D&C's Roth Serves Up 9-7 Prediction With Playoffs

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m curious about the Ravens. Will they have any semblance of a passing game? Will teams figure them out and make it a tough year? 

They got pretty figured out in the playoffs. They were a train wreck on offense. They couldn't do a thing in the passing game.

I think they will grind out 7 or 8 wins because they have a quality coach, but I don't think it'll be pretty.

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m curious about the Ravens. Will they have any semblance of a passing game? Will teams figure them out and make it a tough year? 

...a WHAT??....Harbaugh was smart inking his extension quickly with their QB eggs in Jackson's basket IMO.....strictly opinion, but Watson kid is similar in style and despite being a project, FAR more polished than Jackson......

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

A win over the Ravens won’t be an “upset.”  I’m not a homer but the Bills could already be as good as the Ravens. 

Baltimore's defense was one of the best last season yet they might take a step down or two because of lost UFAs. Yet they should have a better running game with Ingram taking carries compared to their guys from last year. That said I don't like their passing game at all as not sold on Lamar and they don't have great WRs. We should beat them since we're playing that home but it's no gimme either. 

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Baltimore's defense was one of the best last season yet they might take a step down or two because of lost UFAs. Yet they should have a better running game with Ingram taking carries compared to their guys from last year. That said I don't like their passing game at all as not sold on Lamar and they don't have great WRs. We should beat them since we're playing that home but it's no gimme either. 

..think we have the horsepower to challenge them, especially defensively with Jackson at the helm.....damn well NO repeats of the Jax/Bortles escapade.....good Lord...

2 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I'd be disappointed if we don't win 10+. Not even a homer but we should be challenging the Pats for the division this year.

Playoffs are all that matter. 9-7 10-6 either way if they make the playoffs that is it.

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

A win over the Ravens won’t be an “upset.”  I’m not a homer but the Bills could already be as good as the Ravens. 

I see Lamar Jackson taking a step back this fall. I too have us at 9-7 going 4-2 in the east with NE/NY splits. Probably losing to the Eagles but the remaining games can be had....

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Why do people insist that it's only possible to make tiny increments of progress year to year?

The Rams went from 5-11 in 2016 to 12-4 the next year. Look at the Bears this year.

8-8 to 9-7 is a mediocre team. I expect more. 

They went to 11-5 not 12-4

They got some really good receivers

Gurley and Goff both made mega leaps

Oh and the biggest one?

They fired Fisher and got a new coach, mcvay

Bears did the same

Went from 5-11 to 12-4

They changed coaches (fox to nagy)

Mitch made a nice improvement

They got a really good receivers 

And the went and got Khalil Mack

I don't think we did enough at receiver or in general free agent wise to make the leap that those teams made

Jets opened as 3.5 point favorites FWIW. 

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Why do people insist that it's only possible to make tiny increments of progress year to year?

The Rams went from 5-11 in 2016 to 12-4 the next year. Look at the Bears this year.

8-8 to 9-7 is a mediocre team. I expect more. 

8-8/9-7 wouldn't be cataclysmic and certainly wouldn't cost anyone their job, but it wouldn't be "successful" per se.

As you said, look at all the teams that turn it around in a year or two. Why not us?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

Yea that is the only point I was take with Leo. Ravens are absolutely our equal and I think were better straight up. They like the Steelers rest on reputation not actual true roster analysis these days.

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

They lost Mosley, Za'Darius Smith, John Brown, Weddle and Suggs.

They gained Earl Thomas and Ingram.

Big losses.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Well the offseason isn't over but I tend to agree and have been saying it despite all their moves..... they haven't done enough at the WR position... and the front 7 as a whole is still an average to below average unit. 

I guess I'm just saying that the personnel changes we made vs those other examples of big win leap teams aren't on the same level

Getting a wr talent like obj or ab (regardless of their personality issues) and a defensive guy like Frank Clark, combined with Allen making a leap, is what it would take I think

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep.

Again, offseason isn't over. Perhaps they still make a trade for a big time WR. 

Dont see it happening but you never know. Feel it's a bit of a disappointment they haven't swung for the fences for a big talent WR. Thought it was priority number one for this team.

Might swing for the fences with a guy like Metcalf in the draft

15 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

I would take a 9-7 playoff season in a heartbeat. 

For 9-7 to happen, Allen would have to play well and it would really feel like we are going somewhere. I want to believe but I need to be shown at this point, I’m scarred.

Based on roster construction, I fully agree. I'd be fine with 9-7 with a playoff spot.

Overall though, I don't feel like that should be viewed as a major victory for the regime when you look around the league.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...agree....way too much stock put in Jackson IMO.....think he is the epitome of one read and run......strictly opinion........his pressers are hardly impressive IMO...

he was exposed in that Play-off game, that is more of what you'll see from him this year. I doubt they will have a winning record this season.