future of the franchise, i think this year rates ahead of last year.  But, last year's draft was more important than this year's so I sense from where the lack of enthusiasm originates. 

But, two things have helped boost my interest:  The mock draft similators (never played with them much prior , they are fun and they do boost one's knowledge of what's available) and the sheer number of different players mocked to the Bills @ 9.  Off the top of my head, Oliver, Sweat, Hockenson, Metcalf, Gary, Fant, Dillard, Wilkerson, Taylor,  Williams (X3), Murphy.  These are just the ones mocked to the Bills by the professional opinions (not that they are any better than ours.)

29 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If we can trade down and still get Hock I will consider this draft off to a great start. But yes you're right, nothing can top last year. 

I think I’m off the Hock train.  Well, I think the Bills are.  They don’t usually draft guys they don’t spend pre-draft time with. 

I find their lack of meeting with him interesting 

46 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

It's impossible to compare to last year for us.  But even league wide it just feels like this year has no where near the jockeying for position we saw last year.  Kyler Murray (and maybe one of Haskins / Lock / Jones) feel like the only real wild cards.  Either the Cardinals are smokescreening (and don't even get me started on the stupidity of "smoke screening" the #1 pick) or they legitimately don't know what to do.  Other than that it's ?‍♂️

I would like to get you started please 

• Haha (+1) 1