10 draft picks - Gotta trade up

59 minutes ago, Georgie said:

So where is the trade value?

There isn’t much, that was part of what I was getting at.  They aren’t flush with “premium draft capital”

56 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Why get a tight end at #9?   There have been a very few big difference makers at TE.    Think of this.   At best they get 10 passes a game in their direction. The rest of the time they are a blocker, which you get get a great blocker in the 4th round.

Same is true about WRs, except that they aren’t as much blockers as TEs are.

52 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Huh, so like the last guy who started a thread on this a week ago..... your message is.... we have too MANY picks?! Jesus we need some new material. At the very least id settle for posters who - if they dint read the board daily - utilized the search function. Then i wouldnt have to female dog as much, and people wouldnt have to female dog me for female dogging too much and the OP wouldnt get bent out of shape when the conversation they sought after doesn't materialize and man... what a wonderful world that would be! 

TL/DR STOP BEING A LAZY POSTER lol. 

You missed my point and wasted your rant.  Your obnoxious post was unwarranted.

My point is that those extra picks are late, don’t have a ton of trade value and are also unlikely to yield many productive players.  I’m confident that the team isn’t stressing that there isn’t room for 10 picks to make the roster.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Trade up to bottom of first so that we have 2 first round picks and take best combo of DL/edge and TE/WR possible.

This ^^^ except I go WR and TE 

I want to see a GIANT step forward on offense this year , I want this offense to look similar to KC , I want to see 300 yard passing games  and 4  TD’s on regular basis , 

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/18/2019 at 7:27 PM, OldTimer1960 said:

My point is that those extra picks are late, don’t have a ton of trade value and are also unlikely to yield many productive players.  I’m confident that the team isn’t stressing that there isn’t room for 10 picks to make the roster.

I’m with you on this If i could  trade all those picks to have  2 picks in the 1st round and 2 picks in the second ( sign me up ) give me  4 starters 

Edited by Putin

I’ve said this offseason...we will trade up.  Possibly more than once.  And now this even more likely given how many FA we signed, no way Beane leaves this draft with 10 players chosen.  But we will likely NOT trade up from 9 and could still trade down (for player like Clowney/Clark) or to pick up an extra 2nd (maybe even both Oakland picks if the right player they want is there at 9.  

Our second round pick is way too valuable this year to give away to move up from 9.  And the only way I think we trade up from 9 is if someone they covet falls close enough that we can move up WITHOUT having to give up our 2nd round pick.  

I think when it’s all said and done we will have chosen three players (maybe 4) in first 2 rounds.  I think we net (in no particular order) WR, DL, TE/RB with those 3 picks.  

1 hour ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Why get a tight end at #9?   There have been a very few big difference makers at TE.    Think of this.   At best they get 10 passes a game in their direction. The rest of the time they are a blocker, which you get get a great blocker in the 4th round.

Verses getting a rotational D lineman that plays 60% of snaps.  Marcell and Shaq have aren't moving the chains. 

Hock would be Allens best friend on 3rd and 6..

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BUNCH OF MULARKEY said:

Verses getting a rotational D lineman that plays 60% of snaps.  Marcell and Shaq have aren't moving the chains. 

Hock would be Allens best friend on 3rd and 6..

Fair point.  I will counter with what is the drop off from Ed Oliver to Jeff Tillery as opposed to the drop off from Hock to Irv Smith?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Fair point.  I will counter with what is the drop off from Ed Oliver to Jeff Tillery as opposed to the drop off from Hock to Irv Smith?

And I will counter with....what would you give to know what the Bills think? I’ve been to a Bills Super Bowl. I’ve been to the Masters.  I’d rather be in the Bills war room than go back and do either again. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

And I will counter with....what would you give to know what the Bills think? I’ve been to a Bills Super Bowl. I’ve been to the Masters.  I’d rather be in the Bills war room than go back and do either again. 

Absolutely, brotha!  No one knows what Beane is really thinking.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we traded up for a Q Williams or a Josh Allen, I wouldn’t be shocked if we traded back, and I wouldn’t be shocked if we took Hock, Metcalf, Oliver or Jonas Williams at 9.

• Like (+1) 1

Ok, I'll bite...

The only path I see via the trade chart to get this coveted 2 1sts and 2 2nds would require pulling off deals with Oakland and KC.

Bills give 1st (#9) 1350pts, 4th(#131) 41 pts, 5th(#158) 28 pts to Oakland for 1st (#24) 740pts,  1st(#27) 680pts

Bills give 2nd(#40) 500pts, 4th(#112) 70 pts to KC for 2nd(#61) 292pts, 2nd(#63) 276pts

Those are comparable from a pure points perspective, but the Bills would be giving up the premium picks, so they may be able to do a little better.

I'm thinking the Bills are done trading up.  Seems generally only a good idea to do so for a QB.  They have stated they want to build through the draft and we have very few home grown drafted players on the roster.   I have nightmares still about the Sammy Watkins deal- let's stand pat or move down

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Nah brah, nothing was missed. 

Rant was warrented and id do it again and more obnoxiously if you make me do it again. Your point isnt A, complicated B, new discussion (both initial and extended points within the topic C, assumed to a degree that football people who make football decisions understand football drafts and how picks are both valued and utilized. If you didnt have to stick up for your own lazy post, youd have the time to search and find this has already been covered ad nauseam. 

So, ya... double down and make it even more warrented. On second thought, maybe just start another thread to really teach me a lesson:)

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Or you could just, like, ignore the thread and move on.  Why does this make you so mad?  Now quit being a little female dog...

It doesnt REALLY make me mad. My time was wasted by the poster being lazy, so i get to dog em. Its only fair. Besides, its easy to ignore here and there but when its a this blatant of a repeat thread itll be noted

Edited by gobills1212
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

To be fair there was a giant group of bills fans who felt the same way the year so many wanted to draft Ebron, who is top 15ish tight end but certainly not a top 10 kinda guy. 

Tight end is a very hard position to talk so confidently as a sure fire hit in the draft. 

I’m not against taking him but there’s a high chance he’s nowhere near as good as people make him out to be. 

The track record of first round tight ends is actually pretty good. Not that many were busts. Yes some of them like Brandon Pettigrew and Jermanie Gresham don't end up becoming top players in the league they were really productive top 10 and even borderline top 5 players some years. 

Even Ebron a player thought to be kind of good but not worth the pick was still a top 10 tight end for 2 seasons (2015 and 2017) while also having a career year in 2016 where he was a top 5 tight end before having his break out 2018. Ebron even signed a somewhat sizeable contract with Indy averaging 9 million a season. 

I feel like as the role of a tight end expands beyond blocking and there are less harsh big catches over the middle to take tight ends will be more and more prominent in the NFL and the value of having a good one will go up. 

I would rather take a pass rusher at pick 9 but if they take a truly special tight end talent it would fit a grave need and without reaching all too much. 

6 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

For those that believe that the Bills’ 10 picks in 2019 constitute a bounty of draft capital, please note that their extra picks are in the 4th - 7th rounds.

Have a look at this list of picks - not a high success rate in those late rounds: http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=0610&type=team

I actually see at least one guy in almost every draft.  We may not have got the production but other teams have them starting.  The real issue is we dont have roster spots for ten picks and with the depth in the upper portion of this draft Im all for trading up from everywhere but 9.  Only not from 9 because of the cost.

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’ve said this offseason...we will trade up.  Possibly more than once.  And now this even more likely given how many FA we signed, no way Beane leaves this draft with 10 players chosen.  But we will likely NOT trade up from 9 and could still trade down (for player like Clowney/Clark) or to pick up an extra 2nd (maybe even both Oakland picks if the right player they want is there at 9.  

Our second round pick is way too valuable this year to give away to move up from 9.  And the only way I think we trade up from 9 is if someone they covet falls close enough that we can move up WITHOUT having to give up our 2nd round pick.  

I think when it’s all said and done we will have chosen three players (maybe 4) in first 2 rounds.  I think we net (in no particular order) WR, DL, TE/RB with those 3 picks.  

They will use that 2nd to move back into the first.  

I think it will be DL/OL, TE, OL/DL, RB.  I think we fill the trenches based on the value in this draft.

• Like (+1) 1